Real ID: Married Women Beware!

That is nice for you. In PA it is about double regular license renewal:( I chose not to give them anymore money and will just use passport.

Oh that stinks, I guess it is up to the individual states to decide to charge more. I'm in NY and I'm shocked we aren't charged, we are for everything else LOL.
I got the enhanced (which is Real ID compliant) so I don't need a passport for travel to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean and that was only $30 extra on top of my renewal.

When I got married and got back from my honeymoon I went to the DMV and changed my name to my married name, then went to the SS office. I had a passport with my maiden name and we ended up not getting a new passport at that time. Anyways to change my name I had a certified copy of my marriage certificate. To get my new passport with my married name since I already had a passport I just had to submit my old passport and a certified copy of my marriage certificate.

I'm thinking this is an example used in the OP of someone who never got their information updated legally...that's not on the DMV.

I don't think many of us like having to submit documentation for xyz but it's a fact of our lives.

For me whenever I get my REAL ID I'll bring for convenience my SS card, my passport and and really any of the proof of residency docs will be easy to locate (renewal card, vehicle registration card, mortgage paperwork or bank statement, or utility bill).

Just as hard to get a passport when you changed your name upon marriage as a real ID. Agree that this is a NON-issue. But, since I did not change my name when I married, it makes it easy.

In Minnesota to get a REGULAR driver's license, you need your birth certificate, and documentation of every change in name since birth...marriage, divorce, remarriage, etc.

Oh that stinks, I guess it is up to the individual states to decide to charge more. I'm in NY and I'm shocked we aren't charged, we are for everything else LOL.
I got the enhanced (which is Real ID compliant) so I don't need a passport for travel to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean and that was only $30 extra on top of my renewal.
About half my state will be able to get the REAL ID through their DL renewal. I however will not be one of those. My DL doesn't expire until 2022. More than likely I'll get the REAL ID so I don't have to worry about bringing my passport everywhere but it's not free for us when it's out of your renewal cycle. For us it's just an $8.00 photo fee when it's out of your renewal cycle...but that does mean I get to pay for it all over again at the full DL license price in 2022.

I just got mine in California and it was the same cost as a regular DL. I only needed the "Real ID" because I travel once per year (via plane) for a work training and don't have a passport.

About half my state will be able to get the REAL ID through their DL renewal. I however will not be one of those. My DL doesn't expire until 2022. More than likely I'll get the REAL ID so I don't have to worry about bringing my passport everywhere but it's not free for us when it's out of your renewal cycle. For us it's just an $8.00 photo fee when it's out of your renewal cycle...but that does mean I get to pay for it all over again at the full DL license price in 2022.

I think it is the same here, but we would be paying the fee to get a new license, not a 'Real ID' fee.
It isn't mandatory so it's like wanting a new picture, or the latest version of the State's license, you pay any associated fee for that. I'm not sure what it is here.
It sounds like some states are making people pay the regular fee plus an added Real ID fee.

I just renewed my license a couple of days ago, got the Enhanced and had no problem. I brought in all the necessary paperwork including my birth certificate and my marriage certificate.
All the info for NY residents is online. You go through a checklist of appropriate and needed ID documentation so you know exactly what to bring to DMV.
I don't really see the problem.

Same for Massachusetts - form and website tells you EVERYTHING you need to bring, including a marriage certificate or other proof of name change if you ever changed your name. It was literally a check list of what you needed to bring. If you bring it all then you should be all set.

This post made me curious. I just went to the South Carolina DMV website and was able to order my REAL ID online. $25 and about two minutes to get it done. I have a passport, but I don't usually take it with me when I fly domestically. Glad I clicked this thread and checked a task off my to-do list.

That is nice for you. In PA it is about double regular license renewal:( I chose not to give them anymore money and will just use passport.

Passports cost money too don't they? I distinctly recall having to pay for one back when I got one...

This post made me curious. I just went to the South Carolina DMV website and was able to order my REAL ID online. $25 and about two minutes to get it done. I have a passport, but I don't usually take it with me when I fly domestically. Glad I clicked this thread and checked a task off my to-do list.
How were you able to do it online? Did you upload the necessary documents?

Passports cost money too don't they? I distinctly recall having to pay for one back when I got one...
They do and a decent chunk. That said passports are for 10 years. For example I just got my updated passport with my married name last year. That passport doesn't expire until 2028. It's why initially I was on the fence about getting a REAL ID outside of my renewal. I wouldn't have to pay anything until 2022 when my DL renews if I opted to just use my passport after Oct 2020.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter