Reasonable lodging with space to spread out?

DJmommy

DIS Veteran
My dh, ds (6) and dd(18 mo.) and I are thinking of staying at the FW cabins because there is the separate bedroom, especially for my dd naps and tucking the kids in at night and still feeling like we can watch TV or read after their bedtime. Heck it is our vacation too! LOL! We would probably get some good use of the kitchen facilities as well. We will have our car with us so we don't have to completely rely on the bus system. How is it to take the boat to MK?

I thought I would be able to make up my mind after reading all these posts but now I feel more undecided. I am now also considering the WL and even the CR solely for the proximity to the MK however it has never appealed to my taste. Would we feel too cramped in just a regular room at those hotels?
Also we plan on going right before or after Thanksgiving this year if that has any bearing on your resort recommendations.

I don't know anything about this concierge that I keep reading about. It is probably not an option for us on this trip but what does it entail?

I am open to any suggestions since you people all seem to know sooo much about Disney and have stayed there many times trying out all the resorts.

Thank you in advance,

Jax

We love the cabins. We tuck three little ones in for naps or nighttime. Then we have the whole living area to unwind, plan, watch TV, etc. You can't beat having a full kitchen. It's a drag to eat out for every single meal. Great even if you are just using the refrigerator and toaster...there's also a grill. And you get to park your car right outside the door.

We like using the bus & boat transports to MK.

You will find even more FW info over at the camping board.

I think you would be cramped in a WL room. WL has tiny rooms for a deluxe. A jr. suite may be a better option at WL. The CR resort has huge rooms along with a great location. Each room has either a king bed and a daybed or 2 queens a daybed. CR rooms have the most sq. footage at WDW. We did stay in the cabins once and found it to be to remote. We prefer easy access to the parks. You may want to rent a golf cart if you stay at the cabins. Kids love em! Happy planning!

Friends of ours LOVE the cabins. They have a larger family and really appreciate the extra room. They did not have a car but managed the transportation just fine. Just be sure to leave enough time to get where you want to be. They opted for using the kitchen for breakfast in the cabin each morning before an early start.

That said, my family stays at WL. Even with two boys we manage just fine. They are however beyond napping age. I get the whole idea of putting the kids to bed and wanting extra time together. We did have a fridge and had breakfast in the room.

Wherever you pick will be just fine. Keep reading and ultimately you will decide what's best for your family!

--pennyplanner

I've stayed in the cabins and at AKL. Honestly, you'll love the space and privacy of the cabins. For just the reasons you said, I'd pick the cabin. :sunny:

It is really up to personal taste (as always) but I think with kids that young you can't go wrong at a monorail resort like the CR or the Poly. I haven't stayed at either do to budget reasons but I"m hoping to stay there on our upcoming trip if some good codes come out. From the CR it is an easy walk to the MK - can you imagine? Very easy to get back to the room for naps or breaks or if you forget something or whatever. You could just pop over to the MK like it was your neighbor's house rather than planning to pack up for the day and go to the park. I would think the Poly would offer similar access with the monorail. You also have the zero entry pool for the little one and the volcano slide for your older one. Both of those hotels have the biggest regular hotel rooms on the property.

Good luck with your choice!

I think the cabins would be good for your family. A balcony works pretty well also for mom & dad to relax a little, but the cabin has a lot more space!

The boat to MK isn't bad, but you'll have to take a FW bus to the boat first. Still, it's a fun trip! Ask for a cabin near the bus stop (and pool, if that's important).

The one problem we had with driving with our then 2 1/2 year old was that he would fall asleep in the car and we had to be very careful moving him to a bed. Once he woke up he didn't want to go back to sleep! At home he would always go back to sleep if we moved him. He actually did better sleeping in the stroller at WDW. We would walk, rest in the shade, or shop while he napped.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter