Reef Safe Sunscreen for cruise

OpieDoodle

DIS Veteran
We aren't cruising until Feb 2022 and honestly last cruise I didn't know that not all sunscreens were not reef safe (mine even said on the bottle reef safe but then when I read the ingredients I was shocked to find out that wasn't true).

I'm starting to research sunscreens now, hopefully to try it out before we get on the boat. I have a VERY easily burned fair skinned toddler and I've read some horror stories of the reef safe sunscreens not working as well. Has anyone experienced this? We are looking at Blue Lizard currently and the rest of us will honestly be fine but I worry about my tiny terror with his very light skin.

Picture for tax :) He actually looks tan in this picture from our last cruise with his brothers :P
kidsformal.jpg

We have been using California Baby and Badger Balms for years. They seem to work fine; I burn at the drop of a hat. They were listed in the previous link. I haven’t tried the new Badger Balm we just bought, but the zinc oxide in them doesn’t rub in to disappear completely. There’s always a bit of white, and they can leave white spots on dark clothes and leather. It usually comes out with some elbow grease and leather cleaner/stain fighter though.

I bought Ocean Potion when I was Hawai’i and didn’t have any issues (my Mum who burns very easily has also used it).

I burn at the drop of a hat. Here are two I’ve used that did well and supposedly are reef safe: Neutrogena Pure and Free Baby spf50 (zinc oxide is main ingredient); Alba Hawaiian sunscreen spf50 spray that goes on clear.

Thanks for all the advice so far! I plan to research all of these. One of my friends that cruises a lot has one I can try on my munchkin. I just really don't want a miserable sun burned toddler on a cruise. It just sounds like it would NOT be fun and relaxing lol

We started using Blue Lizard Sensitive when my kids were little (almost13 years ago) as they have a good EWG Rating. It is thicker than some sunscreens so takes a little more effort applying, but we have never gotten sunburns while wearing it, including all day trips to Disney, snorkeling in Caymans, full beach days, etc. Every time I think to try something cheaper or more convenient that can be bought anywhere, I always go back to it because of the quality. I have found some good deals buying from drugstores online when they have storewide or category discounts.

I'd put him in a long-sleeve rash guard with a good SPF/UPF factor, too.

This!!! It makes things so much easier, then you only have to worry about his neck, face, and legs. If you are just going to be hanging out in the sun, a good wide-brimmed sun hat that ties on is great. Our whole family wears one to the parks.

I should have mentioned this also. I have started wearing one and it really helped me not get burned. Less places to have to put sunscreen too.

Great call out

I went to a beach in Mexico that was asking guests to wear safe reef sunscreen only... So I left my sunscreen on the ship... Only to find out that the beach was selling the same brand of sunscreen I used... Which was Hawaiian Tropic!

He wears a short sleeve one normally anyways. I'd worry a little with the long sleeves being hot but I am going to look into bringing one along and seeing how he does. Normally he wears a little longer than normal shorts, rash guard t-shirt, and often a hat when I can get him to (usually I go for the bucket type hats).

He wears a short sleeve one normally anyways. I'd worry a little with the long sleeves being hot but I am going to look into bringing one along and seeing how he does. Normally he wears a little longer than normal shorts, rash guard t-shirt, and often a hat when I can get him to (usually I go for the bucket type hats).
My husband (who has had two squamous cell skin cancers removed) wears long sleeve shirts in the same category when he fishes, as do most of the men. (The women, by and large, don't cover up as much.) He also wears a buff to protect his neck and sometimes fishing gloves to keep his hands covered. In the performance fabrics, being hot really isn't an issue. And in the water, it's not a problem.

Yikes I had never heard of this term. I will check next time I'm in the area with a reef

My husband (who has had two squamous cell skin cancers removed) wears long sleeve shirts in the same category when he fishes, as do most of the men. (The women, by and large, don't cover up as much.) He also wears a buff to protect his neck and sometimes fishing gloves to keep his hands covered. In the performance fabrics, being hot really isn't an issue. And in the water, it's not a problem.

I'll try some out and see what he thinks. Our cruise is Feb so we have plenty of time. Last time we were there at the same time it was pretty hot but I know that's hit or miss with cruises.

We wear rash guards, but use Australian Gold Botanical sunscreen for exposed areas. It is reef friendly and blended in fairly well. (They also have tinted versions but the palest color was still a little too tan for my palest daughter. The rest of our family loved the tinted sunscreen for our faces and used the regular white sunscreen for our bodies.)

https://www.australiangold.com/shop/product-line/botanical/botanical-spf-70-sunscreen-lotion

I'll check out those! The ingredient list looks great from the quick check I just did. Thankfully we have a while before our cruise so we can try these out.

When we did our snorkel/dive vacation to the reefs of Belize, we did a TON of research. Sun Bum worked really well for me and our Irish-skinned family. Lotsa pale & freckles and we made it out of a week on the reefs just fine
I second Sun Bum! It works really well and rubs in easily.

When you get the rash guard wet, it actually cools you down when you are out of the water. I suspect he wouldn’t even notice the long sleeve ones were any different than the t shirt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter