refunds to a card no longer active?

Anna_Marie

Mouseketeer
Dh and I have decided to live credit card free. I closed my Disney card, which is the card my Disney reservations were made on. It is the 200.00 deposit plus I had made a payment with a disney card for about 78.00.

Since we are now only paying cash for vacations instead of charging them, his job has slowed down and I am not sure we can go on our trip in 2 months. How will Disney handle that refund if I have to cancel? I am not going to cancel yet, hopefully things will turn around quickly so I can save what I need, but just in case.

Since there is no annual fee, I would have left the card open and just put it away. I have one card that I only keep because they have the lowest fees in foreign countries.

If you're afraid you'll be tempted to use it, give it to a trusted relative to hold or lock it in a safe deposit box.

It's much easier to do a lot of things, like rent cars, if you have a credit card. You might also have a medical emergency or something and really need it.

Sheila

They will refund to the Disney account for the $200. Chase should be able to send you a check. The 78 rewards points are likely just gone. Once you close an account, the points are not active, so I don't think they could just give you another rewards card with the 78 points since there is no credit card.

Call chase and ask them though. It probably depends on who you speak with at any given time as to the answer, but just makes notes so if you have trouble getting the $200 refunded you will have a paper trail.

They will refund to the Disney account for the $200. Chase should be able to send you a check. The 78 rewards points are likely just gone. Once you close an account, the points are not active, so I don't think they could just give you another rewards card with the 78 points since there is no credit card.

And if that's the case, I wonder if it would be better to change the date of the trip instead of canceling it, so you'll have more time to save and can still use those dollars.

When you close a card or get a new number etc. it is up to the business to decide how to handle the refund. most will only refund in the tender used for the transaction so they would refund the card it was put on. then its up to chase to sort it out with you, most likely they will send you a check for the refund.

It will take awhile to get your refund.

Like someone else said- I would just move the trip dates further in the future. As long as the price of your package goes up (even by a dollar), Disney will waive the $50 change fee.

I will not close my Disney account because I don't want to lose my points! I have read that once you close it, they are gone.

You might be able to call and reactivate it and get your points back, but that is a shame that you let the points lapse as you could have at least used them at the Disney store.

Dawn

I have worked at both a credit card company and a bank. Yes, you can refund a closed account. The credit card company will then send you a refund check - depending on the company, it may take a month or so for them to automatically send it. HOWEVER if you CALL them once you know the balance is a credit balance (meaning THEY owe YOU) you can request a "credit balance refund" and they typically send it within 7-10 business days (abt 2 weeks).

Caution: SOME banks (not sure if Chase is one!) will automatically RE-OPEN an account if there are ANY transactions coming through so keep an eye out if you want this one to stay closed.

Good luck! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter