RCCL trip report! Freedom in Eastern Car Jan 26-Feb 2, 2014

I love your trip report but I cannot see any of the photos :( It says that you need to upgrade your account because you are over your bandwidth allotment or something along those lines. We have been on two DCL cruises but are now my wife and I are going to take an anniversary cruise by ourselves on RCCL on a Voyager class ship (Navigator of the Seas). We hope to scope out the differences between RCCL and DCL while onboard but you might already do that for me. :) I hope to get to see your photos soon.

Weird, I see the pics but when I click to see bigger it just says connection error which I thought was the forum. Weird

I was able to see all your pics... but no longer. The message in the box now reads "upgrade to plus for additional bandwidth" :(

Weird, I see the pics but when I click to see bigger it just says connection error which I thought was the forum. Weird

Yes I realized late last night that the thumbnails for the images do show up on my iPad. When on a normal PC or Mac they don't show up because the full images are trying to be displayed.

I know. :scared:

I've never run out of bandwidth before! :faint:

On the iPad App I was able to see your thumbnails so I was able to see most of it! Thanks again for posting your review I really appreciate it.

The centrum looks huge. Do you know what deck it starts and ends at? For example on the Wonder/Magic the center of the ship only goes from Deck 3 to Deck 5. I was curious if I could see down into the centrum from Deck 8 on the Freedom class (I am sailing on Voyager class but I heard they are basically the same but the Freedom is stretched).

Also my daughter is very sensitive to smoke as well. (She has had pneumonia twice and has asthma). Where on the ship is there an over abundance of smoke?

Also when tendering do they use large boats or the life boats? The reason I am asking is I know that HAL uses life boats in some occasions. When we were on the Wonder at Cabo a HAL ship was there and was tendering with old faded life boats. While this probably wouldn't bother me there didn't seem to be much ventilation and frankly I love the trip on the boat up where it is open.

Thanks for tolerating my questions I'll probably have lots since I over plan everything :)

I'm enjoying reading it. I did not see anyone tell you that the hole in the bow of the Disney Dream is the teen club. Very cool.

which begs a question...I did not see any teen club mentioned...do they stop at 11 years old?
Keep up the good work! :wave2:

I love your trip report but I cannot see any of the photos :( It says that you need to upgrade your account because you are over your bandwidth allotment or something along those lines. We have been on two DCL cruises but are now my wife and I are going to take an anniversary cruise by ourselves on RCCL on a Voyager class ship (Navigator of the Seas). We hope to scope out the differences between RCCL and DCL while onboard but you might already do that for me. :) I hope to get to see your photos soon.

Please let us know how Navigator of the seas was! My husband and I are planning a kid free vacation and considering that ship. :)

Sorry all. The prospect of having to pay for photobucket had thrown me!

Siting here at a dance convention with my son and saw the thread come up...feelin' guilty dr leaving you hanging!

I wouldn't want to pay for photobucket either! Maybe another photo sharing site like 4 shared? Personally, while the pictures are great I don't think it is worth paying money just to keep your fans happy;) Glad you and your family are ok.

Thanks much for your informative and descriptive TR! We have our first RCCL cruise booked for late this year and it's helpful to have your recommendations.
In light of avoiding more photos posts, do you have an all-around impression of your cruise?

Did your son prefer it to DCL or is it apples & oranges?

Was the smoking in areas easy enough to avoid? I, too, have trouble and am like a canary in a coal mine for the presence of smoke except I start bark-coughing instead of singing...

Thanks again!

Weird to charge. Try tinypic

I don't want u to pay but I love pics and they are appreciated

New month, new bandwidth limit. princess:

Let me know if you can see the pictures; I can, but let me know if you can.

Thanks much for your informative and descriptive TR! We have our first RCCL cruise booked for late this year and it's helpful to have your recommendations.
In light of avoiding more photos posts, do you have an all-around impression of your cruise?

Did your son prefer it to DCL or is it apples & oranges?

Was the smoking in areas easy enough to avoid? I, too, have trouble and am like a canary in a coal mine for the presence of smoke except I start bark-coughing instead of singing...

Thanks again!

As DS got rested up, he saw that RCCL was just as fun. It was the 4th night when he got to the kid's club, and he went each day after and had a great time. No there's no dance floor that lights up, he didn't make flubber, etc etc. But they had a great staff who kept all the kids entertained and active the whole time they were there. And they made pillowcases and pirate bandanas (which, besides the flubber, is 2 more crafts than he's ever made on DCL!).

Smoking...as long as you pay attention to where you are (don't accidentally wander into the smoking section) it's easy enough to avoid. Neither cruiseline allows smoking on verandahs, so that's good. RCCL does have a lounge or two that allows cigars. For the life of me I cannot remember the name of the lounge on Freedom, but it's to the right of the lounge with the Egyptian theme. Connoisseur, maybe?

At this point, my family thinks that nearly any cruiseline that gets us out on a ship and on the seas is a fave cruiseline. Now, that's not to say I'm going to start jumping onto Carnival ships...I have to admit to a totally irrational (yet maybe not *totally*) wish to avoid that line. :) I mean, we've been on Royal and DCL and like them, so why not just stick with them, right? We would go on either.

Spoiler alert. Because my son isn't ready to go back to Disneyworld (we do have a DisneyLAND trip over Labor Day while otherwise visiting my brother in southern California, but that is rundisney-based), and because we had book a Disney cruise quite awhile ago for October, we knew we didn't have to worry about throwing WDW into the trip. But...4 nights on DCL just didn't seem quite enough. And one day after this trip I got a bit silly and found a cruise on Royal that got into port the same day the Disney ship leaves. And it's 5 nights. So we booked it. :lmao:

The kicker? That one leaves from and gets back to Fort Lauderdale. So we'll be getting off that ship, getting to a rental car agency and just bookin' it up to Port Canaveral. Let us start putting out good, no accidents, no roadworks projects, no nothing standing in our way at all, for that day. :)

I'll get back to pictures and the story. I don't dislike the concept of paying for photo storage. It just kept messing with me. Confusing mix of emotions. :)

Love the idea of the back to back from RCCL to DCL! There is more than one way to get up the coast, so you will be fine! :D Thanks for checking in! I could see pictures.

Love the back to back cruises. I love spontaneous changes and a little adventure mixed in. Hopefully the drive from FLL to Port Canaveral is uneventful . I have mixed feelings about WDW. I miss it, but not sure when we will be back most likely sometime 2015. I can't wait to try a RCL cruise, but I may hold off until my kids are teenagers. They already at age 10 and 11 prefer Universal so I'm afraid if I switch to RCL I may never get them back on DCL.

I love it! Glad to see you back here. We might be heading to DLR in August, but before you are there (unless you decide to do a mega-trip like WDW!!!). Just crunching the numbers, and seeing whether United is going to give me back my miles that someone stole from me.

And I need to hear more about your cruise, and the upcoming cruise! I am a bit obsessed/addicted to cruising now and want to hear everything! Crazy how things turn out!

We did that opposite drive over spring break - we got off DCL and drove down to a hotel in Fort Lauderdale. Very uneventful, all highway. I love the idea of back to back cruises on different lines! Thanks for your answers!

Really enjoying the trip review so far.... will you be finishing it? We are cruising on the Freedom in August 2015 for back to back weeks. We have cruised Freedom once before and LOVED her!!! :)

Well THAT was quite a break from this story! Not like I was gone (well I was for a bit) or in the hospital or anything like that...just had absolutely no "get up and go" to do it. Weird.

Love the idea of the back to back from RCCL to DCL! There is more than one way to get up the coast, so you will be fine! :D Thanks for checking in! I could see pictures.

More than one way, yay!

Yay for a back to back cruise!

:)

Love the back to back cruises. I love spontaneous changes and a little adventure mixed in. Hopefully the drive from FLL to Port Canaveral is uneventful . I have mixed feelings about WDW. I miss it, but not sure when we will be back most likely sometime 2015. I can't wait to try a RCL cruise, but I may hold off until my kids are teenagers. They already at age 10 and 11 prefer Universal so I'm afraid if I switch to RCL I may never get them back on DCL.

We've never done them back to back, so it'll be interesting!

I love it! Glad to see you back here. We might be heading to DLR in August, but before you are there (unless you decide to do a mega-trip like WDW!!!). Just crunching the numbers, and seeing whether United is going to give me back my miles that someone stole from me.

And I need to hear more about your cruise, and the upcoming cruise! I am a bit obsessed/addicted to cruising now and want to hear everything! Crazy how things turn out!

So sorry for disappearing from my report. :scared:

Someone stole miles from you? Eep!

Well be heading to San Diego over a week before the race, a relatively shortish time in Anaheim, then back to San Diego.

We did that opposite drive over spring break - we got off DCL and drove down to a hotel in Fort Lauderdale. Very uneventful, all highway. I love the idea of back to back cruises on different lines! Thanks for your answers!

Uneventful, yay!

The key is that we have a basic room booked on RCCL, then concierge booked on the shorter cruise. I keep trying to find a bargain on at least a junior suite on Vision, but the price is still annoying. Since we got a GREAT rate in an intriguing room (panoramic oceanview, which means nearly floor to ceiling walls but otherwise just oceanview) it's hard to find an equally great upgrade rate! But I keep a lookout, since it would give us double the points or whatever RCCL uses and would get us closer to the next level.

Really enjoying the trip review so far.... will you be finishing it? We are cruising on the Freedom in August 2015 for back to back weeks. We have cruised Freedom once before and LOVED her!!! :)

Finishing it. Yes. Promise. I know it's silly to pay for photobucket, but I like 'em but hate their ads so let's see how the pay version works. :)

Back to back WEEKS, oh how lovely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter