Resurrecting an oldie but goodie! What is the craziest thing you have witnessed on a cruise?

At least, from what I saw, people were well behaved. The stories coming in from WDW and DL were much more dramatic in terms of guest behavior.
What were guests doing at the parks? We were on the WBPC and supposed to surprise our kids with 5 days at DL, but it closed before we got off the boat. People were very well behaved and respectful during the cruise, but it was crazy to be there while the whole world was falling apart. We did not want to get off of the Wonder!

What were guests doing at the parks? We were on the WBPC and supposed to surprise our kids with 5 days at DL, but it closed before we got off the boat. People were very well behaved and respectful during the cruise, but it was crazy to be there while the whole world was falling apart. We did not want to get off of the Wonder!
Screaming at cast members. Blaming them for the resorts/parks closing. Stuff like that.

I also thought cruisers were well behaved and respectful. I still love the Wonder.

Last September on the Wonder in Alaska... My husband and I skipped the shows to walk off our dinner every night. It’s always really lovely and quiet on the deck at that time but one night this man and woman were playing a noisy game of shuffleboard and getting drunker by the minute. When we passed them on our last lap, the man had jumped on a bench and was twerking in the window. Never saw that on a Disney cruise before.

This one isn't that great, but it's all I have. We were waiting to leave one of the Western Caribbean Islands and the ship just sat there long past the time we were supposed to have left. We keept going on the verandah to see what's going on. All the gangways have been pulled but one, with a group of cast members waiting. Suddenly, a family of three jumps out of a minivan. The wife and daughter run for the ship as the dad pays the driver. Then the dad starts running, looking upset, hot, and stressed. The crazy part? A fair amount of people start booing the family as they board. I never understood why people were upset at the poor family that clearly made a stressful mistake or had an emergency, when it had absolutely no material impact on the rest of us.

Screaming at cast members. Blaming them for the resorts/parks closing. Stuff like that.

I also thought cruisers were well behaved and respectful. I still love the Wonder.

Those people are the worst. I've worked in retail before and I have some stories from that. In terms of cruising, nothing that really sticks out from mine other than just passengers thinking that the world revolves around them and that everything is going to collapse because their vacation isn't going EXACTLY how they planned

This happened to be us as well, not on a cruise though. We were on a duck tour in Seattle. The lady in the row in front of us pulled her portable potty chair out so her daughter could go. I was so grossed out by it, if the potty fell over it would have spilled all over our feet.
That is revolting. DCL shouldn't let people bring portable potties onboard.

Last edited:
This was decades ago.

I was with family members on a cruise in Europe, not my immediate family. I was 13. The crew members were friendly with those at our table and I engaged in general conversation with everyone.

One of the crew members grabbed my arm in a hall and asked me to meet him somewhere after my family members went to sleep. I was confused and a bit freaked out. Of course I didn’t meet him. He was very rude to me after that for the rest of the cruise, and purposefully had the wrong food brought to me at meal times. It was unpleasant. I didn’t really know what to do, and I felt very uneasy. I didn’t know what/how to tell the people I was with.

While not the topic for this thread necessarily, I had a very nice experience on a different cruise when I was 22. It was a much larger cruise chain, and there wasn’t anyone near my age. This wasn’t an issue, I really was enjoying the cruise, ports, and my family. But they encouraged me to talk with members of one of the cruise bands, who appeared to be possibly in their twenties or thirties.

So I did on one of the last nights, after they played. It was one of the most pleasant evenings of my life. There were two who stayed with me to talk. We talked for hours about what it was like on the ship, where they were from, what they wanted to do in life, music, just everything. It was fascinating. Eventually, we were all very tired and said goodbyes. It was really very cool and I am grateful for that whole cruise and that evening.

We were waiting to leave one of the Western Caribbean Islands and the ship just sat there long past the time we were supposed to have left. Then the dad starts running, looking upset, hot, and stressed...The crazy part? A fair amount of people start booing the family as they board. I never understood why people were upset at the poor family...
Because when the ship departs late from a port due to certain guests being irresponsible, it sometimes leads to other guests losing time at an island the next day that they were looking forward to, and possibly even missing an excursion entirely. We had that happen on the Fantasy. We missed a special excursion that we had basically planned the whole cruise around, because the ship had left a few hours late at the previous port due to late-arriving guests.

Getting back to the ship on time is just part of being a responsible cruiser. DCL even provides time zone change notices when needed- there is no excuse for being late.

Last edited:
This one isn't that great, but it's all I have. We were waiting to leave one of the Western Caribbean Islands and the ship just sat there long past the time we were supposed to have left. We keept going on the verandah to see what's going on. All the gangways have been pulled but one, with a group of cast members waiting. Suddenly, a family of three jumps out of a minivan. The wife and daughter run for the ship as the dad pays the driver. Then the dad starts running, looking upset, hot, and stressed. The crazy part? A fair amount of people start booing the family as they board. I never understood why people were upset at the poor family that clearly made a stressful mistake or had an emergency, when it had absolutely no material impact on the rest of us.
If I kept thousands of people waiting and the worst thing that happened was that I was booed by a few strangers, I'd call that a win. On my last DCL cruise I missed sail away because of some late jerks (that didnt even have the decency to rush back on to the ship, they sauntered and seemed to enjoy the boos). I had an activity scheduled an hour after sail away was supposed to be. I really enjoy watching the approaches and sail aways and this cruise only had the one stop.

How sad! They should have cheered like people used to do when a server dropped a tray in a restaurant. It’s that humorous acknowledgement that people make mistakes and it’s okay. Getting to the ship late could happen to almost anyone.

Those people are the worst. I've worked in retail before and I have some stories from that. In terms of cruising, nothing that really sticks out from mine other than just passengers thinking that the world revolves around them and that everything is going to collapse because their vacation isn't going EXACTLY how they planned
I also worked in retail through my 20’s and had a woman bring a pair of shoes back that her son wore in Florida for a week. The complaint was cosmetic and I offered to glue where the factory missed. We had special shoe repair items on hand to handle repairs and adjustments if needed. I miss those tools and I was quite handy with them.
I was unable to return the worn shoes and had to follow policy. We always let people know to “wear them on the carpet if you are unsure you will keep them” The shoes need to go back on the sales floor on returns.
I could not honor her request for the return since they were easily repairable.
She angrily said, “It was obvious why your not married!“
At no point was my relationship status mentioned she just whipped that one right out of no where.
She never let me repair the shoes either.

On another note, if Disney Adventures has a problem, I thought they wait. If a
medically necessary incident/accident occurred they also might wait. I would never shame a person with boo’s. You just don’t know what happened.

I was on a cruise once were they had three “?Mr. bright stars?” (I think I have the name wrong there) A cook was injured, for one lady came out on a stretcher from a MDR, didn’t see what happened on the third. We turned around because a man had a bowel obstruction and rushed him to the nearest Island hospital(boy did we haul butt after that! You could feel the pull!) The high speed turn was super fun too!
A lady was hit by a motorcycle, A young boy broke his leg or arm, had to stay at port. Someone had a lot of paperwork to fill out on that cruise.
We also left late every port and you probably can see why for some. But one name was repeatedly called at each port as we were waiting to pull away. And a request for anyone that knew the whereabouts of this same woman Happened at each port. I still don’t understand what happen with that lady other than she was never on the ship when she supposed be. So there are stories out there.

I'd like to post what me and some friends/coworkers witnessed but I might have to delete it and give myself a warning for posting something R rated. Let's just say what happens in Wavebands after it close, stays in Wavebands. :earseek:

On an unrelated note, this really wasn't crazy but we found it funny. Back in 2016 DH and I did the Castaway Cay Challenge, running the WDW Marathon on Sunday, and then boarding the Dream the next day to run the 5K on Wednesday. This was our first and only full marathon and we were not walking very well that day. We spent the afternoon where we always spend it on our first day, at the Cove Bar. We had a perfect view of the curved stairs across the pool, that go up to the next deck. Almost every person we saw on the stairs, especially walking down which is harder than going up, was walking just as bad as us. It was like no one on the ship could walk normally. :rotfl2:Clearly we could tell who the marathoners were.

I had the displeasure of sailing on the ship at the same time as a “self entitled “ woman with her 2 boys, one a teenager, one around 10 or so. They were also on our dining rotation. Every night, this woman would order everything from the entire menu, the day before so her kids didn’t have to wait to get their food, plus a platter of chicken tenders, ask the waiter for fresh pepper all over the food. Now, this poor waiter would grind pepper for about 5 minutes straight, no joke. The kids threw rolls at each other then the whole family would barely eat anything from the table of food before getting up and walking out. Their place was a mess when they left. Their waiter was almost in tears by the end of the cruise. Same woman, went to a happy hour where you pay one price and drink for an hour. She ordered 30 drinks and had them sitting in the floor because her table was full! She was carried out she was so drunk.

Because when the ship departs late from a port due to certain guests being irresponsible, it sometimes leads to other guests losing time at an island the next day that they were looking forward to, and possibly even missing an excursion entirely. We had that happen on the Fantasy. We missed a special excursion that we had basically planned the whole cruise around, because the ship had left a few hours late at the previous port due to late-arriving guests.

Getting back to the ship on time is just part of being a responsible cruiser. DCL even provides time zone change notices when needed- there is no excuse for being late.

1) We made it to the next port exactly on time. 2) You have no idea whatsoever what caused them to be late.

By the look on all of the family members' faces, they knew they were late and were very lucky to be making the ship. The clearly weren't taking their time thinking the ship should just wait for them. They were literally running and panicked. Who knows what happened. Maybe it was a medical emergency. Maybe the car broke down leading to very unusually delays even though they left plenty of time to get back. I personally would never boo someone if I didn't know the whole story. Especially a family that looked so stressed out already. And, this is coming from someone who would come back two hours early if on my own, just to be safe.

If I kept thousands of people waiting and the worst thing that happened was that I was booed by a few strangers, I'd call that a win. On my last DCL cruise I missed sail away because of some late jerks (that didnt even have the decency to rush back on to the ship, they sauntered and seemed to enjoy the boos). I had an activity scheduled an hour after sail away was supposed to be. I really enjoy watching the approaches and sail aways and this cruise only had the one stop.

I don't think you would have booed this family. You seem like a nice person and if you have seen how stressed out they all looked, you would have realized it was an emergency of a very bad mistake. I think they all lost a couple years of life after that one. They certainly weren't thinking the ship should wait for them because they were special. I'd post the video, but I wouldn't want the family to feel bad if they lurk here.

I personally would never boo someone if I didn't know the whole story.
I would never boo anyone either, even if they did cause me to be late. I'm too polite.

But I understand where the booers' annoyance comes from. In this case, everyone was fortunate that the ship made it to the next port on time despite the delay, but it often doesn't work out that way. Missing part of your hard-earned vacation due to someone else's carelessness is beyond annoying.

Anything is possible, but I'm not going to make excuses for pier runners. The vast majority of the time, carelessness is their issue. An accident or medical problem could have been called in, so they would have been in communication with the ship and not crazy frantic upon reaching the port as you described.

Last edited:

We were on the Fantasy last year the week before Easter and couldn't dock at Castaway because of under currents in the water and insanely high winds. The captain tried 3 times. Although bummed, we made the best of it. I love enchanted garden and the buffet was open for lunch so we went down there. All throughout lunch, we heard other cruisers on the floor above us just flat out screaming at Guest Services about not being able to visit Castaway.

I was bummed to miss it on that trip but even more floored about people's behavior.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter