Reading challenge 2021

18. Smart Women by Judy Blume. One of her adult novels set in the early 80’s. Reading her work is like visiting an old friend.

14/35 The Children’s Blizzard by Melanie Benjamin

Raina and Gerda are sisters, both teenagers, and schoolteachers, in 1888. On the afternoon of January 12 as schools are letting out for the day, a blizzard blows up with absolutely no warning. One sister comes out as a heroine, the other ostracized.

This was a very good historical fiction based on the real account of the 1888 blizzard. The day had started off very mild and people were completely caught off guard. The girls make hard decisions, one resulting well, the other in tragedy. But reading it I had to remember they were just teenagers and thus easy to see the reasons behind their actions. I’ll have to search out more of her books.

#18/60 Gods in Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson
For 10 years Arlene has kept her promises, and God has kept His end of the bargain. Until now. When an old schoolmate from Possett turns up at Arlene's door in Chicago asking questions about Jim Beverly, former quarterback and god of Possett High, Arlene's break with her former hometown is forced to an end. At the same time, Burr, her long-time boyfriend, has raised an ultimatum: introduce him to her family or consider him gone. Arlene loves him dearly but knows her lily white (not to mention deeply racist) Southern Baptist family will not understand her relationship with an African American boyfriend. Reluctantly, Arlene bows to the pressure, and she and Burr embark on the long-avoided road trip back home. As Arlene digs through guilt and deception, her patched-together alibi begins to unravel, and she discovers how far she will go for love and a chance at redemption.

Some parts were really good, other parts I felt the "southernisms" was too played up.

28/100 Tropic of Stupid by Tim Dorsey

This is the newest novel in the Serge Storms series. All of Dorsey's stories are set in Florida, primarily south Florida. And his lead character Serge is intelligent, charismatic, lovable, hilarious, while also being an occasionally psychopathic serial killer who has his own version of what justice should be. For instance, anytime he finds a person taking advantage of senior citizens, he tends to think that the appropriate punishment for that is execution. That being said, he also has an incredible amount of trivia knowledge about the history and geology of Florida. And I learn something new with every book. I particularly like listening to them because the artist who does the audiobooks does such a great job with the characters. This book, like most of the series, is both laugh out loud funny and sometimes shockingly violent. 5/5

Last edited:
29-37/100. William Shakespeare's Star Wars by Ian Doescher

This is a series of books done by Ian Doescher where he re-create the plots of each of the nine Star Wars movies using the language of William Shakespeare. The majority of the books are in iambic pentameter, which is pretty impressive. Because these were written well after the original six movies were completed, there are elements in each of the novels that do some foreshadowing, such as Luke having some awareness of his family. He also pulls in very familiar lines from Shakespeare’s plays. For instance, Leia says that Han kisses by the book. He also uses a very effective strategy where the characters break the fourth wall and speak to the audience. This was some thing Shakespeare did and it makes the plays more effective because characters can say things to the audience that they don’t want to say to another character. One of the characters that does have a speaking voice in the play is R2D2. When communicating with other characters he only says beep and boop, but his asides to the audience are both thoughtful and often hilarious. The last three books obviously reference movies that are much more recent, but I think he did a nice job with those too. I really enjoyed the series and thought it was very clever. 4.5/5

29-37/100. William Shakespeare's Star Wars by Ian Doescher

This is a series of books done by Ian Doescher where he re-create the plots of each of the nine Star Wars movies using the language of William Shakespeare. The majority of the books are in iambic pentameter, which is pretty impressive. Because these were written well after the original six movies were completed, there are elements in each of the novels that do some foreshadowing, such as Luke having some awareness of his family. He also pulls in very familiar lines from Shakespeare’s plays. For instance, Leia says that Han kisses by the book. He also uses a very effective strategy where the characters break the fourth wall and speak to the audience. This was some thing Shakespeare did and it makes the plays more effective because characters can say things to the audience that they don’t want to say to another character. One of the characters that does have a speaking voice in the play is R2D2. When communicating with other characters he only says beep and boop, but his asides to the audience are both thoughtful and often hilarious. The last three books obviously reference movies that are much more recent, but I think he did a nice job with those too. I really enjoyed the series and thought it was very clever. 4.5/5

I loved the versions of the original trilogy. Now I have to look for the other ones. I was so impressed that they were written in iambic pentameter as well!

I would love to see some theater company actually put one of these on as a play.

Mostly fluff this week. It was that kind of week.

The Billionaire's Beagle by Kristy Tate. Freebie romantic fiction.

Leaving November by Deborah Raney. Christian romantic fiction with happy ending.

Final Arrangements. A Manny Rivera Mystery by Rich Curtin. I am a fan of this series and this was a good read with a twist that I did not anticipate.

A Villa in Sicily: Olive Oil & Mystery by Fiona Grace. A Cats and Dogs Cozy Mystery book. Another freebie. Unhappy with her life, Aubrey, a thirty year vet quits her job, buys a fixer up home in Sicily for one Euro and moves there. It was actually a fun, quick read.

Humpty Bumpkin by Sam Cheever. County Cousins Mystery Series Book 1. Another quick read.

27-31 of 104

#19/60 Between, Georgia by Joshilyn Jackson
Nonny Frett understands the meaning of the phrase "in between a rock and a hard place" better than any woman alive. She's got two mothers, "one deaf-blind and the other four baby steps from flat crazy." She's got two men: a husband who's easing out the back door; and a best friend, who's laying siege to her heart in her front yard. And she has two families: the Fretts, who stole her and raised her right; and the Crabtrees, who won't forget how they were done wrong. Now, in Between, Georgia, a feud that began the night Nonny was born is escalating and threatening to expose family secrets.

2/40 Shuggie Bain by Douglas Stuart
My Goodreads rating 4 out of 5 stars

Booker prize winner and it deserved it. It was beautiful, but bleak. About a boy in 1980s Scotland who lives with his alcoholic mother. It can be triggering in some ways, so I felt the need to put that disclaimer.
I tried to read this, but couldn’t.

38/100 The Pardon by James Grippando

This book was recommended to me by my librarian who knows I enjoy John Grisham books. But this was definitely not a John Grisham book. The lead character is a lawyer but he’s not sure if he wants to be a lawyer. He may or may not have committed a murder and his father is the governor of Florida. I found the plot a bit nonsensical and none of the characters were particularly likable. I understand that the author continues the series with the lead character and that he won an award for one of the later books in the series, but I don’t know that I’ll try another one of these. 2.5/5

39/100 Pride and Prescience by Carrie Bebris

This book was recommended to me by my librarian who knows that I love Jane Austen. I thought the premise of the book was very clever. Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy are recently married and obviously in love. They really enjoy laughing and teasing each other. They get involved in a mystery situation involving Caroline Bingley and then they essentially turn into Regency era detectives. I thought the book was very cute and had a spirit in keeping with Jane Austen‘s characters. I understand that the author has written a series of books in the same style but in the other books Elizabeth and Fitzwilliam visit the characters of the other books. So one of them is set in the world of Sense and Sensibility and one is set in the world of Emma, etc. I enjoyed this book enough to read the others. 4/5

#7/10 Paradise Valley by Robyn Carr.
It's #7 in the Virgin River series. Enjoyable. Another set of characters to invest in, while still tying into character development from past characters and the events that occur within their lives.

15/35 The Last Days of John Lennon by James Patterson

Takes you from John’s early years, pre-Beatles, through the Beatle years, through his politics, life with Yoko, his solo work, last album and his death.

I must have put this book on hold last December at the 40th anniversary of his death and then forgot about it. It’s a very quick, easy read. The most interesting parts are his years with the Beatles and how things went south. The mention of many songs reminded me just how many great songs they had. The chapters written from the point of view of Mark David Chapman felt more like a fiction book to me, as it often gave his innermost thoughts and motivations. But at the time of his death I was just a young teenager and didn‘t remember the details of why he did it.

I read 12 books in March, bringing my total for the year to 26.

15)Fire on the Track: Betty Robinson and the Triumph of the Early Olympic Women by Roseanne Montillo – Nonfiction/Sports/History. Centered around Betty Robinson, who won Olympic gold running in only her fourth organized track event through her rehabilitation and Olympic return after a horrible plane crash this book teel sthe stories of just a few of the women to take part in the first three Olympics to allow women to participate. 3.75/5.

16)The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michele Richardson – Historical Fiction. The story of Cussy Carter, a fictious member of the famed Blue People of Kentucky and her job with the WPA’s Pack Horse Library Project. It took me a couple chapters to get into this, but once I did, I enjoyed it. 4/5.

17)Fly Girls: How Five Daring Women Defied All Odds and Made Aviation History by Keith O'Brien – Nonfiction/History. In the early days of Aviation, it wasn’t just men who were looking to make their mark and push the limits of what could be done in the air. Along with Amelia Earhart, the most famous of the group, the four others at the forefront were Florence Klingensmith, Ruth Elder, Ruth Nichol, & Louise Thaden. 4/5.

18)We Do This 'Til We Free Us: Abolitionist Organizing and Transforming Justice by Mariame Kaba – Nonfiction/Social Justice. A collection of essays and interviews with activist, organizer, & educator Mariame Kaba on the abolishment of the Prison Industrial Complex and transformative Justice. 5/5.

19)Renascence and Other Poems by Edna St. Vincent Millay – Poetry. Enda St. Vincent Millay was the first woman to win the Pulitzer Prize for poetry. This was her first collection of poems, which included Renascence, considered one of her finest poems. 4.25/5

20)Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens – Historical Fiction/Mystery. It took me a couple chapters to get into, but once I did get into it, I was hooked. The story has two timelines that slowly intervene. The first is of Kya, who from a young age lives alone in the marshes of North Carolina. The second is of the murder investigation of the local hometown hero. 4.5/5.

21)The Disordered Cosmos: A Journey Into Dark Matter, Spacetime, and Dreams Deferred by Chanda Prescod-Weinstein – Nonfiction/Science/Memoir. Part memoir, part science book, & part social justice. In telling her story of becoming and being a theoretical physicist Chanda Prescod-Weinstein goes in depth on a physics and the cosmos while also talking about the racism, sexism, and other issues that are still dealt with in the world of science and her views on a better future. 4.75/5.

22)So Long a Letter - Mariama Bâ – Epistolary novel. Originally written in French, this is a novel written as a letter by a newly widowed Senegalese woman to her friend detailing the major events in her life. It’s a classic looking at women’s roles in post-colonial Africa. 4.5.

23)Modern HERstory: Stories of Women and Nonbinary People Rewriting History by Blair Imani – Nonfiction/Biography. Mini biographies on 70 women and gender nonbinary people of the 20th & 21st Century who have or are currently changing the world. 4/5

24)The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton – Classic. The tragic tale of Lily Bart’s two year decent from a life of privilege to a lonely life on the outskirts of society. 4/5.

25)Violence Girl: East L.A. Rage to Hollywood Stage, a Chicana Punk Story by Alice Bag – Autobiography. Alice Bag’s autobiography from a violent childhood through her years as a punk rocker to her life as an educator and feminist activist. 4.25/5

26)Sidelined: Sports, Culture, and Being a Woman in America by Julie DiCaro – Nonfiction/Sports. A look at women’s rights and issues through the lens of sports. 4.5/5

#20/90: The Paris Library by Janet Skeslien Charles (4/5) (historical fiction)

Odile secures her dream job at the American library just as Europe is gripped by the Nazi inasion. She works with the other librarians in the Resistance. But the end of the war doesn’t bring the happy ending she expects.

Lily is a lonely girl in Montana, who develops a relationship with the old “war bride” neighbor, never suspecting that they share a secret connection.

#21/90: Code Name Helene by Ariel Lawhon (4/5) )romantic historical fiction)

Nancy Wake Has bluffed her way into becoming a freelance journalist in Paris on the eve of WWII. She meets her match in Henri, and they embark on a romance and marriage, only to be torn apart as she goes undercover to help the Resistance.

I wasn’t a fan of the jumping around in time periods, but bumped the rating based on the fact that she was a real person. Amazon Prime has a documentary on her that I hope to watch someday.

#22/90: The Upstairs House by Julia Fine (3/5) (psychological thriller)

Megan has just given birth and is struggling with motherhood when she discovers someone new has moved in upstairs. But it appears that she is the only one who can see the woman: author Margaret Wise Brown. When Margaret’s former lover Michael Strange gets involved, Megan and her daughter are in danger.

#23/90: The Dollhouse by Fiona Davis (4/5) (historical mystery)

Darby moves into the famous Barbizon Hotel in 1952 to attend the Katherine Gibbs School, she doesn’t imagine that she will be involved in a romance and a tragic accident that will ruin her life. Over fifty years later, Rose learns of the mystery and becomes obsessed with finding out the truth.

#24/90: When We Were Young and Brave by Hazel Gaynor (4/5) (historical fiction)

Elspeth left England and became a teacher in a Chinese missionary school. But as WWII erupted, she had hoped to return and help with the war effort. After Japan declared war on Britain, they took over the school, including the students who were now separated from their parents.

#25/90: Isaac’s Storm by Erik Larson (4/5) (nonfiction)

In 1900, scientist Isaac Cline believed that his beloved city of Galveston would never be in danger from a hurricane. But in August there were strange phenomenons occurring around the world. And the storm that ravaged Galveston was to become the nation’s deadliest disaster.

#26/90: Hidden in Plain Sight (Warwick #2) by Jeffrey Archer (3.5/5) (British detective)

William Warwick has been promoted, and now he and his team have been assigned to the drugs squad. Their first task is to locate and shut down a major dealer known as the Viper. Meanwhile, he is planning his marriage to Beth, and still dealing with the Faulkners.

#27/90: The Kitchen Front by Jennifer Ryan (3.5/5) (historical fiction)

During wartime Britain, food is rationed. A radio program that encourages women to make creative use of those rations runs a contest to find a female cohost. Four women enter the contest as a way to change their lives.

#28/90: The Nature of Fragile Things by Susan Meissner (4/5) (historical fiction)

Sophie is an Irish immigrant who answers a mail-order bride advertisement. Although she adores his little daughter, she feels uneasy about her new husband. Two mysterious women complicate her life. Then the 1906 San Francisco earthquake test them in ways they never imagined.

No Home Like Nantucket by Grace Palmer. Romantic fiction. Not Christian but no adult content beyond people living together without being married. This was the first book in a series and basically introduced the characters that will be featured in the other books. There was not a happy ending because it was just a set up of the future books and nothing was resolved.

A Room of Their Own by Rakefet Yarden and Hila Kreimer Dan-Ber. This is the story of a therapist and patient and handles the intense subjects of child sexual abuse, self-cutting and eating disorders. It was a joint effort of an actual therapist and patient.

32 & 33 of 104

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter