Riviera Dues ?

Yankee626

Mouseketeer
Can someone explain to me why the Riviera resort has such higher dues than older resorts ? I mean its brand new and on Disney Property. $8.31 a Point seems way high for a brand new resort. Am I missing something ?

Disney tends to overestimate the dues when a new resort opens. The older resorts are slowly catching up. Orange County is also not as friendly with the property taxes anymore, so they probably budgeted a worst case as far those went.

If you look at Copper Creek, the dues actually went down a tiny bit one year, and have basically been flat since it opened. I'd expect the same over the next 3 years at RIV.

I haven't seen RIV's budget though.

Yes CCV’ MF’s were high, but not nearly as high as RIV. Look at the MF’s for the 3 monorail resorts, all 3 have most of the highest point rooms. RIV rooms are between BLT and VGF. All the monorail resorts dues are in the $6.xx range. The more points a room uses the lower the MF’s should be. Not all resorts are the same and and the points per night covers that, but here is an example of costs per resort. SSR ( one of the lowest points per night resort) dues $6.77 with a 1 night stay in studio in cheapest season are 11 and 13 points per night for the 2 categories. That calculates to $74.47 and $88.01. VGF ( the highest points per night resort) same season for studios, dues are $6.56 and studios are 17 and 20 points. That is $111.52 and $131.20 for those rooms. Now take RIV with $8.31 dues and studio points per night are 15 and 18 for the same season. That calculates to $124.65 and $149.58per night. VGF while using more points costs less to stay at.

Some have mentioned that because it opened after the new wages were already in place., this has an impact on it.

Since annual dues are set in Dec of the year before, the other resoets may not yet have those new wages built in,

We also don’t know whether the a Skyliner cost...which had to be estimated...was done high just in case,

I think we will have a better idea when the 2021 budget is announced because they will have real costs vs, the estimated needed during year one

To me it seems like Disney is playing games with these dues. These DVC resorts are all intertwined and should share the costs . Most members use their points at all the resorts at one time or another; shouldn't they share in the cost ? The only advantage of owning one resort than another is the 11 month booking window. They are also playing games with the 2 tier type of ownership. Blue cards vs white cards.

To me it seems like Disney is playing games with these dues. These DVC resorts are all intertwined and should share the costs . Most members use their points at all the resorts at one time or another; shouldn't they share in the cost ? The only advantage of owning one resort than another is the 11 month booking window. They are also playing games with the 2 tier type of ownership. Blue cards vs white cards.
A lot of people view the lower dues as an advantage as well. That’s why a lot of people rate bay lake and Saratoga as the most cost effective resorts.

Riviera is paying for the gondola— and at a much higher percentage than other resorts that use it. Buyer beware.

Riviera's transportation is budgeted at $1.13 per point for 2020. Most other resorts are under $1 per point, but Old Key West owners pay $1.09 pp. So while the budget is higher than many other resorts, it's not outrageously so.

Exactly what makes you conclude that Riviera is paying "a much higher percentage than other resorts that use" the Skyliner?

Riviera's transportation is budgeted at $1.13 per point for 2020. Most other resorts are under $1 per point, but Old Key West owners pay $1.09 pp. So while the budget is higher than many other resorts, it's not outrageously so.

Exactly what makes you conclude that Riviera is paying "a much higher percentage than other resorts that use" the Skyliner?
I don’t think it’s much higher, but it is higher. I’ve seen a lot of discussion about he having a higher percentage since it doesn’t have a large resort to share its transportation costs with. Poly, BLT, and VGF for instance are part of much larger resorts that share the cost of the transportation. Riviera is entirely on its own. Same with old key west, and Saratoga springs.

I don’t think it’s much higher, but it is higher. I’ve seen a lot of discussion about he having a higher percentage since it doesn’t have a large resort to share its transportation costs with. Poly, BLT, and VGF for instance are part of much larger resorts that share the cost of the transportation. Riviera is entirely on its own. Same with old key west, and Saratoga springs.
Still shouldn't it be shared with the other Skyliner resorts on a per room basis and not 1/4 of the other skyliner hotels? Is that how it is at resorts with boats and monorails? To me if it is 1/4 then that really benefits Disney since they are stuck with less operational costs for the skyliner at AoA, Pop, and CBR. They would be sticking DVC owners at RR with 1/4 the operational costs.

Last edited:

Not possible, Owners are responsible for the costs associated to run the resort they have a deed at,

I’ve seen a lot of discussion about he having a higher percentage since it doesn’t have a large resort to share its transportation costs with. Poly, BLT, and VGF for instance are part of much larger resorts that share the cost of the transportation. Riviera is entirely on its own. Same with old key west, and Saratoga springs.

Economies of scale come into play in a variety of ways at each resort. Across the board, there are minimum staffing levels which must be maintained regardless of the size of the resort (front desk, maintenance, security, etc.) So yes, costs will tend to be higher for a 350-room facility like Riviera when compared to the 900 rooms at Saratoga Springs.

Aside from that, differences in building materials, resort amenities, property taxes, insured value and dozens of other aspects will cause one resort to have higher dues than another. And the points charts also play a role--since dues are expressed on a per-point basis, operating costs will vary in relation to the total number of points in the condo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter