Reflections: A Disney Lakeside Lodge

^ I don’t think that looks bad!
Not at all, and the final product was not that far off. The roofline changed a bit (I'm sure due to budget) and the entrance wall is obviously improved, but I would be able to identify my home resort by this image.

Let's compare that concept drawing to Reflections':
1666973180978.png

Aside from the plantings, what about this piece speaks to nature? Nothing. It's mechanical.

Aside from the plantings, what about this piece speaks to nature? Nothing. It's mechanical.
There's nothing about the one piece of Kidani art which speaks to animals. It's a porte cochere which is clearly smaller than Jambo with little detail evident. Nothing about the pool, savannah, restaurant, lobby, landscaping, room interiors, etc.

I'm not seeking to criticize Kidani. My point is simply that there is a lot about a resort that doesn't show up in 1 or 2 sketches. It was true of Kidani (and Aulani, and Riviera, etc.) and it would also have been true of Reflections.

There's nothing about the one piece of Kidani art which speaks to animals. It's a porte cochere which is clearly smaller than Jambo with little detail evident. Nothing about the pool, savannah, restaurant, lobby, landscaping, room interiors, etc.

I'm not seeking to criticize Kidani. My point is simply that there is a lot about a resort that doesn't show up in 1 or 2 sketches. It was true of Kidani (and Aulani, and Riviera, etc.) and it would also have been true of Reflections.
Designing a building to speak to animals is silly, however, natural elements and shapes even from that little preview sketch are reflected throughout the Kidani design.

Don't get me wrong, I did like the design for Reflections, but popping that adjacent to Fort Wilderness would have been a huge mistake and would have commercialized the area, bringing it down 5 notches IMHO. I may be biased as I grew up camping in Ft. Wilderness.

There's a design mentality that says if you're looking to compliment and mimic nature, avoid sharp angles and if you need them, soften them with rounded edges or materials.

Last edited:
Nature isn;t the easiest theme to do, unless you want a copy of Wildness Lodge or Kidani, They would have to maybe theme it to birds in flight, or water, but neither of those would be easy. Let us assume that a Native American thing would be off the table, as it would be seen as inapproriate by modern standards.

Well, this is the second source. Jim Hill and Len Testa discussed this months ago.

If this happens, I fully believe this is now a strategic resort strategy to mitigate future travel risks and share costs. They no longer care about selling out resorts.

They'll own significant developer points in a new resort for as long as it takes and just rent them out for cash. This was announced as a mixed resort. It'll be interesting to see if they stick to that or pull a RIV.

You know who loves a good DVC rumor, @pkrieger2287 🤣

im-back.jpg

Last edited:
They were always going to come back to this spot at some point, they had already done a ton of the groundwork for it.

Cant be bothered to do much if anything to the WDW parks but they will throw up another hotel in a heartbeat with DVC.

Edit - read the rest of the DVC section, interesting take on the blue sky probably never gonna happen announcements as a way to try and sell more dvc...

I don't see it happening for quite a while. They've got GFV to sell now, Poly Tower next year, and the FW project. Why would they add an additional huge MK resort to sell, when they might have two or three still for sale? In their present fiscal situation, I think it more likely that they'll do some more conversions somewhere.

With that many DVC resorts in the area, I wonder if they'll revisit transportation options. The trail almost certainly would come back, and maybe the boat back to Contemporary? Wonder if they'd consider any other changes like a second Skyliner over there?

Also I do wonder if this is providing insight into the plan after 2042.
Same. I’m very, very curious about how they’ll handle the partial OKW deeds and the Epcot area resorts expiring then. Maybe those will be all the developer-held points with a new association. People will be foaming at the mouth to rent Boardwalk and Beach Club points and Disney will rake in the cash, by holding onto all of that. Then maybe the big push will be to sell Reflections.

I don't see it happening for quite a while. They've got GFV to sell now, Poly Tower next year, and the FW project. Why would they add an additional huge MK resort to sell, when they might have two or three still for sale? In their present fiscal situation, I think it more likely that they'll do some more conversions somewhere.
GFV is getting very close to sold out. Likely only has another 6 months as best. I have a feeling Poly will also sell very quickly. If they break ground on Reflections next year, it would still be at least 2 years before points go for sale. At that point, Riviera will likely be nearly sold out as well. This seems like an appropriate timeline.

I'm keen for them to bring back this project IF they change the plans up to blend better with nature and add in a significant River Country nod, meaning the pool area somehow needs to outdo the Beach Club.

Same. I’m very, very curious about how they’ll handle the partial OKW deeds and the Epcot area resorts expiring then. Maybe those will be all the developer-held points with a new association. People will be foaming at the mouth to rent Boardwalk and Beach Club points and Disney will rake in the cash, by holding onto all of that. Then maybe the big push will be to sell Reflections.
Guessing here, but I have suspicions that Disney will simply revamp the retiring DVC resort rooms (and features where not attached to a hotel), and create a new calendar with point costs more in line with the points we see in Riviera, minimum purchase of around 250.

I'm keen for them to bring back this project IF they change the plans up to blend better with nature and add in a significant River Country nod, meaning the pool area somehow needs to outdo the Beach Club.

Guessing here, but I have suspicions that Disney will simply revamp the retiring DVC resort rooms (and features where not attached to a hotel), and create a new calendar with point costs more in line with the points we see in Riviera, minimum purchase of around 250.
I imagine it's all in the eye of the beholder, but there were many of us who felt that the original plans did blend very well with nature and were reminiscent of the A-frame timber, North-Eastern lakeside cabins we vacationed at as children. The extensive us of nature-inspired IP in the concept art was amazing. Bambi, Fox and the Hound, Brother Bear, Pocahontas. The design had a huge lazy river, multiple pools, docks, a restaurant right on the lake. I'm hoping they stick with a similar plan and don't change it too much.

1694528832065.png
1694527871799.png 1694527904362.png 1694527994898.png 1694528059068.png 1694528192468.png1694528276772.png 1694528349768.png1694528473234.png1694528582836.png

Not at all, and the final product was not that far off. The roofline changed a bit (I'm sure due to budget) and the entrance wall is obviously improved, but I would be able to identify my home resort by this image.

Let's compare that concept drawing to Reflections':
View attachment 714434

For me, the parts of the building exterior that speak to nature are the extensive use of timber and stone in the building materials, and the massive windows in the common areas to let in natural light and enjoy the lakeside view. This is likely a better version of the exterior concept art, as it shows the wood and stone details more clearly:

1694529531739.png

They'll own significant developer points in a new resort for as long as it takes and just rent them out for cash. This was announced as a mixed resort. It'll be interesting to see if they stick to that or pull a RIV.] 🤣
I've said this over and over to everyone who loves to lambaste the sales progress at Aulani.

I honestly think Disney has settled on two different plans of action. One entails adding on DVC rooms at existing cash resorts and selling them out in a timely fashion. The second entails building new DVC resorts (a la Aulani), and enjoying the ability to sell cash rooms for as long as they desire, while slowly selling points. Obviously, plan 2 runs into trouble if you're still trying to sell points with "only" 45 or fewer years left on the contract, so they still need to sell out, but they don't have the urgency as they are renting the rooms and between the DVC stays and cash stays, they can maintain close to full occupancy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter