Repacking ponchos

maxiesmom

The Mean Squinty Eye Works
I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to repack rain ponchos once they have been used. I have a bunch from Disney, but I would like to get them as small as possible before I pack them. Right now they are huge! I'm debating just buying some new ponchos at the dollar store so they don't take up too much room.

Anyone have a good method for making the ponchos small again?:confused3

I made the mistake of not making sure they were completely dry before packing them. It rained the day we were leaving. We were in a rush to pack and we folded them and put them in a bag. When I got around to unpacking them when we got home, they had already started to mildew. I had to toss them. Ever since we bring the cheap ones and throw them away when we are done.

Good question. I used mine last year & there is no way I got it all folded up that small again. Think I'll get a new one from walmart.

The best folding method is to fold it lengthwise twice (the fold runs from the neck to the waist), then fold it the other way 2-3 times.

The trick when folding these things is to A) make sure they're completely dry, B) make sure all the snaps are snapped, and C) press all of the air out of them after each individual fold. TO accomplish this, you need to fold it on a flat surface, like your resort room floor or bed.

I carry mine around the parks in a rolled configuration. I fold it twice lengthwise, then roll it from the top down, squeezint the air out as I go. This lets me roll it very tight so it takes very little room; I put a couple of velcro straps around it to keep it rolled, and carry it on my water bottle belt.

poncho1.jpg

If you're going to use the ones that you buy at the park, I have had great sucess with the following:

Shake the heck out of it to get the rain off...
Roll the poncho, similar to as described above..
I then shove it into a one quart zip top bag.. and VOILA!

No more wetness in your bag!:thumbsup2

After our first couple of trips to Disney, we were big fans of reusing the Disney ponchos we bought on our first trip. After reading several posts on here and talking with some friends, we decided to go for the dollar ponchos from Wal-Mart. We have 2 children and already have a lot to carry around or shove in our strollers (and take out every time we have to fold the strollers up!). It is SO much easier taking the cheap ones, using them for the day and then tossing them. Before we had one of the bags from a Disney store and we tried rolling up the Disney ponchos, but they were just too bulky and it added an extra bag for us to carry. I think there is a lot to be said for the cheap ones! We usually take 12 for the 4 of us. Reuse them if you have to...they fold up much smaller than the Disney ponchos! We hang them on the bed posts at night if we need to!

We too are a fan of the cheap disposable ones...much easier to use and trash as to try to get all the rain out and re roll them. We go to the Dollar store and buy several packs before our trip. Each one has 2 in a package. We keep them in their package until needed and then use and toss...Much easier. Even if we use 2 a day its only a dollar, and much less drama than re rolling our big ones. I also like that they are so much more lightweight than the reusables. Now there are days that we use the same disposable poncho more than once, especially if its a contantly rainy day. But overall its use and toss!

We still have Disney Ponchos from the 90s...I think they're a lot more durable than the cheap-o ones. We've always roled them up like PP's have said. Haven't had an issue yet (though maybe some questions on why we're wearing yellow Mickey ponchos :lmao:)

I make sure my disney ponchos are completely dry, then fold them up into a square, slide them into a ziploc bag, zip it partially, roll the bag up squeezing out the air before zipping it completely closed.

I use the disposable ones from WalMart too, or even better -- sometimes I've been able find them in a 2-pack at the dollar store! They are easier to carry plus you can see through them and be able to tell who's who in a sea of ponchos on a particularly rainy day. I was actually able to fold one up and shove it back into the little ziploc bag it came in - I have no idea how but it took a long time! Kept me occupied in line though. :rotfl:

Instead of throwing them away, try passing them on. We were about to toss our cheapy ponchos one day when we saw a family talking about riding Splash Mountain. The little girl was concerned about getting too wet. We offered to give them our ponchos and they were thrilled! We had already cut the bottom off ours to fit DD so she didn't trip over it so it was the perfect size for this little girl. Yes, it's a small gesture and a little thing, but the poor kid was on the verge of a meltdown and her face just lit up when she realized she could ride AND stay dry(ish). Her mom was really grateful too - as any of you who have narrowly avoided a public meltdown will understand. It was also a great lesson for my kids, they felt so good about about making another family happy that they wanted to give away all our ponchos -- even the unused ones! :laughing:

I buy quite a few from the dollar store and bring one for every person usually for everyday and since they are so cheap and most of the time a pain to deal with we just toss them after we are done with them. I just think especially if you have kids and you get caught in a rain shower and then extreme sun who wants to waste time rolling and making sure the poncho is dry- to avoid mildew? Just buy the cheap ones and dispose of them.

If you're going to use the ones that you buy at the park, I have had great sucess with the following:

Shake the heck out of it to get the rain off...
Roll the poncho, similar to as described above..
I then shove it into a one quart zip top bag.. and VOILA!

No more wetness in your bag!:thumbsup2
We also store 4 of them inside a gallon zip lock baggie. Rolling them works well.

Ditto. We hang ours up every night & roll up in the morning, put in a gallon zip lock.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter