Questions for Northerners by Southerners or vice-versa in the USA?

That’s a high school vs. college difference. My daughters at Clemson and BU have a very similar college schedule. Our NJ schools have never started before Labor Day.
Looking at my cousins' schedule in North Carolina, they start school the third week of August and finish the first week of June, so about a week ahead of my school in NJ.

Where are these things in the north? Hockey? That's very specific and strikes me as more Canada or really up north like toward the border.
Fried pork? Like a schnitzel?
Public transport is just cities. If you live in a town or small suburb there are buses and they are not reliable. You need to drive for sure.
I have never seen a Drive-thru store, other than for food (mcd, dunkin, etc)

Hockey is THE sport here in MN. My kids did not play as they were into other things, but most ppl I know growing up played and almost everyone had rinks in their backyard or in the neighborhood growing up.

Hockey is THE sport here in MN. My kids did not play as they were into other things, but most ppl I know growing up played and almost everyone had rinks in their backyard or in the neighborhood growing up.
Yes, I think that's what I mean. There is a big different between "Northeast" and "the North" in general. Totally different areas and cultures. They can't be grouped together.

Southerners, please explain the classic "bless their heart" phrase. Also, on a scale of one to ten, how much do you enjoy country music?
Two meanings. One good, one bad.

Veiled insult.
I is smart.
Oh bless your heart.

Sympathy.
He's been through heart surgery, his house burned down, and on top of that his wife left him for another man.
Oh bless his heart.

Where are these things in the north? Hockey? That's very specific and strikes me as more Canada or really up north like toward the border.
Fried pork? Like a schnitzel?
Public transport is just cities. If you live in a town or small suburb there are buses and they are not reliable. You need to drive for sure.
I have never seen a Drive-thru store, other than for food (mcd, dunkin, etc)
Ice Hockey is a religion up here in N. Mn. Really. Kids start as soon as they can walk and train for years to try to get into the NHL. It's a very expensive sport to pursue and is the #1 sport up here. I am so glad my son didn't want to play. It takes a lot of dedication, traveling, and money!

Chicago pizza is the best… this is the hill I will die on :thumbsup2

That said, I like many different types of pizza, but that is my favorite.

I've seen small hail a few times here, but nothing like that.

Although I’m not in the USA, I have to jump in. We had a terrible storm last night, as we have been having record heat, and omg the hail. 😬 we have had it on the rare occasion, but not like these golf balls, they surely dented and damaged some cars, thankfully not mine.
We were warned for a possible tornado, not the first time, we didn’t get that, but we got one heck of a storm. 😳

Interesting, football is definitely the thing where I live in TN, never hear anything about baseball for kids, but softball for girls is huge.
Yes, it must be different in different sections of Tn. Every boy played baseball in our small town. My son really didn't want to but he followed along and played. They played in heavy rain, all kinds of weather! Football was popular for the older boys but I'm talking about elementary school aged kids in our town.

Yes, it must be different in different sections of Tn. Every boy played baseball in our small town. My son really didn't want to but he followed along and played. They played in heavy rain, all kinds of weather! Football was popular for the older boys but I'm talking about elementary school aged kids in our town.
Maybe having 3 girls I just never noticed. There weren't a lot of options for elementary age kids, so not sure if I just didn't notice it or if our town didn't have it. I only really remember people getting excited for football and softball from middle school on up before that it was more whatever private thing your kid was into. Travel ball might have been big with young boys, not sure. I just know it wasn't something others would care about like football or softball were. Never had anyone invite us to a game or anything.

Southerners, does the stereo type of the South being less kind to Northerners who move there still hold true to a point or is that more of an out dated myth? Also is there still an anti Catholic sentiment in most places or is that just a rarity in specific areas of the South? Thanks. 😊

Southerners, does the stereo type of the South being less kind to Northerners who move there still hold true to a point or is that more of an out dated myth? Also is there still an anti Catholic sentiment in most places or is that just a rarity in specific areas of the South? Thanks. 😊
Yes and no.

People from the north and more recently California get a bad rep, and there’s this general feeling that we don’t want you here, but it’s not that simple. Southerners aren’t really mean. It’s more we get defensive because people come here and then want to change things or force their views on us.

Especially when it comes to California, there’s this idea that “you” (Californians) messed up your own state so much you had to leave, so why do you want to come make the same bad decisions here?

People who want to assimilate are welcome. People who want to come here change everything and lecture us on everything we are doing wrong are not. I think some people feel their culture is being threatened.

Definitely not saying the south is perfect or doesn’t have room to improve, but no one wants to be put down or lectured by someone else, especially someone not from here who may not fully understand an issue. It’s easy to think something is black and white from the outside.

For instance, let’s say you are anti hunting. Ok great, but couple of problems. If we stop that, someone still has to take over handling population control and thinning out the diseased deer right now. Second thing, in the south, there are a lot of low income families that depend on hunting for food. We even have charities where you can donate deer meat if you don’t want to keep it, and it goes to the needy. A lot of people depend on hunting season to feed their families the rest of the year. If you take that away, you’ve got to have alternatives to provide those families meat. Not to mention all the cultural aspects to it. It’s a big part of life here. If someone moves here and starts lecturing about how it’s wrong and needs to be stopped, people aren’t going to respond to that well.

Another example, I knew a super feminist girl from the north who would throw the biggest fits if a man held a door for her, said yes mam, offered to carry something, or pulled out a chair, even if the man was like 70+. He has been taught this is being respectful. There’s nothing to be offended over. He doesn’t think you are less of a person, but she would make a huge fuss and yell at the poor unsuspecting man. Its people like that that cause problems. If you are nice and polite, we will be nice and polite back.

So because of stuff like that, there is a definite wariness to outsiders, but overall, we are super friendly and accepting of anyone new until they give us a reason not to be.

Hope that makes sense.

Ok here we go tornados.

Wake up midnight to go to the bathroom. Lay back down only to hear a siren. Great. Gets phone out. Opens weather channel. Finds Tornado Warning. Sounds like tornado is south of town. I live north of town. Ok. Next step pinpoint tornado. Go to local news station. Nothing. No coverage. Try Ryan Hall Yall on YouTube. Nothing. No coverage. Finally find random storm chaser live streaming coverage of storm. Confirm, yes tornado is south of me moving away. Feel good staying upstairs in bed for now, but multiple tornadoes possible with storms, so not comfortable going back to sleep just yet. Need to keep watching live blogger until main storm is past. 30 minutes later still watching. Ok 40 minutes later, main “red” storm past. Siren off, ok to go back to bed at least until the next wave in a few hours.

“Day” (night) in the life of a southerner living in a tornado prone area!

As a Northerner who moved to the deep South, I can answer that. Everyone we met when we moved was gracious and kind. There was never any hostility at all. They went out of their way to help us, and to make us feel at home. One of my dearest friends is a native southerner, whom I keep in touch with even though I now live in N. Mn.

There was never any anti Catholic sentiments at all. However, there were very few Catholic churches. For example, there was one in our town, and some counties didn't have any! The main churches were, Church of Christ, Baptist, and Methodist in that order. Our next town from us didn't have a Catholic Church.

I think those ideas that you are asking about are outdated and not an issue, at least to us. We felt completely at home and accepted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter