Resort parking fee using Uber?

joelkfla

DIS Veteran
There shouldn't be of course. But I was wondering:

Has anybody staying onsite without a car given their MB to the Uber or Lyft drive to open the gate? If Disney is using resort guests' MB going thru the gate to trigger a parking fee, that could be a problem.

what?

They're not using resort guests MB to trigger a parking fee. I wouldn't worry about it. How would that work if you were an overnight guest with a car but you left the resort 3 times in one day and came back in? Would you pay 3X the parking fee?

Took Uber back to OKW twice and was not charged a parking fee but I'm DVC so that may not be a good indicator.

Last edited:
what?

They're not using resort guests MB to trigger a parking fee. I wouldn't worry about it. How would that work if you were an overnight guest with a car but you left the resort 3 times in one day and came back in? Would you pay 3X the parking fee?
No, they could set a flag on the folio when the MB is used at the gate. If the flag isn't set by the end of the day, then no charge for that day. If it is, charge one day's fee, and clear the flag for the next day.

But if they're not using the MB, how do they know how many days to charge when a guest decides to rent a car mid-stay? Is it on the honor system?

at any rate it is problematic to use a guest's MB scan at the gate to charge them for parking, since, as pointed out, guests can use Uber/Lyft, a taxi, a Minnie van, a car service, or be in someone else's car. It would be too much trouble to sort it out so I don't believe they do it that way.

I was at AoA 3 weeks ago, we used Uber twice to get to the resort. The driver said "Uber" and I think just one time they scanned my band. No charges added. I heard they scan license plate #'s and maybe tie it to the magic band reader.

what?

Took Uber back to OKW twice and was not charged a parking fee but I'm DVC so that may not be a good indicator.
Actually, they are. According to the CM I've spoken to about it.
But, no, an Uber doing a drop off won't trigger a parking fee.
Matter of fact, the CM I spoke to specifically said "a guest could even get around the parking fee by pretending to be a Uber doing a drop off"
Because when Uber/Lyft drivers come up and tell the guard they are dropping off, no MB is scanned.
At least they have never scanned ours and we use Uber/Lyft a lot

also you can always just have your uber driver say you have a dinner reservation. Disney has never checked that I know of, when i had guests visit me at the GF

Don't give your MB to the driver. Drive up to the gate and have the driver say, "Dropping off." to security. Then there isn't even the possibility of being charged.
This exactly! I've taken uber a few times on property and I've never handed over my magic band, nor would I. The uber driver just checks in with the security guard.

Matter of fact, the CM I spoke to specifically said "a guest could even get around the parking fee by pretending to be a Uber doing a drop off"
Because when Uber/Lyft drivers come up and tell the guard they are dropping off, no MB is scanned.
I was thinking about if the Uber driver used the Guest's MB to go thru the automated gate. I've done that a couple of times at All-Stars when the line at the guard shack was long.

So the lesson to be learned is not to do that anymore. :)

We used Uber Polynesian to AOA, they definitely scanned my band, I opened the back window.

And there will be some with no shame who will actually do this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter