Raise the ticket prices.

I guess I don't those things reduce crowds. I think they increase them. They entice more people to come to Disney World and spend more time there.

As for guest experience, just because there are examples of excellent service doesn't mean that the overall level of service hasn't declined. Things started going downhill when Disney cut the training for new cast members from a few days to a few hours. They aren't indoctrinated the way they used to be. Plus there's the growth of the college program which brings in a bunch of young people who are treated like crap and mostly have no real commitment to the job. Sure, some of them "get it" and are excellent, and often go on to become CMs after their college experience, but I don't think that's the norm.

Without question, the CP creates a problem(also solves cash woes) with guest experience. The only way to combat it is speak out if you have a poor experience, but I’ve mentioned previously that the problem isn’t with a 30+ year guest ...it’s the new guests that think things are just great. Disney knows this so has no reason to change. Sure -it’s more crowded now and service is in decline ....but only to you and me Steve! To the 100,000 new guests this is all perfectly normal .....and acceptable!

There's definitely a sweet spot for Disney with regards to crowds. They want the largest crowds possible that don't negatively impact the guest experience. Also, they want to maximize what each guest spends. Increasing prices of tickets, restaurants and souvenirs is tricky, and Disney has to find the place which maximizes profits.

rather than raising single day prices, I'm thinking they may decrease the savings of multi-day tickets as a way to decrease crowds.

I don't understand the people who think Disney is raising prices to improve guest experience. If they wanted lower crowds, they could easily do so by lottery or institute a lower capacity cut off.

Disney doesn't want lower crowds. If Disney could be filled to tier one closure capacity daily, they would be thrilled.

The ticket increase is all about seeing how far they can go before it impacts attendance. Once it does, there will be a couple year hiatus on the increases until the public warms to it (along with enticing promotions to cushion the blow of the increase) then the increases will pick back up.

I don't understand the people who think Disney is raising prices to improve guest experience. If they wanted lower crowds, they could easily do so by lottery or institute a lower capacity cut off.

Disney doesn't want lower crowds. If Disney could be filled to tier one closure capacity daily, they would be thrilled.

The ticket increase is all about seeing how far they can go before it impacts attendance. Once it does, there will be a couple year hiatus on the increases until the public warms to it (along with enticing promotions to cushion the blow of the increase) then the increases will pick back up.

It's not that simple. I would tend to agree that they aren't incredibly concerned with overcrowding right now, but I'm not sure very many people believe that the price increases are for any other reason than that the market will easily bear them. I'm also almost certain that they recognize a contingent of people are unhappy about the situation, because the metrics they used in analyzing the "Disney After Hours" program would had to have suggested enough guests would be willing to pay an exorbitant premium for what Disney refers to as a "classic" experience.

It would be naive to not see that there are sacrifices to the guest experience when pushing to add more attractions & profit. However, as long as the Magic is still there for me on my family's trips we'll continue to go. If tickets ever reached the $200 mark it would force us to go once a year or every other year.

There's a lot to look forward to in the coming years, and unfortunately higher ticket prices are included.

Exactly what I keep saying. Disney cares about the bottom line. How much money are they making? They used to care about guest experience but they don't anymore sadly.

I understand where you’re coming from, but I’ll say this.... when I go to get a coffee each morning and on the third day the woman working there remembers exactly what I want(and it’s not black), asks me my name and addresses me as Mr. John on the next 3-days..... someone is concerned with guest experience! And you know, I’m nothing special!!

when I go to get a coffee each morning and on the third day the woman working there remembers exactly what I want(and it’s not black), asks me my name and addresses me as Mr. John on the next 3-days..... someone is concerned with guest experience!
Certainly, but there is a big difference between an individual CM going out of their way to make magic and what the corporate culture has become.
Yea, all those announcements at D23, none were for the guests at all.
There is a lot more to guest experience than adding new attractions or building another hotel.

Look, we are AP holders. We buy into the whole Disney experience as much as anyone. But as someone who has been visiting since the 1970s, I absolutely see how things have declined over the years. In the past, CMs were always great. They were always in character and focused on helping guests to the best of their ability. Now, I've had many times where some CMs were no better at Disney than they are at my local Walmart and that saddens me. It's a lack of training. It's poor management. It's an overall decrease in the focus on guest experience. We still find amazing CMs and have great interactions with them, but it's far easier than ever to find the not-so-good ones. And it's not just CM stuff. Just last month we had a lousy dining experience that ultimately resulted in me having to speak to the manager to finally get our order right and we got the entire meal cost refunded for our trouble. And we weren't the only guests in the restaurant that day who were having trouble because I saw and spoke to others near us who were having similar issues.

I'm the first one to defend Disney when people complain but I'm also honest about their faults. I want to see them go back to the level of service and consistency that I used to expect from them.

I thought that the discussion about ticket prices was very interesting. The "what if" Disney raised the price to $250 per day. That would be way out of my budget but I'm sure there are plenty of well off folks that would be willing to pay that without hesitation. So what about this theory. What if Disney designated certain parks on certain days as premier ticket days. So for example if you want to visit the MK on Mondays, Wednesdays, or Saturday you have to shell out $250 while the other parks on those days are regular ticket prices. Then on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Friday, and Saturday MK is regular price while a different park is designated as premier ticket days. Those willing to pay much more would get a park that would be potentially much less busy. I would guess they could probably still fill the park with those willing. Now this would make planning for a Disney trip even more complicated and probably make the non-premier parks even busier. But would Disney care? Could they make more money if they did this? If the answer was yes I wouldn't put it past them to try it. What do others think?I

Dave

That would be fine if Disney only allowed single day ticket sales, but how would you work this plan out with multi-day tickets?

I'm the first one to defend Disney when people complain but I'm also honest about their faults. I want to see them go back to the level of service and consistency that I used to expect from them.
A thousand times "AMEN!", @disneysteve . Very well stated!

And, I think if I'm correct, you're a stockholder as I am? Besides having the AP (I sadly have not had one in awhile), pointing out that "yes - I want to make dividends as a stockholder, but some things are MUCH more important than that" usually figures into my discussions with folks on this topic too.

I don't think I speak for just myself in saying I did not buy the stock for the dividends, or to make a profit on sales of the shares, and have no intention in selling it. I bought it for sentimental reasons, and to support an entity that brings happiness and a certain way of doing business, and was a business model for all other companies - they were about SO MUCH MORE than "just going to the theme parks, or playing with stuffed toys" to me. (I also bought it to be able to frame the gorgeous certificates "back in the day" - which they no longer do. And yes - I understand this is not "a thing" anymore, but I miss the certificates, nonetheless). :( To see the degradation of those ideals is so disappointing and sad to me. And yet - I am still hopeful there will be some sort of return to those days. and have no plans to sell my shares - not for no longer feeling the depth of support I once did, nor for the (I will admit) tidy profit I would make. Hope springs eternal here.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter