Requesting a Handicapped Parking Pass

Not being stupid but couldn't you transfer plates??

Here you can get them for 1, 3 6, 12 months, 3 or 5 years. So there are options :) here.

They require a medical form here but I think the doctors here sign it just to placate the patient. :/ I've noticed handicapped passes/plates have jumped tenfold over the last 2 years.
Fred Meyers use to have 6 handicapped spots. I could always find one with several to spare. Now they have a entire row, 25+ spots and Im lucky if I can find a spot.

DSister is in a wheelchair with a service dog and a side ramp.....3 weeks ago at our local shopping plaza some bozo without a valid placard parked next to her illegally and blocked her in.....sister got stuck outside for 15 minutes, police came and ticketed car.....girl came out of store saw what was happening and began cursing at police and threw the ticket at them, they called for back-up and gave her a ticket for assault as well, then they found out the placard did not belong to her. She got a 100.00 ticket for parking in the lines, 1000.00 ticket for misusing a placard, not sure of fine for assault, and person whose placard she used lost it for good.....then they took her out of there in cuffs for being disorderly with police. Sister was in tears due to the verbal abuse she took but the girl who did this is in a heap of trouble and the poor person whose placard she used lost it! Sister said she will never again confront someone after the way this person acted and is glad she called police instead of finding out for herself!

It is a bad thing that happened to your sister, but obviously the people who misused the tag (both the loaner and the borrower) got what they deserved.

I have my County Police department non-emergency number programmed into my cell phone and I will call in to report cars which misuse the handicap spaces. I will do this even if all handicap spaces are not in use. Often the police are able to get there in time to write a ticket.

Originally posted by Lachesis00
No I am talking about if you drive ONE car all the time ;) Like I have my car and I have plates. I also have the pass for other cars or traveling.

In Alaska we have plates on all 3 of our cars. Is that not the same in other states? The first plate is free, the additional plates we pay just like other plates.

Rachel, when I first got my handicapped tag, I could choose either one portable hanging tag or one set of metal license plates (set being front & back for one vehicle). I don't know if my state's MVA charges for more than one set of plates - I wouldn't be surprised if they did :).

I work in West Chester, PA, and park in a public garage facility next to our building (accross the street from the court house, too). There is a guy who also parks there and he always parks in a h/c space. He does not have a plate, but apparently he has a placard; sometimes it is hanging from the rear view mirror, some days it sits on his dash, and some days, you don't see it anywhere. A couple of weeks ago, I saw him park his car in a h/c spot on the 2nd level, and then proceed to WALK down the stairs with NO trouble what so ever. This really annoyed me, b/c this illistrates to me that he is capable of walking up and down stairs, so why does he need to park in that spot? There are plently of others around! I blew out my knee and with the help of therapy and common sense, the limp is hardly noticable anymore. I do not have a placard, nor do i think I should. I would put this guy in the same boat as myself (from what i have frequently observed), and think he is abusing the parking spot. I really want to call the cops on him! Glad to hear that others do the same!

Doombuggy, we had a discussion here before about disabilities & how not every disability is obvious. Yesterday I went shopping with a friend. We both have a handicap hanging tag. I have a knee condition, & some days are better than others. Sometimes I use the tag & other times I don't. However, my friend is in a wheelchair, so her need for the tag is obvious. I am not saying what you observe is not accurate, but unless one knows why the man has the tag, it is hard to judge.

Sadly here it's almost impossible to find out who owns the placecard. They keep track in a notebook... They can not easily tell who has more then one, who might have reported it stolen, the cops can not run a check on it....

How about those who park in the handicapped w/no tag or placecards? I've never seen such abuse as I have this past year or so.

One nice thing about the county I live in (Morris County, NJ) is that the penalty for parking in a handicapped parking space without a DMV permit is a mandatory court appearance. If someone gets a ticket for improper parking, they have to go to court. The judges like to humiliate the offenders in public that way. This is in addition to the mandatory fines. (Was testifying for work one day and saw the parade of offenders get chewed out by the judge.) Very satisfying.

I wish it was that simple here. Not once have I ever seen in the court reports someone being in a handicapped spot when they shouldnt.

Just yesterday a friend's husband parked in the handicapped (sitting in the car waiting for his wife). I know no one has a pass or plates. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter