• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

RIV and REFL

DougEMG

DIS Veteran
DVC Gold
From what I understand, the new Reflections resort is going to be a mixed hotel and DVC resort. Anyone want to speculate why RIV is DVC only?

What do you mean by planning dates? Sorry I don't understand. Thanks

Initial planning - where to put it, if the land supports it, timelines and initial renderings, etc. etc. The plan to build a resort has a lot of pre-work before anyone even says a peep in public.

There have been turnovers in leadership in both DVC and resorts that likely also align with planning stages.

Maybe because they already have CBR right next door. And they have already converted vacant deluxe rooms to villas (Polynesian, WL) to reduce the vacant hotel rooms.

300 units is about the upper limit of what DVC is willing to build in a single resort these days. The infrastructure improvements necessary for Reflections would have made the project too expensive for just +/- 300 DVC villas. In the end, there was mutual interest from both DVC and hotels, allowing them to share many development costs.

Maybe because RIV is already subsidizing the skyliner. They didn’t want it to have to subsidize a cash resort as well. Then the MF would be like $12 per point. Lol

Like DougEMG I was curious about this decision. I got to wondering if a lack of easy transportation to and from MK made DVD a little nervous. The boats used are not all that big and really pretty slow. I can remember after going to Hoop De Doo, waiting 30 minutes to get a boat back to MK (I believe we had to wait for 2 boats before there was finally room on the 3rd) and the trip itself took something like 15 min-so a total of 45 min to get from Ft Wilderness to MK. I really believe the biggest selling point for a DVC resort is location, with easy access to park(s).

Maybe because RIV is already subsidizing the skyliner. They didn’t want it to have to subsidize a cash resort as well. Then the MF would be like $12 per point. Lol

DVC dues don't pay for non-DVC facilities. If anything, the dues probably would have been lower since the costs associated with general resort operations would be lower, things like front desk, recreation, security, transportation, and so on. Since Riviera is all DVC, the dues are paying 100% of those costs. If there were hotel rooms, those costs would be split based upon the number of DVC vs cash guests.

DVC dues don't pay for non-DVC facilities. If anything, the dues probably would have been lower since the costs associated with general resort operations would be lower, things like front desk, recreation, security, transportation, and so on. Since Riviera is all DVC, the dues are paying 100% of those costs. If there were hotel rooms, those costs would be split based upon the number of DVC vs cash guests.
You must work for Disney. Lol

There is no telling what all Disney pays for with DVC dues. I mean, there does need to be a level of trust there with this, but I no longer put anything past them.

Can someone please fill me on on what exactly "dvc only" means--I'm confused because you are able to book Riviera rooms on the non dvc Disney site. TIA

Can someone please fill me on on what exactly "dvc only" means--I'm confused because you are able to book Riviera rooms on the non dvc Disney site. TIA

A small number of villas are available for rent at all of the DVC resorts as a function of the complicated trading programs offered to members. However, all of the rooms at Riviera are DVC villas--there are no standard hotel rooms.

For the next couple of years, cash availability at Riviera will be at its peak since the resort is not fully sold thru the timeshare program. Right now, Disney owns most of the points and will market those rooms just like any other hotel room. This is the case for every DVC resort they've ever built.

A small number of villas are available for rent at all of the DVC resorts as a function of the complicated trading programs offered to members. However, all of the rooms at Riviera are DVC villas--there are no standard hotel rooms.

For the next couple of years, cash availability at Riviera will be at its peak since the resort is not fully sold thru the timeshare program. Right now, Disney owns most of the points and will market those rooms just like any other hotel room. This is the case for every DVC resort they've ever built.
Thanks for responding. Now I understand.

I was wondering if the RIV location would not be viewed as deluxe for a hotel component by people who normally would book a deluxe hotel.

Given that wilderness Lodge is deemed to be less deluxe than the resorts on the monorail, will be interesting to see how reflections does.

Given that wilderness Lodge is deemed to be less deluxe than the resorts on the monorail, will be interesting to see how reflections does
I would think the bigger concern is being directly adjacent to FW, which I assume is more of an apt comparison here. I actually suspect though if they reopen the Nature and/or Walking path between the three resorts they will make it much more of a desirable location for all 3, increased dining, shopping, and recreational choices (the latter is a huge advantage of FW and those guests will be more concerned about that). If they keep the boat doing the loop too it really adds 4 resorts all accessible with each other directly (and I would assume the bus would still run between the 3). It be amazing if the train (or a new updated version) was finally built connecting the 3 resorts, but Disney has no incentive probably.

My thoughts on Riviera are it does not seem to have the same amenities that many of the other Deluxe DVC resorts have. There seemed to be a "formula" for a while, having a QS, a table serve and a signature restaurant, having a Community hall, this resort seems to have less of these features. It just does not seem to offer as much. Just my perception.

My thoughts on Riviera are it does not seem to have the same amenities that many of the other Deluxe DVC resorts have. There seemed to be a "formula" for a while, having a QS, a table serve and a signature restaurant, having a Community hall, this resort seems to have less of these features. It just does not seem to offer as much. Just my perception.

Umm, Riviera has a QS, 2 bars/coffee shop, signature restaurant, 2 pools, and skyliner. So far we have more dedicated amenities than at OKW, SSR, AKV, VGF, and BLT. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter