Quick survey for those in the US - please help me test out an interesting theory

closest grocery 1.3 miles
state is Illinois
sadly, lived here my whole , boring life

Carly, you are close. The theory is that people from the south respond in minutes, while northerners respond in miles. We really need more responses from Southerners! Also, I thought it was interesting one poster responded both ways. BTW, I am from the south and always refer to distances in terms of time even if I have to qualify it (ie - 30 minutes with no traffic 45 minutes during rush hour).

:lmao:I have to laugh.

After living in TX for just 3 yrs I now respond in minutes.

When I was living in TX it didn't matter how many miles something was. What matter was how much time it took. Just because something was 10 miles away did not mean it was going to take 10 minutes. More than likely it would take you 30 minutes.

Where I am at now you can easily match up miles with time. We have better HWY access because there are less people here.

My DD read/heard something rather interesting and I though the DIS would be a great place to test it out. Please answer the following questions WITHOUT reading any of the responses first. This is the one time it is a GOOD thing to poast before reading all the replies. :) Once enough people have replied, I'll come back with the hypothesis and whether or not it seems to have proven correct:

1 - How far is the closest grocery store from your house?
2 - What state do lyou live in (if you are not comfortable posting this information, you can just give the part of the county you live in)
3 - What state or part of the country have you lived in for most of your life?

Thanks!

1. less than 2 miles
2 Virginia
3. Virginia (but spent 11 years in the deep south...FL, AL & LA)

I answered in miles but now that I have read the theory I will add my 2 cents! I live in a suburb. 3 miles is 3 miles and anywhere you go that is 3 miles away takes about the same amount of time.

However, the company I work for has a location in Atlanta (well, Lithonia actually but I have to go through ATL to get there). For several years I worked there at least one day/week. I would never have answered in miles if I lived in city like Atlanta where 3 miles can take 5 minutes or 20 minutes!

JMHO:goodvibes

2 1/2 miles
2 - What state do you live in (if you are not comfortable posting this information, you can just give the part of the county you live in)
North Carolina
North Carolina

The nearest grocery store is 10 miles away.

I live in Michigan.

I've lived in Michigan (same county in fact) all my life.

1. How far is the closest grocery store from your house? Five minute drive
2. What state do you live in (if you are not comfortable posting this information, you can just give the part of the county you live in)? Northern Virginia
3. What state or part of the country have you lived in for most of your life? Northern Virginia

12 pages, but I didn't read them, as requested in the OP. Maybe you're done, but here are my answers. :)

1 - How far is the closest grocery store from your house? about a quarter of a mile
2 - What state do lyou live in (if you are not comfortable posting this information, you can just give the part of the county you live in) Colorado
3 - What state or part of the country have you lived in for most of your life? West. California and Colorado

My DD read/heard something rather interesting and I though the DIS would be a great place to test it out. Please answer the following questions WITHOUT reading any of the responses first. This is the one time it is a GOOD thing to poast before reading all the replies. :) Once enough people have replied, I'll come back with the hypothesis and whether or not it seems to have proven correct:

2 - What state do lyou live in (if you are not comfortable posting this information, you can just give the part of the county you live in)

Thanks!

1. The closest grocery store is about 1.25 miles from my home.
2. Connecticut.
3. Connecticut.

1 - How far is the closest grocery store from your house? Like 5 minutes.
2 - What state do lyou live in (if you are not comfortable posting this information, you can just give the part of the county you live in) PA
3 - What state or part of the country have you lived in for most of your life? PA

Thanks!

About a mile give or take
Florida
CA

1. Real grocery store 2.8 miles. Convenience store that also sells groceries 0.9 miles.
2. Ohio
3. Ohio

4 miles

Connecticut

Connecticut

1 mile

Kansas

Iowa/Kansas

Walmart - about 10 minutes - maybe six miles. There is a corner market about 3 miles - not really a place to do grocery shopping.

I live in the South

The South, my whole life.

One mile or so. The next biggest intersection, I suppose.

California

California

Funny. I grew up in California and everyone described distances in times. It can give a more accurate picture of how far away something feels, when certain 10-mile stretches of road can typically take an hour to drive, and others just 15 minutes.

I answered in miles, though. Since I've lived in Colorado (and I'm asked if I'm from California every time I describe distance in minutes :rotfl2:) I've gotten more in the habit of answering in miles, especially when something is very close, like the grocery store. (I've also picked up words like "pop" and "highway", when it used to be "soft drinks" and "freeway" :rotfl: )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter