Reflections: A Disney Lakeside Lodge

They have resorts they already don't plan on reopening until 2021 and I'm sure that will be reevaluated periodically. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they backtracked to conversions vs new builds for the next DVC - whenever it happens.

Possible return of backyard bbq?
I'm sure Disney still has hopes to pack people in for the 50th, whether or not they can convince crowds to show up so soon after all this is another thing to be seen.

...nothing to discuss probably... But I did see a flat bed truck delivering rolled grass . Does that constitute “Construction for permit filing “ and bloggers continue to speculate!!! Wasting time?

...nothing to discuss probably... But I did see a flat bed truck delivering rolled grass . Does that constitute “Construction for permit filing “ and bloggers continue to speculate!!! Wasting time?
They would need a permit for that at scale.

Bloggers need news and are known to create their own. The wait and see approach usually works best with Disney.

Personally, I'm happy this most likely has been halted giving management a chance to undo a number of mistakes before they make them. While there are many cute design elements the top issue I have is too much IP thrown in our faces. Second is that the design shows no nods to River Country, the world's very first themed water park.

Reflections was not reflecting anything more than Disney's desire to make a buck.

Last edited:

Agreed to what? None of that happened.

This thread is years old. The project was re-sodded, they took away all the equipment and such, and they don't have the permits anymore. It's over. At least for now.

The new post on here got me excited so now I'm disappointed. It's over and not happening.

Agreed to what? None of that happened.

This thread is years old. The project was re-sodded, they took away all the equipment and such, and they don't have the permits anymore. It's over. At least for now.
Yes, it looks like it isn't happening. But who knows what the future will bring after the Poly DVC Tower? Never say never when it comes to DVC...but I would say it is unlikely at best.

IMHO, it was a poorly contrived concept and Disney dodged a bullet with this project being cancelled. Like a child who tried to put one over on their parents, they've retired to their room to think about what they've done.

I hope the next iteration, whenever that happens (and it will), comes with design and quality worthy of being nestled between Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness. The focus should be on the location and environment, even if it is artificially created, not a FLW inspired structure, existing just becuase someone was a fan of that style.

Last edited:
Few projects of that scale ever look good from a couple pieces of concept art. I have no opinion on whether Reflections would have been good or bad when complete.

I suspect they were trying to compliment both Wilderness Lodge and Ft Wilderness without replicating either one. They didn't want it to appear totally out of place between those two existing developments, yet were trying to make something that would uniquely appeal to DVC buyers--and hotel guests--who aren't already drawn to either Boulder Ridge or Copper Creek.

The people who approved the project certainly had access to more concept art, room mock-ups, 3D models and other resources which will never see the light of day. No project will ever have universal appeal but Reflections apparently gained enough traction to gain approval at multiple levels. The large hotel room component seems to have doomed Reflections. With the land having been cleared, it seems prime for future development. But most likely an entirely different project.

One thing we can probably all agree upon: The name sucked. (I wonder how much the name alone tainted people's perceptions of the project. I mean, if they had called it "Disney's Lakeside Lodge" doesn't it already sound a little more appealing??? 😉)

Few projects of that scale ever look good from a couple pieces of concept art. I have no opinion on whether Reflections would have been good or bad when complete.

I suspect they were trying to compliment both Wilderness Lodge and Ft Wilderness without replicating either one. They didn't want it to appear totally out of place between those two existing developments, yet were trying to make something that would uniquely appeal to DVC buyers--and hotel guests--who aren't already drawn to either Boulder Ridge or Copper Creek.

The people who approved the project certainly had access to more concept art, room mock-ups, 3D models and other resources which will never see the light of day. No project will ever have universal appeal but Reflections apparently gained enough traction to gain approval at multiple levels. The large hotel room component seems to have doomed Reflections. With the land having been cleared, it seems prime for future development. But most likely an entirely different project.

One thing we can probably all agree upon: The name sucked. (I wonder how much the name alone tainted people's perceptions of the project. I mean, if they had called it "Disney's Lakeside Lodge" doesn't it already sound a little more appealing??? 😉)
Actually, the name was the least of my complaints about the behemoth that was the planned Reflections. I’d guess that at some future date they’ll build on the Reflections site - after all when they first started the Poly to DVC project it was rumored to include tall new build ‘towers’ & they’re just now getting around to adding a tall new building a decade later. https://dvcnews.com/resorts/polynesian/news/2274-new-details-added-to-polynesian-dvc-rumors
Based on that timeline I expect to see Reflections resurrected in 2029 😂.

Look at the designs for AKL (both Kidani and Jambo) They are amazing, "paper" can convey the beauty of a resort. WL was also designed by the same architect. Granted we will probably never see another architect so dedicated to getting all the details right, but they should at least try and not make it look like the project was passed onto the lowest bidder.

Last edited:

For another perspective, I don’t mind the name at all.

However, I rather Disney focus their attention on new attractions. I think there are already enough hotels, and I am happy with what is currently offered. I don’t think they need to fill all usable space with hotels.

Look at the designs for AKL (both Kidani and Jambo) They are amazing, "paper" can convey the beauty of a resort. WL was also designed by the same architect. Granted we will probably never see another architect so dedicated to getting all the details right, but they should at least try and not make it look like the project was passed onto the lowest bidder.
Below is one of the first pieces of concept art for Kidani. Having only Jambo as a frame of reference, many people were very critical of this image. And it doesn't come close to conveying the full scope of Kidnai. The same would have been true of Reflections.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter