• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Reading challenge 2021

5. As Bright As Heaven by Susan Meissner. Begins in 1918 and shows the impact of the flu pandemic and world war on a family in Philadelphia. Don’t read if funeral homes disturb you. I really loved this book. Finished it quickly.

I’m reading this right now! Yes, I had to get past the setting of the funeral home. They don’t really bother me, but it’s...different.

7//30 - Stamped Out by Tonya Kappes. Southern cozy mystery featuring female mail carrier. Lots of fun characters

8/30 - BlueBuried Muffins by Lyndsey Cole. Cozy mystery in small New England town. It was ok.

9/30 - Murder in Cherry Hills by Paige Sleuth. Cozy Mystery featuring a cat. It was ok.

10/30. - At Your Request by Jen Turano. Historical novella set in New York. Lots of humor and renewed friendship and love.

Last edited:

I’m reading this right now! Yes, I had to get past the setting of the funeral home. They don’t really bother me, but it’s...different.
I found that part to be really interesting. Great book!

1/24 Rhythm of War, Brandon Sanderson. 1,230 pages, finally done. If I can read another 1200 pages by the end of February that can probably cover 3 normal size books and get me back on pace.

#5: Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli Pirates: The Forgotten War That Changed American History by Brian Kilmeade.

Outlines the Tripolitan War story in the area known as then Barbary Coast in North Africa, and Jefferson's experiences as President with a new nation, Navy, and struggle with piracy as a new nation. Caught my interest as I like nonfiction selections usually, and also interested as my mother followed her parents immigrating here to the US although they were European citizens.

06/60 Outsider by Linda Castillo
Chief of Police Kate Burkholder's past comes back to haunt her when she receives a call from Amish widower Adam Lengacher. While enjoying a sleigh ride with his children, he discovered a car stuck in a snowdrift and an unconscious woman nearby. Kate arrives at his farm and is shocked to discover the driver is a woman she hasn't seen in ten years: fellow cop Gina Colorosa.
Ten years ago, Kate and Gina were best friends at the police academy, graduating together as rookies with the Columbus Division of Police. But the reunion takes an ominous turn when Kate learns Gina is wanted for killing an undercover officer. Gina claims she's innocent, that she was framed by corrupt officers who want her gone because she was about to turn them in for wrongdoing.
Kate calls upon state agent John Tomasetti for help and with a blizzard bearing down, they delve into the incident. But no one wants to talk about what happened the night Gina allegedly gunned down a fellow cop. Even Tomasetti is stonewalled, his superior telling him in no uncertain terms to back off.
With whisperings of corruption and the threat of rogue cops seeking revenge, Kate and Gina hunker down at Adam Lengacher's farm. As Kate gets closer to the truth, a killer lies in wait. When violence strikes, Kate must confront a reality that changes everything she thought she knew not only about friendship, but the institution to which she's devoted her life.

This is the 12th book in the Kate Burkholder series. Great as always!
Linda Castillo is one of my favorite authors and would definetely recommend the Kate Burkholder series.

5/35 As Bright As Heaven by Susan Meissner

After the death of their infant son, the Bright family move to Philadelphia so the father can join his uncle‘s funeral home business. But as World War I goes on, the Spanish flu hits and both events have devastating effects on the family.

This was a great story. Admittedly, the setting of the funeral home was a little weird, only because it’s something most of us don’t give much thought to. It’s a necessary part of life but isn’t spoken about. Then the description and events of the Spanish flu really hit close to home, considering we’re right in the midst of a global pandemic. Great plot and subplots.

2/24 Red Rain by Dean Koontz. If not for the Kindle this is so short (49 pages) it would never be released as a stand alone book. But Amazon sells them for <$1 a pop and this series is even available for free to Prime members. And my average page length for books this year is still more than 600 pages, so I'm counting it.

06/60 Outsider by Linda Castillo
Chief of Police Kate Burkholder's past comes back to haunt her when she receives a call from Amish widower Adam Lengacher. While enjoying a sleigh ride with his children, he discovered a car stuck in a snowdrift and an unconscious woman nearby. Kate arrives at his farm and is shocked to discover the driver is a woman she hasn't seen in ten years: fellow cop Gina Colorosa.
Ten years ago, Kate and Gina were best friends at the police academy, graduating together as rookies with the Columbus Division of Police. But the reunion takes an ominous turn when Kate learns Gina is wanted for killing an undercover officer. Gina claims she's innocent, that she was framed by corrupt officers who want her gone because she was about to turn them in for wrongdoing.
Kate calls upon state agent John Tomasetti for help and with a blizzard bearing down, they delve into the incident. But no one wants to talk about what happened the night Gina allegedly gunned down a fellow cop. Even Tomasetti is stonewalled, his superior telling him in no uncertain terms to back off.
With whisperings of corruption and the threat of rogue cops seeking revenge, Kate and Gina hunker down at Adam Lengacher's farm. As Kate gets closer to the truth, a killer lies in wait. When violence strikes, Kate must confront a reality that changes everything she thought she knew not only about friendship, but the institution to which she's devoted her life.

This is the 12th book in the Kate Burkholder series. Great as always!
Linda Castillo is one of my favorite authors and would definetely recommend the Kate Burkholder series.
I just put a hold on it!

That was yesterday, I picked it up today!

Last edited:
5. As Bright As Heaven by Susan Meissner. Begins in 1918 and shows the impact of the flu pandemic and world war on a family in Philadelphia. Don’t read if funeral homes disturb you. I really loved this book. Finished it quickly.
I loved it too! My grandmother in law actually was a beautician who did work p/t at a funeral home, so that aspect was something I was familiar with. The pandemic was awful to read about.
8/50

3/30 - Serafina and the Splintered Heart by Robert Beatty

This is the 3rd book in a series of historical, fantasy young adult novels that take place at the Biltmore Estate around 1899. I read the first book simply because it was set at Biltmore, but have really enjoyed the series.

2/50--"Stamped from the Beginning" by Ibram X. Kendi.--A thorough and engaging history of racism. I wish everyone would read this book. Race is a social construct without a basis in biology, but that does not mean it doesn't have meaning. In fact, it is profoundly meaningful. I found it illuminating how Dr. Kendi used the three categories of segregation, assimilation, and anti-racism to explain this history. This book has had a profound impact on how I think about race. I've just started "How to Be An Anti-Racist" and I am just blown away by the connections I'm making.

3/50-"The Dark Tower" by Stephen King. So I finished the series. I really, really love these books. I think it's probably King's best work. I hate that I no longer get to read about Roland, Eddie, Susannah, Jake, and Oy. But Ka is a wheel. I still think Wolves of the Calla was my favorite of the series.

3/50-"The Dark Tower" by Stephen King. So I finished the series. I really, really love these books. I think it's probably King's best work. I hate that I no longer get to read about Roland, Eddie, Susannah, Jake, and Oy. But Ka is a wheel. I still think Wolves of the Calla was my favorite of the series.

Sooo, how did you like the ending?? I read those books over many years, waiting patiently for each release, that when I finally finished the last book, I just started them all over again, lol.

#7/60 Behind Closed Doors by B. A. Paris
Checked this one out after seeing it on this thread (or maybe last years) a few times so I won't review it but I really did enjoy it and would recommend.

Sooo, y'all, I am completely out of reading material at the moment. I have 3 books on hold that the library just notified me are in but since my car got knocked around the parking lot at work yesterday I am without wheels so I won't be able to pick them up anytime soon. :guilty: Knew I should have grabbed some back up reading when I was in the library the other day, lol.

2/50--"Stamped from the Beginning" by Ibram X. Kendi.--A thorough and engaging history of racism. I wish everyone would read this book. Race is a social construct without a basis in biology, but that does not mean it doesn't have meaning. In fact, it is profoundly meaningful. I found it illuminating how Dr. Kendi used the three categories of segregation, assimilation, and anti-racism to explain this history. This book has had a profound impact on how I think about race. I've just started "How to Be An Anti-Racist" and I am just blown away by the connections I'm making.

My DD graduated from high school in May. One of her former teachers gave her this for a grad present. My DD said I would really like it, so it is on my list.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter