Resale - Stripped vs loaded for ROFR?

SarahWI

Mouseketeer
We have 2 contracts (1 resale, 2010 and 1 direct, 2013). We are looking to add on via resale market.

we feel strongly about getting the same UY - does it matter as much as I think? Or should we be open to other UY?

what is more likely to be taken via rofr assuming all other data is equal? Stripped or loaded? We aren’t in a huge hurry so immediacy of points is not an issue but would rather not have to go through multiple cycles of bid/rofr/loss if possible.

thanks!!

Last edited:
Yes, loaded can completely flip the math.

Especially now, when contracts are WAY loaded, assuming you can use it.

Yes, loaded can completely flip the math.

Especially now, when contracts are WAY loaded, assuming you can use it.
So loaded more likely to be taken? Or stripped more likely?

We don’t need the points right now so are fine with a stripped contract.

I am admittedly a math nerd.

If you don't need points until next year, maybe I'd buy a loaded contract then. The loaded points flip the math, and there are outliers in resale in a normal market.

Right now, resale is stripped.

That said, no new construction at DVC... Maybe we are all used car dealers now?

We have 2 contracts (1 resale, 2010 and 1 direct, 2013). We are looking to add on via resale market.

we feel strongly about getting the same UY - does it matter as much as I think? Or should we be open to other UY?
I think it matters.

My advice is to keep the same use year. By far, the vast majority of reports that I've seen regarding account/website/booking & other IT issues involves multiple memberships. IMO, any hassles you may encounter finding the same use year are worth it to minimize the possibility of IT problems. Those always seem to occur at the worst times - when MS is hard to reach, when you need to book at 8 am on your 11 month window or you are stalking to fill a waitlist, etc., etc.

Unless you plan to use the new resale contract separately and will never need to combine points from it for the same vacation, keep the same use year. Again, I know multiple memberships can be managed, but IMO, the "benefits" do not outweigh the issues you may encounter.

I think it matters.

My advice is to keep the same use year. By far, the vast majority of reports that I've seen regarding account/website/booking & other IT issues involves multiple memberships. IMO, any hassles you may encounter finding the same use year are worth it to minimize the possibility of IT problems.

thanks for reinforcing our thoughts on UY!

We are in the same shoes as you. I currently have a June UY at AKV and we want to buy resale at either PVB or BLT. I'm aiming for a June UY since it makes things easier on the managing side too.

I am also wondering about a stripped vs loaded contract. Some of the ones I've seen don't have any points coming in until next year and we'd honestly be ok with that given that it's so hard to get a booking right now for when we typically like to travel. That is kinda pushing me away from loaded contracts, mainly those that clearly banked points into 2021. I just can't see us using that much more before it's time to bank them. I'm definitely apprehensive to go too low because I don't want to risk having it taken during ROFR. Dilemmas Dilemmas. lol

I would keep the same UY if it is the same resort. If not, you can go with a different one, but know the caveats. I have 2, but use them for 2 different trips and basically never combine them, and they are at 2 different resorts. If I added on to either, I would match the UY for that particular resort, I would not get a 2nd UY for the same resort.

IMO it is more advantageous for disney to buy a stripped contract as it counts toward their minimum ownership requirement, but I do not think it really matters much if at all. Residential Unit could be more important. Disney is buying points via ROFR to resell them, so to me it makes sense that they ROFR a 300 point contract vs 2 150s, as they will pay less per point. I am not sure I would factor that into my buying decision. I'd go for the best contract that fits my needs.

Definitely keep the same UY unless you have a specific reason to have a new one

I bought a Dec UY when I started going in April and May which was horrible with my original June UY. But I use those pointa independent of my other UY..which is now August.

In terms of what is more likely to be taken, I do t think there is any set rule. I have seen both taken and it doesn’t always make sense.

Total price can be more of an indication. For example, if a contract is priced at $115 but seller is covering both dues and closing costs, then that is going to more at risk than one that has buyer paying it all, regardless of the points status.

All you can do is put in an offer that you feel is best and good for you, and go from there!

Good luck!!

This is a great question and feedback especially regarding keeping the same UY. Another add-on question might be; if one owns at a resort and they want to add-on points should they heavily consider just adding on at their current home resort in the same UY?

We are in this position right now. So far, it seems adding on at the same resort would provide the benefit of more points at the 11-month window which means more flexibility and options. Assuming one "bought where they wanted to stay" and wants to use the extra points to book studios at 7-months at AKL Jambo it seems like a good strategy (unless of course you know you want AKL Jambo studios Savanah view then the point could be made to buy there. Dilemmas!).

Last edited:
one nice thing of having a couple of use years is you can do one time transfers for both use years. That could help on some trips you plan on taking in the future.

I am in the boat of having the same UY as it is just so much simpler to manage. Also I’m okay with different resorts with the same UY if you are using your points more for SAP. We own ALV and SSR but both Dec UY.
As far as ROFR the tracking data really does not show a big difference between stripped and loaded contracts. So I would just buy the best “value” contract that you find and it will either pass or fail either way. My personal opinion is that the $pp delta in a stripped contract versus a fully loaded contract is not nearly as large as it should be. I mean the market sells stripped contracts too high relative to a fully loaded contract. There are outliers, but for the most part I always look for loaded contracts since let’s be honest most people are adding on because they need more points. Buy a stripped contract almost always gets you into a borrowing situation that gets hard to get out of. Or you buy something and have to wait a year or two to use the points, and I do not think the cost savings justifies the trouble.

if one owns at a resort and they want to add-on points should they heavily consider just adding on at their current home resort in the same UY?
We are fortunate in terms of our current contracts and traveling style: we have enough points to do 8 nights in a 1 BR each year (just alternate between our home resort) with a few points to spare/to bank. Our goals for a resale are short term and long term.

Short term goal is to have "sleep around points" to use on the high cost rooms ie Poly bungalows where we currently cannot stomach spending our BCV or VGF points on: so book maybe 6 nights for FW at one of our current resorts but then 2 nights at a high cost room using the new contract.

Long term goal is to have a replacement for beach when 2042 rolls around since its impossible to guess what Disney will do. We want to buy a contract at a newer resort where we are happy to stay: really we are talking BLT at this point. We want a non-2042 within walking distance of a park and where we can book a 1BR. VGF would satisfy that but we would like something different.

one nice thing of having a couple of use years is you can do one time transfers for both use years. That could help on some trips you plan on taking in the future.

I agree that different UY could have prevented our personal current situation of a glut of COVID points expiring 1/2022 but I am not sure we want to manage 2 independent contracts.

Buy a stripped contract almost always gets you into a borrowing situation that gets hard to get out of. Or you buy something and have to wait a year or two to use the points, and I do not think the cost savings justifies the trouble.

Thank you for your thoughts! immediacy of points doesn't matter to us and I am happy to bank points from the new contract or even suck up a loss if we have to. Good to know we don't have to overthink stripped vs loaded in terms of ROFR.

Good luck with the sale.

I have two use years. June UY, direct at VGC and April UY, resale at Aulani. We don’t plan to share these resort points, so it doesn’t matter in our case.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter