Reading challenge 2021

Moved quickly through the next three. Two more in my exploration of race, privilege and history, and one for my love of Disney Parks.

11. The Second Founding: How the Civil War and Reconstruction Remade the Constitution by Eric Foner

Eric Foner is a professor a Columbia University whose work is specifically focused on Reconstruction. I remember in high school history (which, admittedly, I took in Mt. Pleasant, SC) that Reconstruction was taught as a period when bad Northerners (i.e. carpetbaggers and scalawags) came south to take advantage of the war-ravaged and recovering (white) southerners. Needless to say, it was a biased high school education! In my work to relearn American history, and specifically this period, I am reading some pieces on Reconstruction. This is the first. Foner discusses the history behind the adoption of the 13th, 14th and 15th amendments by reviewing the process of their adoption, the historical arguments for and against each, the legal impacts of them, and their historic legacy. Foner makes a compelling case that these three amendments to the Constitution remade America. This is a well-written and compelling corrective (in part) to the "history" I was taught.

12. Nothing But Freedom: Emancipation and Its Legacy by Eric Foner

One of Foner's earlier works, this is a more dry and academic text, but still worth reading. Broken into three essays, the first looks at the history of other Western Hemisphere Emancipations other than the one in the US (eg. Jamaica, Haiti, etc.), the second chapter tells the story of US Emancipation and Reconstruction focused on the politics and power dynamics post Civil War, and the third chapter tells of a particular riot of former slaves on rice plantations in Low Country South Carolina to show the impacts of these changes at a local level. I did learn a lot from these chapters and I look forward to reading more from Foner in the future.

13. Boundless Realm: Deep Explorations Inside Disney's Haunted Mansion by Foxx Nolte

There is something wonderfully appropriate about this being book 13 for this year! What a fun exploration of the themes and details in the Haunted Mansion attraction. A complete review of the attraction itself (with plenty of details I never noticed), this is also a history of the attraction and a deep study of its antecedents and legacy. Well-researched and well-documented (the footnotes are fun to read just by themselves), this is a must-have for any serious Haunted Mansion enthusiast. Highly recommended!

More great books to add to the list. For the Disney-fans among us (isn't that all of us?), especially pay attention to the last two.

14. A Shot in the Moonlight: How a Freed Slave and a Confederate Soldier Fought for Justice in the Jim Crow South by Ben Montgomery

An unusual true story that took place in Kentucky during the post-war period. George Dinning was a former slave who, during self-defense of his home from an armed mob, shot and killed a white man who was the son of a wealthy landowner in the area. You may think you know where this story goes, but you will be surprised. The book reads like a novel, but every word is true!

15. The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness -- 10th Anniversary Edition by Michelle Alexander, with a new preface by the author.

This book makes a convincing argument that our current system of mass incarceration of African-American men is itself a new form of segregation. There is a review of the legacy of the War on Drugs, police department actions, and legal precedents that have moved us far down the path as a country towards segregated spaces. Worth a read, and very interesting!

16. and 17. Marc Davis in His Own Words: Imagineering the Disney Theme Parks Volumes I and II by Pete Docter and Christopher Merritt

This is a massive two volume series is a loving tribute and testimonial to the amazing legacy of Imagineer Marc Davis. Davis was one of Disney's Nine Old Men, his best animators who first worked with him in the Disney company, and was responsible for so much of what so many of us think of as classic Disney attractions and their classic look. This collection explores a number of these attractions -- including Pirates, the Tiki Room, the Jungle Cruise, the Haunted Mansion -- and some attractions and ideas that never were realized through a myriad of photographs, interviews and Marc's own words. This is a MUST READ for any true Disney Parks enthusiast. I checked mine out from the library. Now I need to save my pennies to buy my own copy. The books are coffee-table size and beautiful keepsakes that (once I buy them) I am sure I will return to again and again.

Last edited:
45/100 The Last Days of John Lennon by James Patterson

This book was recommended to me because I’m a big Beatles fan. If I had realized who the James Patterson was, I would never have picked it up. The book was terrible. It wasn’t about the last days of John Lennon, really. It rehashed some old Beatles stuff, none of which was new or insightful. The focus on Mark Chapman had nothing new or insightful there either. There were quite a few “conversations” that were obviously just made up. This book was a waste of time, so I’m glad it was a quick read. I’m giving it a half a point for having some nice pictures. .5/5

13/50-"Where the Crawdads Sing"by Delia Owens. What a fantastic read! The Marsh Girl has grown up on her own, spending only one day in school. Misunderstood, she was ridiculed and looked down upon by everyone in town except for a few kind souls. A young man dies and she is accused of murdering him. A really like how the story was told in two time periods--one where the crime happened and one with the marsh girl growing up. It's a great story of outsiders and what it means to be accepted by society. I highly recommend it.

15. The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness -- 10th Anniversary Edition by Michelle Alexander, with a new preface by the author.

This books makes a convincing argument that our current system of mass incarceration of African-American men is itself a new form of segregation. There is a review of the legacy of the War on Drugs, police department actions, and legal precedents that have moved us far down the path as a country towards segregated spaces. Worth a read, and very interesting!
I've been meaning to read this!

16. and 17. Marc Davis in His Own Words: Imagineering the Disney Theme Parks Volumes I and II by Pete Docter and Christopher Merritt

This is a massive two volume series is a loving tribute and testimonial to the amazing legacy of Imagineer Marc Davis. Davis was one of Disney's Nine Old Men, his best animators who first worked with him in the Disney company, and was responsible for so much of what so many of us think of as classic Disney attractions and their classic look. This collection explores a number of these attractions -- including Pirates, the Tiki Room, the Jungle Cruise, the Haunted Mansion -- and some attractions and ideas that never were realized through a myriad of photographs, interviews and Marc's own words. This is a MUST READ for any true Disney Parks enthusiast. I checked mine out from the library. Now I need to save my pennies to buy my own copy. The books are coffee-table size and beautiful keepsakes that (once I buy them) I am sure I will return to again and again.
Sounds awesome. I love the Imagineering series on Disney+!

20/50
I enjoyed The Royal Nanny by Karen Harper.
(From the Barnes and Noble Site)
April, 1897: A young nanny arrives at Sandringham, ancestral estate of the Duke and Duchess of York. She is excited, exhausted—and about to meet royalty. . . .

So begins the unforgettable story of Charlotte Bill, who would care for a generation of royals as their parents never could. Neither Charlotte—LaLa, as her charges dub her—nor anyone else can predict that eldest sons David and Bertie will each one day be king. LaLa knows only that these children, and the four who swiftly follow, need her steadfast loyalty and unconditional affection.

But the greatest impact on Charlotte’s life is made by a mere bud on the family tree: a misunderstood soul who will one day be known as the Lost Prince. Young Prince John needs all of Lala’s love—the kind of love his parents won’t…or can’t…show him.

From Britain’s old wealth to the glittering excesses of Tsarist Russia; from country cottages to royal yachts, and from nursery to ballroom, Charlotte Bill witnesses history. The Royal Nanny is a seamless blend of fact and fiction—an intensely intimate, yet epic tale spanning decades, continents, and divides that only love can cross.

46/100 Alright Alright Alright The Oral History of Richard Linklater's Dazed and Confused by Melissa Maerz

I think Dazed and Confused is a great movie and like many people who grew up in small towns in the 70s, there is a lot of it I can relate to. I enjoyed the book at the author was able to reach out to many of the actors and crew and talk to them about their experiences making the movie and what has happened to them since. The conversations are intertwined and some of the conversations led to follow-ups. It was interesting to see how people viewed the experience of making the film differently. It was also interesting to learn how some of the actors thought they were a big deal (Shawn Andrews was supposedly the next Marlon Brando) and went on to a very limited career and some who were extras with no lines (Renne Zellweger) are Oscar-winning stars. The book was also enjoyable because of looking back on not just 1976, but also 1992 when the film was made. Lots of great photos and insight from Richard Linklater on how hard it is to actually make a movie. 4.5/5

#22/60 The Secrets of Midwives by Sally Hepworth
A novel about three generations of midwives (a woman, her mother, and her grandmother) and the secrets they keep that push them apart and ultimately bind them together.

One of my favorites so far this year. I would recommend.

4/25- City of Girls by Elizabeth Gilbert-I really enjoyed this book, I was pleasantly surprised because I wasn't a fan of Eat, Pray, Love. This one is fiction though, maybe that's why?

5/25-The Light We Lost by Jill Santopolo-I'm trying to remember what I thought about this book, finished it a few months back. It's centered around two college students who meet on Sept 11th and follows them through the years, it was an interesting read.

6/25- The Alice Network by Kate Quinn-Historical fiction about female spies during World War 1, had a hard time getting into to it but managed to stay with it and it definitely picked up by the last half, very good overall.

17/35 All Things Wise and Wonderful by James Herriot

Herriot’s third book, covering the years during WWII when he was in the RAF and of course more stories of his veterinary work.

This series of books is just so captivating, I really enjoy them.

#27 - 29 - The Bridgertons series, books 6 to 8 by Julia Quinn

More fun, light reading since my Hoopla borrows reset. The whole series was fun and I am looking forward to Netflix continuing the series into the second book and perhaps beyond.

#30 - Cashelmara by Susan Howatch

A family drama epic following multiple generations of a British family with an estate in Ireland in the later years of the famine, this was very melodramatic and a bit slow in parts, but overall a pretty engrossing read.

#31 - A Wolf at the Schoolhouse Door by Jack Schneider and Jennifer Berkshire

A look at the reform movement in American public education and the ways in which the push for charter schools and private school vouchers are designed to weaken the institution of public education itself, this was not as good as I expected as a sometime listener to the authors' education podcast. They make a compelling case from a number of angles, but most of the information they present is so well known that I'd think of it as common knowledge (though perhaps it isn't; their premise is certainly that most people are unaware of some or all of the factors they detail). It would be a good introduction to the subject, I guess, but it fell a bit short of my expectations because I thought it would have more depth.

#32 - Travels in Alaska by John Muir

Continuing my Alaska kick from last year because we're actually going to be there in two short months. If Muir's descriptions of Alaska in the late 19th century, particularly his obvious love for the glaciers he explored and the last-chapter ode to the aurora, doesn't make you want to travel north, you might want to check if you have a pulse. His words paint the most beautiful picture, almost spiritual at times, of a place and time that no longer exist and it feels impossible to read them without wishing you could have seen it as he did.

#33 - 35 - The Rokesbys trilogy by Julia Quinn

More historical romance in the Bridgertons' world, these tell the stories of three young men who grew up next door to the older generation of Bridgertons in the original series. All three were enjoyable, but the last of them was the best not only in this series but in all of Quinn's books that I've read so far. Pirates and kidnapping and all manner of wildly improbable things that made for a very fun story to read.

47/100 Dark Sky by C.J. Box

This Is the most recent Joe Pickett novel. There are quite a few in the series, this might be 19 or 20. Joe Pickett is a game warden in Wyoming who has a wonderful wife and three adult daughters. As is usually the case in these novels, Joe gets himself into a situation that he didn’t intend and things get sort of dangerous. I usually enjoy these novels very much, but this one was a little bit light. Joe is responsible for helping to lead an elk hunting trip for someone who I think is based on Mark Zuckerberg. People are unhappy with the Mark Zuckerberg character and so that’s how the story gets dangerous. The first part of the book was really good, but the last part seemed really rushed as if to just tie it up quickly. The novel also slightly focuses on Joe’s friend Nate Romanowski. Nate is a really interesting character, and there’s not enough of him in this book. I liked the book but it’s certainly not the best of the series. 3.5/5

#23/60 He Started It by Samantha Downing
Beth, Portia, and Eddie Morgan haven't all been together in years. And for very good reasons—we'll get to those later. But when their wealthy grandfather dies and leaves a cryptic final message in his wake, the siblings and their respective partners must come together for a cross-country road trip to fulfill his final wish and—more importantly—secure their inheritance.
But time with your family can be tough. It is for everyone.
It's even harder when you're all keeping secrets and trying to forget a memory—a missing person, an act of revenge, the man in the black truck who won't stop following your car—and especially when at least one of you is a killer and there's a body in the trunk. Just to name a few reasons.

Another psychological one that I enjoyed even tho I keep saying I'm going to stop reading those, lol.
Lots of suspense.

8/30 - Cascadia by H.W. "Buzz" Bernard

Description:
"If you live in the Pacific Northwest, get ready to run for your life . . .

In the face of a massive earthquake and tsunami in the Pacific Northwest, a respected geologist must make two gut-wrenching decisions. One could cost him his reputation, the other, his life.

Is the Northwest overdue for a huge quake and tsunami, or will the region remain safe for hundreds of years yet to come? No one knows… or does someone?

Dr. Rob Elwood, a geologist whose specialty is earthquakes and tsunamis, is having nightmares of "the big one" that are way too real to disregard. His friend, a counselor and retired reverend, does not think Rob is going nuts. To the contrary, he believes the dreams are premonitions to be taken seriously. No one else does, however, even after a press conference.

Some live to regret it, most don't.

Rob's drama becomes intertwined with others--a retired fighter pilot trying to make amends to a woman he jilted decades ago and a quixotic retiree searching for legendary buried treasure in the rugged coastal mountains of Oregon.

All are about to live Rob's nightmare."

I'm glad I found this series of books online through my library. I've enjoyed reading them, even though it seems like his books have pretty low readership based on the number of Goodreads reviews.

6/24 Ivanhoe, by Sir Walter Scott

2.5/5 stars This is one I've meant to read for forever and finally got around to it. Nineteenth century romance novel, meaning knights, chivalry and lots of courtesy, not furtive glances and deep longing. It pretty much revived a genre that was big in the middle ages but died out. Most every subsequent story of that nature, including every Hollywood movie about King Arthur or Robin Hood, and every new novel that retells the old tales from some new modern perspective, is in some way derivative of this novel. Back in my college days as an English major I was rather fascinated with the genre, especially the original material from way back, but this really dragged for me. Took me forever to get through it. Not sure if my taste changed, or Scott's style just didn't work for me, but I cannot recommend it, unless like me, you want to round out your reading list in that field.

Last edited:
7/25 The Blueberry Muffin Murder by Joanne Fluke

8/25 The Plum Pudding Murder by Joanne Fluke

Both are part of the Hannah Swensen murder mystery series. Both were light reading that was written ok. I do want to make some of the baked goods using the recipes though. I picked them up from the little free library in our neighborhood. I am onto a Gentleman in Moscow now.

48/100 Boundless Realms: Deep Explorations Inside Disney's Haunted Mansion by Foxx Nolte

I read this because of the review by @drwitz I really enjoyed it. There is a nice history and comparison of each of the haunted mansions and a discussion of the various themes chosen by Disney and the Imagineers. Some of the info was familiar, but I also learned new things. I will definitely be more observant the next time I ride this attraction. Highly recommended for anyone who loves the haunted mansion or is interested in the processes Imagineers go through. 4.5/5

#24/60 Take a Look at the Five And Ten by Connie Willis
Ori’s holidays are an endless series of elaborately awful meals cooked by her one-time stepfather Dave’s latest bride. Attended by a loose assemblage of family, Ori particularly dreads Grandma Elving—grandmother of Dave’s fourth wife—and her rhapsodizing about the Christmas she worked at Woolworth’s in the 1950s. And, of course, she hates being condescended to by beautiful, popular Sloane and her latest handsome pre-med or pre-law boyfriend.
But this Christmas is different. Sloane’s latest catch Lassiter is extremely interested in Grandma Elving’s boringly detailed memories of that seasonal job, seeing in them the hallmarks of a TFBM, or traumatic flashbulb memory. With Ori’s assistance, he begins to use the older woman in an experiment—one she eagerly agrees to. As Ori and Lassiter spend more time together, Ori’s feelings for him grow alongside the elusive mystery of Grandma’s past.

Pretty good, quick read at just a little over 100 pages. I enjoyed it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter