Rethinking/Replanning my park bag

vicarrieous

DIS Veteran
So I currently carry a medium/small sling backpack when I am in the park but after this last trip I am rethinking my choice and looking for something new.

I am the lone backpack wearer in my group of 4 (DH/me/2boys 10&8)and am a lighter packer but like having something for stuff. I don't want to go to a full sized/bigger bag because that will just allow my travel companions to have me carry more things. I would like to stay the same-ish size, but I am looking for something a bit more comfortable and stylish with organization in mind. A sling or regular backpack would be my preference and not lounge fly. Any fun suggestions or want to show off what you carry?

On our last trip, this is what I carried in my bag:
-phone (sometimes both mine and hubby's)
-Wallet
-sunglasses case
-hand wipes & sanitizer
-mask pouch
- Bottle of water
-two travel umbrellas
-gum/mints
-small bag of pins for trading

I’m always thinking about what to use when we go. In the past I’ve usually used a medium cross body but I really don’t like having it hanging across me all the time or on my shoulder. I’ve never done a backpack cause I know I wouldn’t like it. This year I decided to go with a fanny pack and I don’t care what people think. It will hold all my stuff which is very similar to your list and it has a bungee-like holder on the outside to hold a bottle.

I’m always thinking about what to use when we go. In the past I’ve usually used a medium cross body but I really don’t like having it hanging across me all the time or on my shoulder. I’ve never done a backpack cause I know I wouldn’t like it. This year I decided to go with a fanny pack and I don’t care what people think. It will hold all my stuff which is very similar to your list and it has a bungee-like holder on the outside to hold a bottle.
I have thought about a fanny pack too, but I don't like how they feel.

I have thought about a fanny pack too, but I don't like how they feel.
I get it. I tried a wristlet one year. Didn’t like that either plus the strap broke and I ended up having to buy a purse. Luckily found a cute black and white modern Minnie pattern crossbody for $20. I used that purse one more trip and decided just didn’t like the crossbody thing anymore. Wish I could just be like my husband and wear cargo shorts and carry very little at all in his pockets.

I usually go bagless but my last trip (in April) I knew I would need extra masks and sanitizer so I used a fanny pack. The one I got holds a water bottle so that was nice while grabbing things at F&G. I actually took two or three and used different ones on different days. I wear skorts that have zipper pockets so some days I just didn't take a bag. My phone fits in one pocket, it has a little holder on the back of it that I can put my room key, cc and ID in. Then the other pocket would hold a small bottle of sanitizer, a snack size ziplock with some extra disposable masks and I would carry my water bottle in my hand and hang my umbrella by it's strap on my wrist. Sometimes I wouldn't take the sanitizer but put a couple of little packets of hand wipes in the ziplock with my masks.

With that little, I recommend a small string backpack. Make sure the string/ties are soft. I bought mine at WDW. Yes, it’s one big pocket, but I use ziplock bags inside to group little things to make them easier to find.

My husband usually carries our backpack. Since he is not going on this trip, I ordered a Kavu Rope sling bag. I am hoping it works well!
I got one of those to replace my absolute favorite park bag (an ancient Baggalini style that is no longer made). I’ve been using it as a purse to see if I’ll be okay with it and I think it will be a very good light park bag. That picture makes it look huge, but it’s really not. I love the compartments. As long as you don’t overload it, you should be fine. I’m worried about the ropes rubbing on my shoulders with tank tops.

I‘m going to keep using it as a purse and take old the faithful Baggalini. I wish they’d bring the style back!

I did not like the feeling of the sling bag against my chest. I got a smaller backpack from Travelon. Jen Lefforge also recommended the medium City Pack from Kipling, which is about the same size. My issue with the backpack is I prefer easier access to my iPhone. I found a thing called a Clakit on Amazon to attach a pocket to the backpack strap.

I did not like the feeling of the sling bag against my chest. I got a smaller backpack from Travelon. Jen Lefforge also recommended the medium City Pack from Kipling, which is about the same size. My issue with the backpack is I prefer easier access to my iPhone. I found a thing called a Clakit on Amazon to attach a pocket to the backpack strap.
I second the phone issue, that is why I tend to like a sling backpack, but I will look into that suggestion!

This last trip I used a Fanny pack. There are some nice Fanny packs now on Amazon and you don’t have to wear them around your waist, you can wear them diagonal across your chest and there were times I just put it over my shoulder with the clasp closed.

I take a few different size bags on vacation, and choose the one that best suits the day. In viewing the list the OP provided, my Overland Equipment Donner bag would work. It’s a medium size crossbody bag. On each end outside is a space to hold a water bottle. I use one for water and the other for an umbrella. There is a flap with a Velcro closure on one side that opens up to a zippered compartment for cash or cards, and several small pockets to organize items like gum, mints, lip balm, tissues, hand wipes, etc. There are two pockets of different sizes that are good for holding a phone. On the opposite side is an open pocket, good for holding park maps and festival passports. Inside the main zippered compartment, there is a side pocket with the remainder of the bag being open space. The strap is wide, and made out of what looks like car seatbelt material. The strap length is adjustable to go from a hand held bag, to a shoulder bag, to a crossbody bag. The bag can also go in the washer for a good clean when you get home. I also used this bag on an international trip, where it performed very well. I usually keep a large ziploc bag in it, so if it rains, I can stick my phone and camera in the ziploc bag inside the crossbody bag.

A several years ago, I stumbled onto some women’s cargo calf length pants that actually have pockets you can put stuff in. I bought two of each color, and only wear them on vacation, as I doubt I will ever find them again. I prefer to go bagless and just carry my wallet, phone, a few handwipes, and a couple Advil in the pockets. If I want to carry the same items and happen to not be wearing pockets I take my Dooney HM Pouchette crossbody bag, which is just large enough to hold those items. I also have a wallet on a belt, with a phone compartment, for when I want to travel super light. I prefer it to a fanny pack, as the belt is narrower and more comfortable to wear while sitting. I just like having options.

OP, I would do a little pushback and not be the pack mule for your family. Mom had me carrying my own bag in the park at the age of your youngest. It was a crossbody bag, so I wouldn’t just set it down. I even carried my own spending money in it. Dad carried stuff in his pockets and camera bag, and mom just carried her items and the small first aid kit. You shouldn’t have to choose what bag to carry based on anything other than what you want to carry in the park. Just my two cents. Happy shopping!

OP, I would do a little pushback and not be the pack mule for your family. Mom had me carrying my own bag in the park at the age of your youngest. It was a crossbody bag, so I wouldn’t just set it down. I even carried my own spending money in it. Dad carried stuff in his pockets and camera bag, and mom just carried her items and the small first aid kit. You shouldn’t have to choose what bag to carry based on anything other than what you want to carry in the park. Just my two cents. Happy shopping!

OP, I completely agree with the above. I remember being really worried about this too, and purchased a much smaller bag than I would have actually liked that fits hardly anything. After sitting down and talking with my SO, it ended up being a quick fix and he got himself a small bag for his water bottle and wallet. If your husband wants to take more stuff, he is more than welcome to get a small fanny pack or drawstring bag for himself, which can be less than $10 bucks on Amazon or Walmart. Perhaps that would also "allow" him to help out with your kids' stuff, if he wasn't "able to" before.

Now with the kids it might be a little more difficult... I know my kid-self was always guilty of "eyes bigger than my stomach pockets". Either way, it sounds like your family are (intentionally or not) making you bear the load. I don't mean to project or pretend to know your family dynamic, but I can truly sympathize with being the pack-mule of the group. You deserve to enjoy your trip as much as your family does.

I have found the Loungefly’s to be the perfect size! If it were me, I’d only carry one umbrella (make it a UV one) and maybe small ponchos for the others. Otherwise let them deal with it themselves. Guys/kids can carry their own, small bags!

Other things I usually have in my bag: small fan, extra batteries, charging cord, extra socks, baggies, and bandaids

So I currently carry a medium/small sling backpack when I am in the park but after this last trip I am rethinking my choice and looking for something new.

I am the lone backpack wearer in my group of 4 (DH/me/2boys 10&8)and am a lighter packer but like having something for stuff. I don't want to go to a full sized/bigger bag because that will just allow my travel companions to have me carry more things. I would like to stay the same-ish size, but I am looking for something a bit more comfortable and stylish with organization in mind. A sling or regular backpack would be my preference and not lounge fly. Any fun suggestions or want to show off what you carry?

-Wallet
-sunglasses case
-hand wipes & sanitizer
-mask pouch
- Bottle of water
-two travel umbrellas
-gum/mints
I’d just say consider ponchos from the dollar store instead of umbrellas - WAY lighter. And if you loose it its no big deal. And, umbrellas are a nightmare navigating large crows IMO. I also had snacks in my bag along with all the above minus umbrella, plus poncho.

I’d just say consider ponchos from the dollar store instead of umbrellas - WAY lighter. And if you loose it its no big deal. And, umbrellas are a nightmare navigating large crows IMO. I also had snacks in my bag along with all the above minus umbrella, plus poncho.
We had both, ponchos and umbrellas. the Umbrellas were mainly for sun.

I'd also consider having your boys carry a sling bag/drawstring backpack of their own. If they carry their own water bottle, hand sanitizer, snack, and poncho you could keep your same size and travel lighter weight, or downsize a bit. As long as they don't carry anything irreplaceable it's a great way to encourage them to share the load.

When my daughters were your sons' ages we had them start carrying their own stuff. They rapidly cut down on what they "had" to bring and even started combining into a mini backpack that they took turns carrying!

I personally hate having to take off a backpack to get into it. I carry a medium cross-body bag from eBags that can fit a disposable water bottle inside and still zips closed. The only thing I carry for DH is his sunglasses case -- he wears cargo pant or shorts.

My contents: water bottle, snack, phone, backup charger, travel wallet, sunglasses, lip balm. Sometimes ponchos or pin lanyard.

PHXscuba

I don't want to go to a full sized/bigger bag because that will just allow my travel companions to have me carry more things.
No suggestion on specific bags, but your logic is sound: don't set yourself up to become the family pack mule.
-Wallet
-sunglasses case
-hand wipes & sanitizer
-mask pouch
- Bottle of water
-two travel umbrellas
-gum/mints
Thoughts on lightening your load -- push the limits of what you really need:
- Don't carry other people's stuff -- your husband almost certainly has bigger pockets than you do.
- Do you need your whole wallet? Can't you just take out your ID, Disney tickets, credit card and some cash? I mean, in my wallet I have a bunch of gift cards, insurance cards, etc. that I won't need on a park day. I like to put my cards/cash into a small ziplock and keep it in my front pocket, where it is sure not to be wet or lost.
- Do you wear the sunglasses all day? Do you ever switch them for regular eye glasses?
- What is a mask pouch?
- Consider ordering ice water from Quick Service restaurants instead of carrying your own bottles. It's easier than ever since you can order ahead -- you can even order 2 cups per person. Your kids are old enough to understand not having water THIS VERY MINUTE.
- Consider disposable ponchos instead of umbrellas. Definitely don't carry two umbrellas. If you want shade, consider a hat. For the kids, choose a hat that can clip onto a belt or belt buckle if they get tired of wearing it.
- How into pin trading are you? That's one fad that I just don't get.
I'd also consider having your boys carry a sling bag/drawstring backpack of their own.
Totally agree! At 8 and 10, they're perfectly capable of carrying their own things.
I usually go bagless but my last trip (in April) I knew I would need extra masks and sanitizer so I used a fanny pack. The one I got holds a water bottle so that was nice while grabbing things at F&G. I actually took two or three and used different ones on different days. I wear skorts that have zipper pockets so some days I just didn't take a bag. My phone fits in one pocket, it has a little holder on the back of it that I can put my room key, cc and ID in. Then the other pocket would hold a small bottle of sanitizer, a snack size ziplock with some extra disposable masks and I would carry my water bottle in my hand and hang my umbrella by it's strap on my wrist. Sometimes I wouldn't take the sanitizer but put a couple of little packets of hand wipes in the ziplock with my masks.
This sounds a lot like me: I choose shorts or skirts with pockets, etc. But -- yeah -- masks and hand sanitizer are necessary now. We're not out of this pandemic stuff yet.

Last edited:
I've tried a few things over the years, cross body, small fanny pack,etc. My favorite is the Jansport Half Pint backpack. Its comfortable on my back and its small. I usually carry a similar list of things you had.

-Wallet
-sunglasses case
-hand wipes & sanitizer
-mask pouch
- Bottle of water
-two travel umbrellas
-gum/mints
Im not sure if your last trip has been since they switched to the walk thru scanners at bag check, but if you carry a sunglasses case (the hard side ones in particular), take it out before going thru the scanner and hold it in front of you. It sets off the scanner and sends you to further screening if you leave it in the bag.

as for bags, I used to be a full backpack girl, but Im down to a disney dooney crossbody in the parks for the most part. They come in a few different sizes and they are adorable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter