QUICK! Is it worth it to try and have a refrigerator fixed?

mad hatter fan

DIS Veteran
We have a side by side Frigidair that is 7 years old. We have been having problems with it keeping things cold enough. Hubby tried cleaning the coils but now it is too warm inside to keep food ok. All frozen stuff has been moved to the freezer downstairs and the other stuff is in coolers now. Is it ever worth it to pay to have a repairman come to try and fix a refrigerator this old? Or should we just be going shopping for a new one? :confused3

Had to decide the same thing. Serviceman came and told us we needed a new compressor...1000.00, I scheduled it and as he left he turned to me and said don't waste your money. when we put the new one in we may find oil in the line and then it will cost even more. We have a Ge Monogram which is similar to a subzero brand. Good luck.

Yep I just went thru this too in July..had an Amana only 9 yrs old the seal was broke and the compressor was going. The service man said not worth it to fix go get a new one. I was quite upset I said it's only 9 years old...he said they only make appliances to last 7 so consider yourself lucky you got 2 more years out of it. I think that's crap:mad:

Wow! My Amana is over 22 years old. The ice maker went, so we
bought trays. Otherwise, it's be a jewel. Sorry you're dealing with this.

My fridge is 15 years old and still kicking. When I had my stove worked on the repairman heard my fridge and told me it sounded bad. He said, "That is gonna die soon, don't call me." He told me to just replace it. Well, that was well over a year ago.
It's an Amana. I know she is ready to go but I keep telling her we need her! LOL! We have been pricing fridges just in case she decides to leave us sooner than we want!

If I were you I would go out and look for a new fridge. If it is not cooling I think it would be too expensive to repair.
Good luck.

We came home from Disney in June and our AC and fridge went out!:scared1: We ended up repairing the fridge $250 and replacing the AC $6600!:sad2:

I told the repairman our problem, brand of fridge and he came with the parts. I believe that the service call was $79 which was waived if we had him fix it.

We have a GE side x side that came with the house. A few months ago the fridge wasn't cooling, but the freezer was. Defrosted the coils, but a few days later the same thing happened again. I think it cost about $200 to replace the unit (3 parts) that tells the fridge/freezer to defrost.

We had a frigidare that was 7 years old also and it recently stopped working. Called someone out to look at it and it was the same story - compresser - $1000. :mad: We ended up getting a new fridge. :sad2:

I am living this right now! I will know more Monday after the repairman comes. We have an LG French Door from Home Depot. It is 23 months old! The ice maker does not dump the ice, and the refrigerator which we currently have set to 34 degrees is pretty warm. Well, good luck finding anyone who will even work on an LG appliance. There is like a whole website devoted to "I hate LG appliances" apparently. And of course I have 4 LG appliances! We got a great deal on it-$1,300. But the service center has already said it will probably cost around $450. Probably. Should I really have to replace a refrigerator that is just under 2 years old?

I always found it to be that little box under thr front door of the fridge...
can;t remember the name of it. I took the serial and model no.s down to service and picked it up about $2o. Works great.

The last fridge that was the problem, but repair guy came out, defrosted the fridge and coils in back got a hole and it lost the coolant Was I pi$$ed.

I ended up getting a new fridge!
I am not sure is it condensor not compressor or visa versa?
Hope your problem is a small one. Oh Gibson is the same as AMANA, I think it is, but we have a ten yr warranty not the 5.
Knock on wood. Last time someone talked about a dishwasher problem, mine went....the following week, someone had a dryer die, I needed it repaired thank gosh the parts were on Ebay for 1/3 the cost and son put them in.

Good luck,
di

We had this problem once. My husband took everything out, unplugged it for a day, then plugged it back in. Worked great ever since. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it. :confused3

IMHO NO. I had fridge problems last May. By the time I paid for service call and some minor work, I could have just applied that $$$ to the new fridge I needed two months later.

Wow, I feel for you all. We have always bought our appliances at Sears. Everyone who hears this cringes and says how bad they are. We have a fridge that has been running well(cross my fingers) 10 years in this house and 8 years at the last. We even stored it for a month while moving across a few states.

Boy I hope this isn't going to jinx me :grouphug:

Our 15 year old fridigidaire died a slow death last week. First we tried the unplugging for a weekend while we were away and it worked for a few more days after that. We replaced it with a new fridigidaire approx $900. We have water and ice through the door. Just a warning when refrigerator shopping - they have grown taller over the years. We have a cabinet over it so we had to make some adjustment to that so the doors of the cabinet would still open.

My Mom had an old fridge in the basement that the freezer stopped keeping things frozen. She moved all the frozen things to the upstairs freezer and the next day the motor in the fridge caught on fire and destroyed her house. Please don't mess with these things....if you are unsure about whether to repair or not, at least unplug it first, then call the repairman.

Our current Frigidaire is 19 years old and we've never had a problem with it. We bought a new one since we bought a new house and the salesmen told us that the newer ones only last around 10 years!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter