RCCL CEO Says Cruising Will Not Begin Until Cases Begin To Decrease

randumb0

Party at Mickey's
Sorry if already posted. Yes I know RCCL is not Disney, but they are more likely to restart before DCL. Two of the things that stand out to me are testing/treatments aren't curving the spread as anticipated, scale of the spread has made restart impossible, vaccines are a game changer and cruising will not restart until cases decline.

I am really surprised at the lack of people at the vaccine clinics. ABC World News Tonight had a reporter at a new walk in vaccine clinic that opened Sunday in New York. Open 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Few takers and no line. I know there is less vaccine out there expected, but we aren't even using that limited supply up......and some of it is about to hit it's expiration date.

Not surprised. They can't start back up now. Things are too bad. As hard as it is and as much as I would like to take my cruise this year, it is unlikely to happen. Too early, only January, to predict what things will look like in May or June and how the vaccine will change all this. More patience is needed. Cruising aside, I pray for all of this to get better soon.

Thank you for sharing, I thought the part about relying more on the vaccine then protocol was really interesting. It would seem to mean a longer delay in starting, but a more normal cruise experience when it does. I may be taking that wrong though.

I interpreted it the same way which would mean we are months and months away

Thank you for sharing, I thought the part about relying more on the vaccine then protocol was really interesting. It would seem to mean a longer delay in starting, but a more normal cruise experience when it does. I may be taking that wrong though.

This has been how I have been leaning for months. Cruising and restrictions/current cases just isn't going to work. Staff along will make it incredibly challenging as is since they live packed in like sardines.

I am really surprised at the lack of people at the vaccine clinics. ABC World News Tonight had a reporter at a new walk in vaccine clinic that opened Sunday in New York. Open 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Few takers and no line. I know there is less vaccine out there expected, but we aren't even using that limited supply up......and some of it is about to hit it's expiration date.

Can anyone in NY just walk in and get it? Here in NC they've got everyone split into groups so you're waiting until it's your turn. I assume it's the same in NY. But if vaccines are close to expiring then throw the group stuff out the window and let people go get it

This has been how I have been leaning for months. Cruising and restrictions/current cases just isn't going to work. Staff along will make it incredibly challenging as is since they live packed in like sardines.

I feel the same.
And ppl will slowly come to the realization that cruising won't come back until the virus is under control
Under control = a massive reduction in cases/deaths in North America and Europe.
Massive reduction = Vaccines starting to have effect on ppl
Vaccines having effect = When >70% of population is vaccinated
When will >70% of ppl will be vaccinated? With luck, end of 2021.
I h8 this &*%^* virus.

Can anyone in NY just walk in and get it? Here in NC they've got everyone split into groups so you're waiting until it's your turn. I assume it's the same in NY. But if vaccines are close to expiring then throw the group stuff out the window and let people go get it
I think getting into the tier for getting the vaccine is like getting a fastpass for Carousel of Progress.

Last edited:
I feel the same.
And ppl will slowly come to the realization that cruising won't come back until the virus is under control
Under control = a massive reduction in cases/deaths in North America and Europe.
Massive reduction = Vaccines starting to have effect on ppl
Vaccines having effect = When >70% of population is vaccinated
When will >70% of ppl will be vaccinated? With luck, end of 2021.
I h8 this &*%^* virus.

I think before the vaccine results were announced and we started moving towards approval, there was more of an appetite in the industry to find a way to resume operations mid pandemic because there was no end in sight. Now that herd immunity through vaccines feels achievable in the foreseeable future I think the cruiselines are less interested in resuming while the pandemic rages on.

I think before the vaccine results were announced and we started moving towards approval, there was more of an appetite in the industry to find a way to resume operations mid pandemic because there was no end in sight. Now that herd immunity through vaccines feels achievable in the foreseeable future I think the cruiselines are less interested in resuming while the pandemic rages on.
I agree that is probably what they are thinking. However, I predict that vaccine acceptance will hit a wall, and that other events may begin to eclipse our focus on COVID-19.

I agree that is probably what they are thinking. However, I predict that vaccine acceptance will hit a wall, and that other events may begin to eclipse our focus on COVID-19.

What other events? I truly think as the vaccine is rolled out we all should be able to get back to cruising. There may be a time masks are still needed, but eventually that will pass as well. We are hopeful to be able to sail later this year. The only concern I have is if they go to a quicker rollout to more people, will they still be able to administer the second dose in the proper time window. Pfizer has warned that they don't had data outside the time window they tested.

What other events? I truly think as the vaccine is rolled out we all should be able to get back to cruising. There may be a time masks are still needed, but eventually that will pass as well. We are hopeful to be able to sail later this year. The only concern I have is if they go to a quicker rollout to more people, will they still be able to administer the second dose in the proper time window. Pfizer has warned that they don't had data outside the time window they tested.
Its hard to say. I never would have predicted all of the things that happened in 2020. Therefore, I am unable to predict all of the things that could happen in 2021. But, I think massive civil unrest would be at the top of my list of concerns. We could also have economic turmoil, etc. The pandemic has, naturally, consumed almost all of our attention. But, there are other things going on.

yep. pretty much.
Which makes total sense, but also makes a return of sailings almost an impossibility in 2021.

yep. pretty much.
Which makes total sense, but also makes a return of sailings almost an impossibility in 2021.

Yea. Sigh. I give our August Northern European maybe a 25% chance of sailing just because the Magic is in Europe and maybe the EU will have it more together but I give us an almost zero percent chance of being on it given all the restrictions that would need to lift for that to be possible.

I really thought cruises would up in March/April with whatever test protocols they were putting in place. I'm kicking myself for postponing our Aug cruise until Feb 2022. I should have waited it out and gotten a full refund!

Sorry if already posted. Yes I know RCCL is not Disney, but they are more likely to restart before DCL. Two of the things that stand out to me are testing/treatments aren't curving the spread as anticipated, scale of the spread has made restart impossible, vaccines are a game changer and cruising will not restart until cases decline.

Testing is great, but...

A lot of people are not following the recommendations...

This has a huge impact on the spread of the virus...

(And --domino effect-- the return of cruises!)

Vaccines are available to snowbirds in Florida (these guys cannot receive it here yet). It says a lot about how available they are.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter