recipe for waffle or pancake mix from scratch?

Grumpy's Gal

DIS Veteran
hello, does anyone have a recipe for waffle mix or pancake mix from scratch? There has got to be a cheaper way than spending $3 on a box of pancake mix. Thanks!

Have you tried any of the large 99-cent no-name mixes? Pancake mix is pancake mix - not much they can do to mess it up.. LOL :)

Here;s the one we always use (pancakes):

Ingredients
2 cups sifted flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups milk
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 tablespoons of oil (or melted shortening)

Directions
1. Sift flour with sugar, baking powder, and salt. Combine mil with beaten eggs; then add dry ingredients to the liquid ingredients

2. Blend thoroughly, but only until lumps disappear. Stir in oil.

3. Pour batter onto pan and bake until bubbles break and edges are cooked. Flip and bake other side, approx. 1 minute each side.

Makes 16 4-inch pancakes (it feeds our family of 5! :banana: )

Hope this helps, we NEVER use the prepared stuff (just doesn't taste as good :rolleyes: )

I've made pancakes once a week for 20+ years using this recipe from a 30-year-old Betty Crocker cookbook (which I did not have to look up!):

1 cup flour
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
tablespoon baking powder
tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
dash of salt

I double or triple this depending on how many people are eating and whether it's breakfast, brunch or supper.

I wisk the egg, then add the milk and oil. Then I throw in the rest of the stuff. I know you're supposed to mix it up, sift, etc., but I never do! Oil the skillet (Silverstone-type is best) and reoil it during cooking if the pancakes start sticking.

I get the skillet temp right by making tiny test cakes -- kids love them.

I have a waffle recipe -- has baking soda and lots of margarine, but I don't know it by heart like the pancake one.

Grumpy's Gal said:
hello, does anyone have a recipe for waffle mix or pancake mix from scratch? There has got to be a cheaper way than spending $3 on a box of pancake mix. Thanks!

OK, I got this from Héloise (sp?) many years ago and it makes the BEST, lightest pancakes and waffles.

2 cups Bisquick
1 egg
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/3 Club Soda!

It's the Club Soda that makes all the difference in the world!

Once you try these, any box mix will taste too heavy!

"Try it, you'll like it"

DH makes the waffles/pancakes from scratch. I don't cook! Lol!

But I do know that he uses seltzer water or club soda to make the belgain waffles extra fluffy. He also makes the batter with whole wheat flour to make it healthier for us.

Towards the end of the batch, he tosses some chocolate chips or butterscotch chips (yum) into the batter. When cool we put it into ziplock bags and freeze them (the seltzer does deflate the waffle alittle but tastes just as great). In the mornings during the week, just heat them up in the toaster oven and eat while headed out the door. Favorful enough to eat without syrup. Better and cheaper than Eggos.

I don't know if you have a ShopRite in your area, but their brand complete pancake mix (just add water) is the best I have ever had. It is 99 cents regularly and often on sale. I did the homemade for a while but the Shoprite is much cheaper since the water is free. Tastes even better than Williams Sonoma (got as a gift one time).

For extra special brunches, I use Ina Garten's sour cream, banana pancake recipe. It is excellent and not in the least bit as heavy as it sounds.

Good luck!!

My family loves the recipe on the Saco Buttermilk Powder package and they're really easy to make.

We've always used the Bisquik as well (faster). I think to save money just stick with the Betty Crocker recipe.

I tried the recipe from tar_heel above and it was awesome. My family liked them a lot! It was easy to do too! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter