Random WDW Info - I Never Knew!

Originally Posted by MQuara
Richard Nixon gave his memorable "I'm not a crook" speech on 11/17/73 at Disney's Contemporary Resort Hotel.

Actually, the best known "I am not a crook " speech, also known as the "Checkers" speech, was made in the 50's when Nixon was the Vice-President under Eisenhower. Nixon was accused of using illegal campaign funds. Checkers was Julie's dog, which is the only thing that he claimed that he kept, the speech also made reference to Pat's "Rebublican cloth coat".

peter11435 said:
That is not exactly true. Disney did purchase the land the Swan and Dolphin are located on. In fact Disney still owns the land. If you read my earlier post on the subject you will see what took place to bring those hotels to WDW. Also the hotels have always been operated by the Tishman Corporation.

To add to this (Peter you always have good info!)..The Tishman deal was in place when Eisner/Wells came on board. Also a deal was brewing for Marriot (I think) to build and operate a mass expansion and ultimately all on-property Disney Hotels. Eisner came in took a look and ultimately decided that Disney should build the hotels and operate them--he conceded that he knew they would make mistakes but they would learn from them and they would be fantastic 'Disney Imagineered' attractions themselves.

1. As you walk around the castle, there are speakers in the landscaping, the theme music gets lower as you walk away from a land and gets louder for the land you are entering.

2. Space Ship Earth would fit in side the living seas pavillion.

3. The thatch roofs on buildings are synthetic and were once modified drinking straws.

4. The windows at the top of the castle are only two feet tall because of forced perspective.

5. Similarly, the buildings on main street are 5/8 scale, meaning that the first story is full size and every story above it is 5/8 the size of the previous floor.

6. In morracco, which was built by the government, Purposely puts flaws in its construction (ie. a cracked door) because they believe that no one can be as perfect as Allah who they worship.

7. When it rains, the reason you dont get hit with water falling of Space Ship Earth is because there are hidden rain channels in the individual tiles that direct it towards gutters in the legs.

8. Many of the attractions in Epcot have vip lounges for its sponsoring companies. The one in the living seas has its own Large viewing window.

9. The monorail originally cost something like a million dollars a mile.

10. If you see a lone tree standing in the distance, it is probably a disguised cell tower.

11. All the white sand on the beaches around the MK was found at the bottom of bay lake when they were dredging it.

12. Look at the second floor windows at MK and you will see the names of many of the icons of Disney with appropriate titles.

13. the central MK garbage recycling plant is hidden by splash mountain.

14. As fast as it seems, Space mountain goes only 30 mph.

Theres probably a lot more if I just think a little more.

You will never find a newspaper sold in the Magic Kingdom. It would ruin the "fantasy" by bringing in the real world. Also, no chewing gum :)

cleo said:
AmyBWV99, what did they change the label to that was offensive to Disney? I looked at all the Molson Canadian products and can't find anything about any of their labels that could be considered offensive. :confused3

Just curious. :)

I can't remember exactly, but there are 100 different labels on the Molson Canadian bottles. Stuff like a picture of a typewriter and the phrase 'I can pound that out in no time' and pictures of feet and the phrase 'pardon me while I get my groove on' and a picture of a donkey and phrase 'Guess where my tattoo is'. I thought they were pretty good, but Disney didn't like them. So said a CM in the Canada pavilion...

Click here http://www.twinlabel.com/main.php and click on the 'spin the bottle. se the twin label in action.

When the park was being built, Walt wanted to figure out how close together to place the trash cans.
He got himself a hotdog and stood still. He figured place a trash here.
Then he walked as he ate the hot dog. When he finished the hot dog, there needed to be another trash can for the wrapper. That distance is how close the trash cans needed to be.
The last time I was in the world I thought about that story, it seems "extra" cans must have been added, or he ate really fast!

there is a dinosaur in the AK dinoland that is repainted every morning and also includes a hidden mickey! ;)

I know this is off topic, but what the heck is subscribing? I read all of the post but why do you need to subscribe?

Subscribing is the tool that allows you to get an e-mail when someone adds a new comment to a thread you are interested in, you'll know! You can keep up on new posts. It is under "thread tools"
BTW--this is a fun thread-keep it up all you knowedgable folks! Deb

WDWCPAlumni said:
When the park was being built, Walt wanted to figure out how close together to place the trash cans.
He got himself a hotdog and stood still. He figured place a trash here.
Then he walked as he ate the hot dog. When he finished the hot dog, there needed to be another trash can for the wrapper. That distance is how close the trash cans needed to be.
The last time I was in the world I thought about that story, it seems "extra" cans must have been added, or he ate really fast!

If I remember the Travel Channel show I saw correctly, it took Walt 22 steps to finish his hot dog, so he placed a garbage can every 21 steps. I just wish some people would learn how to use them!! :teeth:

AmyBWV99 said:
And one more: the Guerlain shop in France at Epcot is the only Guerlain shop in the US that carries the entire Guerlain line of cosmetics. Its makeup is high-end enough that outside of this flagship shop, only Saks Fifth Avenue and Nieman Marcus sell the makeup line in the US.

Not true....there is a Guerlain Botique in the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas which has the entire product line much than the Epcot store. I know this because I go to WDW 2x per year and the Bellagio at least 3 and I always stock up in Las Vegas because they have products there that they don't have anywhere else.

I learned the other day that Walt Disney was afraid of mice...

I am not sure if it is true or not :confused3 but if it is its quite ironic :wizard:

Pigletlover said:
I've been wondering about those big baobob trees in Africa in Animal Kingdom. I saw one near the entrance to the safari, and also along the safari route. They look like they are upside down, with roots up in the air.

One of the cast members said they are real and Disney brought them all the way from Africa and planted them. But later I read something online that said they are artificial. I am wondering which is true? If they brought them from Africa, wouldn't there be the worry of bringing in disease or insect infestation to Florida?

Piglet,

All of the baobob trees on the Safari are fake. In fact, some are clevelry disguised animal feeders, storage units, etc.

The only real baobob tree in DAK is outside the Tusker House restaurant. Look for the tree with white paint on the trunk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter