Rethinking my entire DVC strategy...help!

I'm in a similar situation. Already own BWV for Epcot, but I want another Epcot resort, something that has a long expiration for after 2042, and Direct points for benefits. I also want a good deal lol

In your situation if you decide to buy riviera and have to sell some contracts down the line, I would probably sell VGF, and then the other resale contracts first, not Riviera. It doesn't seem you are attached to VGF in particular or magic kingdom (and you have CCV for that as well). You would still have direct benefits and SAP through 2070 if you kept Riviera as well, then you could rebuy VGF or other resale contracts later. If you have a situation where you have to sell and liquidate everything, then it doesn't really matter what you have because it's all gone.

I'm considering buying the RIV points, trying to sneak them into BWV or BCV whenever I can, and stay at Riviera or rent some out when I can't. Book your BWV stays a couple nights at a time, see if any of the dates are available at 7 months with RIV points, then save the few BWV points for next time. Or do some 1br with the RIV points at BWV or BCV when available. Their point charts are better than RIV so it's better than a 1br there. If you aren't in love with RIV then worst case you have a bunch of direct sleep around points to use at anything else they come up with as well as BWV and BCV when they reopen.

If you loved Poly I would say wait for that, but it doesn't sound like you do. You want a new Epcot resort like BWV or BCV with a long expiration. Me too! But RIV is the closest thing right now so I would buy that or wait and see what they do. I have heard rumblings on some podcasts that they are thinking about changing some of the restrictions, but I'm taking that with a massive grain of salt. But who knows. Good luck with your decision!

I'm in a similar situation. Already own BWV for Epcot, but I want another Epcot resort, something that has a long expiration for after 2042, and Direct points for benefits. I also want a good deal lol

In your situation if you decide to buy riviera and have to sell some contracts down the line, I would probably sell VGF, and then the other resale contracts first, not Riviera. It doesn't seem you are attached to VGF in particular or magic kingdom (and you have CCV for that as well). You would still have direct benefits and SAP through 2070 if you kept Riviera as well, then you could rebuy VGF or other resale contracts later. If you have a situation where you have to sell and liquidate everything, then it doesn't really matter what you have because it's all gone.

I'm considering buying the RIV points, trying to sneak them into BWV or BCV whenever I can, and stay at Riviera or rent some out when I can't. Book your BWV stays a couple nights at a time, see if any of the dates are available at 7 months with RIV points, then save the few BWV points for next time. Or do some 1br with the RIV points at BWV or BCV when available. Their point charts are better than RIV so it's better than a 1br there. If you aren't in love with RIV then worst case you have a bunch of direct sleep around points to use at anything else they come up with as well as BWV and BCV when they reopen.

If you loved Poly I would say wait for that, but it doesn't sound like you do. You want a new Epcot resort like BWV or BCV with a long expiration. Me too! But RIV is the closest thing right now so I would buy that or wait and see what they do. I have heard rumblings on some podcasts that they are thinking about changing some of the restrictions, but I'm taking that with a massive grain of salt. But who knows. Good luck with your decision!
I feel like I've heard podcasts including DVC Fan say they're considering removing the restrictions essentially since Riviera opened so yeah massive grain of salt and is unlikely IMO to materialize and should not have any weight put into it. Otherwise agreed, you don't even have to use the expensive RIV points at BW, just book RIV at 11 months to guarantee somewhere close to Epcot and then at 7 months try and grab a studio/1BR at BWV with your resale points and take advantage of those cheap point charts while they're available. Save the direct RIV for a trip to VDH, CFW or RIV :P

Last edited:
A big thank you to everyone for jumping in and sharing your thoughts - I really appreciate you taking the time to help me think this through from different perspectives and asking the tough (but needed) questions.
I think we all actually love these kinds of threads, I know I do!! :)

SO true... plus, after 18 years or so you could decide you've seen enough of Disney and be glad to just have it expiring.... Making a 40 year commitment is a huge thing!
Not really, you can just sell it.

Interesting, that’s the first I’ve heard of this. Can you give their names/epsiode? I’d love to hear more
I'll try to link it, we'll see if it makes it past the filter. I feel like I've heard it a couple times, the latest that I can remember was on this episode https://***********.com/prospective-dvc-member-question-and-answer-session-with-nick-kauffman/

I feel like I've heard podcasts including DVC Fan say they're considering removing the restrictions essentially since Riviera opened so yeah massive grain of salt and is unlikely IMO to materialize and should not have any weight put into it. Otherwise agreed, you don't even have to use the expensive RIV points at BW, just book RIV at 11 months to guarantee somewhere close to Epcot and then at 7 months try and grab a studio/1BR at BWV with your resale points and take advantage of those cheap point charts while they're available. Save the direct RIV for a trip to VDH, CFW or RIV :P
Yeah maybe I didn't emphasize MASSIVE grain of salt enough lol. Definitely don't base any decisions on it, but it could be interesting. If we ever get to taste that salt and they did ease them up I would say it will probably gonna be splitting them into original 14 restricted and new resort restricted where resale restricted RIV, VDH, CFW can book at each other, but not at the original 14 while direct could still book anything. But that would still be an improvement and make them more palatable to buy without your value tanking as soon as you buy them direct.

That's definitely my plan to try and save some direct points for the newer resorts. I'll use my AKV and BLT points during the refurb for extra BWV and BCV if I can

Last edited:
Interesting, that’s the first I’ve heard of this. Can you give their names/epsiode? I’d love to hear more
I don’t think xxxxx actually has that information, I think he’s just trying to build support in removing restrictions, he is very against them. (I agree with him, but I’m not so sure there is that info out there)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hot take alert! BCV resale prices will go down in 2025 because of the lengthy pool refurb. In your shoes - I would not purchase anything right now. I would bide my time and wait to see what the next announcement is for DVC development and only then decide. I would also wait and keep an eye on that BCV resale market this coming winter (when prices usually come off anyway because of dues) and see if I couldn't pick up a nicely contract with some banked points on it. IMO BCV will always hold a higher value than BWV because of Stormalong being such a hot commodity (plus, I think that clown slide is creepy as hell and yeah...that's a hard pass for me 🤣).

Hot take alert! BCV resale prices will go down in 2025 because of the lengthy pool refurb. In your shoes - I would not purchase anything right now. I would bide my time and wait to see what the next announcement is for DVC development and only then decide. I would also wait and keep an eye on that BCV resale market this coming winter (when prices usually come off anyway because of dues) and see if I couldn't pick up a nicely contract with some banked points on it. IMO BCV will always hold a higher value than BWV because of Stormalong being such a hot commodity (plus, I think that clown slide is creepy as hell and yeah...that's a hard pass for me 🤣).
I have some good news for you about the clown side… [it’s been gone for a couple years, I believe it was replaced by an adorable M&M cartoon? We’ve never actually used the pool there but plan to this summer!]

I have some bad news about BCV points…j/k, sorta. I am biased as a BCV owner, but I would be surprised if anybody who loves SAB sells because of one lengthy refurbishment (especially if it enhances the pool area at all)— I plan to book later in the year, and if it’s running behind schedule I will consider banking or staying elsewhere. I assume BCV will (very slowly) decline towards zero, but it should still be worth at least $20 to those of us who love it as of 2040, so if you do a straight depreciation from $140 to $20 over 16 years, that would be less than $8/yr… but I think it’s low point chart and inflation might actually keep it above $100 for a decade.

Last edited:
I have some good news for you about the clown side… [it’s been gone for a couple years, I believe it was replaced by an adorable M&M cartoon? We’ve never actually used the pool there but plan to this summer!]

I have some bad news about BCV points…j/k, sorta. I am biased as a BCV owner, but I would be surprised if anybody who loves SAB sells because of one lengthy refurbishment (especially if it enhances the pool area at all)— I plan to book later in the year, and if it’s running behind schedule I will consider banking or staying elsewhere. I assume BCV will (very slowly) decline towards zero, but it should still be worth at least $20 to those of us who love it as of 2040, so if you do a straight depreciation from $140 to $20 over 16 years, that would be less than $8/yr… but I think it’s low point chart and inflation might actually keep it above $100 for a decade.
I still refuse. This is not normal behavior

Attachments

• Nanny-Chair-Boardwalk-Inn-768x1024.jpg
    Nanny-Chair-Boardwalk-Inn-768x1024.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 5
I'll try to link it, we'll see if it makes it past the filter. I feel like I've heard it a couple times, the latest that I can remember was on this episode https://***********.com/prospective-dvc-member-question-and-answer-session-with-nick-kauffman/

Yeah maybe I didn't emphasize MASSIVE grain of salt enough lol. Definitely don't base any decisions on it, but it could be interesting. If we ever get to taste that salt and they did ease them up I would say it will probably gonna be splitting them into original 14 restricted and new resort restricted where resale restricted RIV, VDH, CFW can book at each other, but not at the original 14 while direct could still book anything. But that would still be an improvement and make them more palatable to buy without your value tanking as soon as you buy them direct.

That's definitely my plan to try and save some direct points for the newer resorts. I'll use my AKV and BLT points during the refurb for extra BWV and BCV if I can
I’m surprised this is blocked. I like xxxx podcast and found it very useful as a new buyer. (removed name of podcost host since the site is blocked).

The only way they can split off the O14 from the newer resorts is to completely dissolve BVTC, and then create two new trading companies. Currently, the DVC resort agreement for all the resorts has it tied to BVTC, and the only way to remove a resort from that is under specific reasons.

As long as a resort remains part of BVTC, it has the right to trade into any of the other resorts based on the way that resort entered. It is why RIV, VDH, and the CFW Resort Use plan all can have restrictions because they entered with those terms (and yes, I know some believe it should not have been allowed).

And the restrictions work now because of the restricted resorts blocks out resale from each of the other resorts in exchange for their resale points to be restricted. We do tend to think of O14 as one big group, but in reality, they are individuals with their own DVC resort agreement.

I think if they decide to do anything with restrictions, it will be remove them, or as they build more projects (and I think add to the trust model), the trust resorts will have better trading options amongst themselves ahead of those non trust resorts.

ETA: thought of a way it could work…maybe.. the restricted resorts DVC resort agreements get updated to allow resale points to work amongst themselves but not O14…however, as more resorts are added, it effectively becomes a system without them so why not just remove. That’s why I think they either stay or go.

Last edited:
SO true... plus, after 18 years or so you could decide you've seen enough of Disney and be glad to just have it expiring.... Making a 40 year commitment is a huge thing!
So much this, if you already own at resorts that expire later, having one or two that drop off in 18 years will probably be a welcome and happy ending to years of memories, with still more to come!

Agreed with others about 18 years being a long time. But you seemed scared about value regarding resale which is scaring you off from Riviera. At that mindset, it should scare you off from BCV and BWV as it is highly unlikely you’ll recoup from resale on those either as the years dwindle.
I’m personally team Riviera. I love the skyliner and wide world of restaurant options it provides. Hot take Caribbean Beach has some AMAZING food options and that adds value to my RIV purchase for me.
We were scared too initially. We bought SAP resale at a STEAL at SSR and we have so far gotten Poly, CCV, and BRV with them. We directly bought a small RIV contract because we too were worried about resale value. Now I want more RIV points. The resort is laid out wonderfully, has fireworks views from STANDARD rooms (good luck getting those without owning), and it’s quiet. You’re connected and far away at the same time. TEAM RIV.

Now I want more RIV points. The resort is laid out wonderfully, has fireworks views from STANDARD rooms (good luck getting those without owning), and it’s quiet. You’re connected and far away at the same time. TEAM RIV.
** EDIT *** Non-purchased related side comment:

You know, I wonder if there will be a similar effect at SSR from the Drone Show if they make it permanent as you can see it from many rooms in Congress Park. Seeing how SSR Preferred is either Springs or Congress Park, you aren't assured of having a DTD view.

I am ambivalent about RIV. Don't love it, don't hate it. However, I think my points go farther at other properties.

** Back to regularly scheduled post programming **

The thing to remember with the DVC purchase is that you will have it for many years. How you visit now may change, or DVC can change the dynamics of what you bought (such as they did to VGF1 owners) to make your ownership experience different. Personally, I would want the maximum flexibility that I could get out of any purchase. Also, if I could not use it at Aulani, no chance am I buying it.

Last edited:
Do we really think that people are going to change a DVC purchase decision (tens of thousands of dollars or more) because of a DRONE SHOW?!

Do we really think that people are going to change a DVC purchase decision (tens of thousands of dollars or more) because of a DRONE SHOW?!
Actually, the point there was more a side note that SSR Preferred will be harder to get than SSR Standard because of the view. This part of my post had nothing to do with purchasing. I was commenting on the person who said Standard was desired at RIV due to fireworks views. I wonder if SSR will experience a similar effect.

The purchase comments were more the last paragraph.

You know, I wonder if there will be a similar effect at SSR from the Drone Show if they make it permanent as you can see it from many rooms in Congress Park. Seeing how SSR Preferred is either Springs or Congress Park, you aren't assured of having a DTD view.

I am ambivalent about RIV. Don't love it, don't hate it. However, I think my points go farther at other properties.

The thing to remember with the DVC purchase is that you will have it for many years. How you visit now may change, or DVC can change the dynamics of what you bought (such as they did to VGF1 owners) to make your ownership experience different. Personally, I would want the maximum flexibility that I could get out of any purchase. Also, if I could not use it at Aulani, no chance am I buying it.
ʻae au

facebook twitter