Rehoming a dog

DISNEYSQUIRRELS

DIS Veteran
What amount do you feel is fair/reasonable to pay for a dog that needs to be rehomed?
We would be her new home. She is a purebred corgi.
The current owner has asked that my yard be completely fenced in. It is currently 3/4 fenced & finishing the small open area in the front would be relatively simple.
They have also asked that I enroll her in an obedience class to assert my dominance as she is strong willed. I have many years of experience with this breed.

What amount do you feel is fair/reasonable to pay for a dog that needs to be rehomed?
The current owner has asked that my yard be completely fenced in. It is currently 3/4 fenced & finishing the small open area in the front would be relatively simple.
They have also asked that I enroll her in an obedience class to assert my dominance as she is strong willed. I have many years of experience with this breed.

Seems awful nervy of them considering you’re helping them out, not the other way around.

I don’t have a $ for you, sorry.

In a moment of weakness last week, I almost rescued a dog. She is between 12-14 and is in a no kill shelter. They had eight (8!) pages of requirements and wanted $250. I said no way, not if she could have died a day after I signed the papers and they had no conditions for that.

I don't know where you live and details like how old she is, whether she's spayed and shots are up to date, whether there are any problems with her like food allergies that require special food or medical problems that require medication and vet visits, whether she's had behavior problems or bitten before, etc. I'd be happy you had experience with the breed and I'd want to check with your vet and references to be sure you are who you say you are (sorry), but maybe $500. There have been cases of dogs being given away or sold for peanuts and they have wound up in research labs or for bait dogs and such, so a good amount is necessary. You should probably also reinforce the bottom of your fence if there is any opening at all, they can sometimes get through. Best of luck, Corgis are so cool.

Are you buying the dog or rehoming because of an issue with the dog and previous owners. If rehoming, then nothing unless it is coming from an adoption place.

I don't know where you live and details like how old she is, whether she's spayed and shots are up to date, whether there are any problems with her like food allergies that require special food or medical problems that require medication and vet visits, whether she's had behavior problems or bitten before, etc. I'd be happy you had experience with the breed and I'd want to check with your vet and references to be sure you are who you say you are (sorry), but maybe $500. There have been cases of dogs being given away or sold for peanuts and they have wound up in research labs or for bait dogs and such, so a good amount is necessary. You should probably also reinforce the bottom of your fence if there is any opening at all, they can sometimes get through. Best of luck, Corgis are so cool.
Thank you.
She is 2, spayed, shots up to date & well cared for. Her current owners are older & having health issues. Her original breeder is helping to facilitate all of this.
I have answered a lengthy questionnaire. I totally understand her people & the breeder wanting to ensure she gets into a good home.
They are asking $1000 which I feel is high. I am used to seeing rehoming fees between $250-$500, maybe up to $600.
I don’t want to seem cheap or ungrateful, but $1000 feels high.
Is it lousy to bargain over a living creature?

http://corgiguide.com/how-much-corgis-cost/

"Pure bred Corgis from reputable professional breeders usually require quite a few hundreds of dollars. They are usually priced within a range of $600-1000 depending on the breeder’s location and the quality of the breed. Some have even been sold for as much as $2000."

I am assuming the dog is relatively young but we've been given few details. And I'm also assuming you've been looking for a new dog, disneysquirrels?

But another reason I'd want to know, if I were rehoming the dog, that you are who you say you are and that you plan to keep the dog, is because I could give it away to you, and you could then turn around and sell it to some unscrupulous person. Finishing the fence and enrolling in training tells me you're committed to keeping the dog.

Are you buying the dog or rehoming because of an issue with the dog and previous owners. If rehoming, then nothing unless it is coming from an adoption place.
I reached out to a breeder asking her to keep me in the loop if she came to know of a dog that needed to be rehomed.

Thank you.
She is 2, spayed, shots up to date & well cared for. Her current owners are older & having health issues. Her original breeder is helping to facilitate all of this.
I have answered a lengthy questionnaire. I totally understand her people & the breeder wanting to ensure she gets into a good home.
They are asking $1000 which I feel is high. I am used to seeing rehoming fees between $250-$500, maybe up to $600.
It does seem high, but it could be that it comes from a very good breeder, idk. You can always say no and see what happens. But yes, I agree, it does seem strange to be bargaining over a living creature. But you know you'll fall in love and she'll bring you many years of happiness. I would add up the cost of the fence and training and let them know what that's going to cost you, too. Honestly I'd be happy the dog was going to a good home and would be less worried about the money, but people can be funny, you know?

http://corgiguide.com/how-much-corgis-cost/

"Pure bred Corgis from reputable professional breeders usually require quite a few hundreds of dollars. They are usually priced within a range of $600-1000 depending on the breeder’s location and the quality of the breed. Some have even been sold for as much as $2000."

I am assuming the dog is relatively young but we've been given few details. And I'm also assuming you've been looking for a new dog, disneysquirrels?

But another reason I'd want to know, if I were rehoming the dog, that you are who you say you are and that you plan to keep the dog, is because I could give it away to you, and you could then turn around and sell it to some unscrupulous person. Finishing the fence and enrolling in training tells me you're committed to keeping the dog.
Yes, puppies normally do sell for these prices. Older dogs are normally less.
I get them needing to know about me & provided all the info asked for +.
I had a $ amount in mind & what they are asking is higher.
I feel creepy haggling over a living creature.

Seems awful nervy of them considering you’re helping them out, not the other way around.

I don’t have a $ for you, sorry.

In a moment of weakness last week, I almost rescued a dog. She is between 12-14 and is in a no kill shelter. They had eight (8!) pages of requirements and wanted $250. I said no way, not if she could have died a day after I signed the papers and they had no conditions for that.
Wow @kimblebee, that is crazy- given her dire circumstances & age, her adoption fee should be waived.
It is a fact that certain breeds & older or medically compromised dogs are very tough to adopt out. She would have been lucky to come home to you.
I remember as a kid, when our family wanted a dog we would go to the shelter, pay $25 & point to the one we wanted.
I totally understand that those old ways had to evolve, but the 8 page applications & personal dissertation seems like overkill too, imo.

So you were looking for a dog, basically, and they're selling you one. This owner probably paid a lot, too. What do you know about the breeder? Do you know what the original cost was?
Agree. I think "re-homing" is a weird way to describe what is clearly the sale of a dog. The only dog we ever owned came directly from the breeder and in addition to a fairly hefty purchase price, there were also many criteria we and our environment needed to meet. I'm not sure why the OP feels it's unreasonable. The current owners are very likely able to sell/place the dog elsewhere if she doesn't take it. We certainly could have done the same with ours (a registered Brussels Griffon) if we hadn't gifted it to DH's parents instead.

I would add up the cost of the fence and training and let them know what that's going to cost you, too.

I had a $ amount in mind & what they are asking is higher.
I feel creepy haggling over a living creature.

Just tell them that's more than you have to spend, considering you'd also be paying for the fence & training. Leave it at that. See if they come back with a new price. Don't see the dog till it's a price you can accept.

Agree. I think "re-homing" is a weird way to describe what is clearly the sale of a dog.

Probably because the current owners aren't the breeder.

OP, also make sure the breeder doesn't want the dog back. Many times they stipulate that someone can't rehome the dog without their permission. Sometimes they want to be the ones to rehome the dog, not allow someone else to do it.

Wow @kimblebee, that is crazy- given her dire circumstances & age, her adoption fee should be waived.
It is a fact that certain breeds & older or medically compromised dogs are very tough to adopt out. She would have been lucky to come home to you.
I remember as a kid, when our family wanted a dog we would go to the shelter, pay $25 & point to the one we wanted.
I totally understand that those old ways had to evolve, but the 8 page applications & personal dissertation seems like overkill too, imo.

I’ve never been drawn to a dog but when I saw her picture I was willing to drive an hour the next day to go get her. She is a 3 lb chihuahua and her name is Penny. I almost named my daughter Penny and since this dog was going to replace my daughter when she moved I thought it was fate.

You guys know me, I am not a dog person, I roll my eyes when someone says their dog is their child. Dogs are dogs and people are people but look at this faaaaaaaccccee.

9DD0B399-5B4B-4193-876E-4756C9ECE74D.png

Thank you.

$1000!!! This seems more like a sale than a rehoming.

I would never pay that much for a dog that is not a puppy, or one that is being re-homed because of behavior issues. I don't really like puppies, but with a puppy you are getting a clean slate, you can mold his behavior and create the dog that you want. Unless the dog is being rehomed because of the owner's illness or something like that, if you are buying a grown or almost-grown dog you are going to be taking on someone else's mess. No way I'm paying $1000 for that.

Who is getting the money? The breeder again?

A bit off topic but we have decided to try to find our first dog through rescues and I am a bit turned off by their contracts. Pretty much it seems they own the dog, do home visits after adoption, can come take it back if they deem necessary, and they also have requirements for training classes, fenced yards, not leaving the dog alone ever etc I'm guessing that's why people take their pets everywhere, lol. You have to tell them if you move, if the dog gets a splinter All of this fun for $400-500, plus spay/neuter and they are liable for nothing....don't guarantee health or temperament. You don't even get a trial period to determine if the dog is a good fit. I saw an application yesterday that wanted my dh's employer to call for a reference. ( he retired from the military after 25 years and works for the government now) Yeah, he said no way would that ever happen!

It's crazy town out here.

I think they are the ones putting money over the dog, more concerned with price than getting the dog a loving home. $1000 is the amount I would expect to pay for a puppy from a breeder, not a re-home.

I'm quite discouraged, and at this point it may be easier to just get another kid. Less restrictions! ;)

Who is getting the money? The breeder again?

A bit off topic but we have decided to try to find our first dog through rescues and I am a bit turned off by their contracts. Pretty much it seems they own the dog, do home visits after adoption, can come take it back if they deem necessary, and they also have requirements for training classes, fenced yards, not leaving the dog alone ever etc I'm guessing that's why people take their pets everywhere, lol. You have to tell them if you move, if the dog gets a splinter All of this fun for $400-500, plus spay/neuter and they are liable for nothing....don't guarantee health or temperament. You don't even get a trial period to determine if the dog is a good fit. I saw an application yesterday that wanted my dh's employer to call for a reference. ( he retired from the military after 25 years and works for the government now) Yeah, he said no way would that ever happen!

It's crazy town out here.

I think they are the ones putting money over the dog, more concerned with price than getting the dog a loving home. $1000 is the amount I would expect to pay for a puppy from a breeder, not a re-home.

I'm quite discouraged, and at this point it may be easier to just get another kid. Less restrictions! ;)
If they didn’t charge money, they wouldn’t exist! These are non for profit centers relying on volunteers who see what horrible things people do to animals. They don’t want these poor animals surrendered again, a trial period? They want these animals in forever homes. Do you think people should have trial periods when they adopt children? One of the reasons thousand of innocent animals get killed every day is because of people who don’t research, don’t train, aren’t prepared. I had no issue paying $450 for my rescue dog, heckmi pay that every year for vet bills. For the first three months of her life, someone paid for her lodging, food and healthcare.

If it's really a "re-homing" because the current owners are no longer able to take care of the dog, they should be paying YOU to take it, or at least should be offering it for free since they're setting conditions.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter