Questions about Maui

Now that you mention brewing companies...have you tried the Maui Brewing Company in Kihei? DH is intrigued and we think it's an easy walk from our resort, we thought we might grab our first night's dinner there.

Thanks again!

Maui Brewing Company is great, we really enjoyed both the beer and the food! Same for Kona, though I have only been to the original location on the Big Island.

Maui Brewing Company is great, we really enjoyed both the beer and the food! Same for Kona, though I have only been to the original location on the Big Island.
Adding this to my Maui restaurant list!! Seems like their beers are widely served on Maui; might as well try it right from the source! I’ll try to remember not to wear my Kona Brewing shirt that day tho 😝

I have a trip planned to Andaz Maui on Sept 11th. It was originally scheduled for April. I am really hoping that they open to tourists on 9/1 with a covid test. I spoke with the hotel and it seems there are a lot of cases on Oahu but not much at all in Maui. Keeping my fingers crossed...

I have a trip planned to Andaz Maui on Sept 11th. It was originally scheduled for April. I am really hoping that they open to tourists on 9/1 with a covid test. I spoke with the hotel and it seems there are a lot of cases on Oahu but not much at all in Maui. Keeping my fingers crossed...

I wouldn’t count on them lifting the 14 day quarantine by then. I have a friend going to visit her folks in Kailua soon, and she’s not going to be able to leave the house (which is fine by her, as she just wants to go home to spend time with them).

I hope it works out!

So assuming it pans out....what activities do you have planned on Maui?

Question for the locals or frequent Maui visitors...been watching the weather lately as we’re planning a trip for this same time of year (2022). Looks pretty hot and dry (which I knew) and the snorkel reports seem pretty consistent that the winds usually kick up on the afternoons. Of course you never know the weather until you get there, but a few things I’ll have to book in advance, so I’m planning around those. In general, seems like the best plan is usually morning snorkeling? Planning on some family portraits too, and I guess since DD and I both have a ton of hair, morning might be better for that too? And both kids (but especially DD) want to surf again—is morning tamer or is afternoon ok? Any thoughts on these or alternate ideas? Also planning to do a horseback ride but prob make that an afternoon. TIA!

The Rod to Hana is pretty much an all day thing if you stop along the way. Traffic is slow, and there are many one way bridges.

I agree. We were in Hawaii several years ago and thought driving to Hana would be something fun to do. The road is VERY narrow with a lot of twisting turns and limited visibility. Good to know if you enjoy that sort of thing (or not). Perhaps the locals know the roads better then we did, but found the drive annoying with people behind us constantly wanting to go faster then we thought it was safe to do. We pulled over a few times to check out the view. Eventually we gave up and decided it wasn't worth the bother, I don't recall how many miles the drive would be. With most of things on Hawaii, it depends more on what you like to do since everyone has different ideas of what they enjoy on vacation.

Lahaina was somewhat like other beachy type towns. If you like the shops and browsing might find that fun.

Also be sure to check the latest travel restrictions associated with covid19.

We loved the road to Hana. So much to stop and see on that route. That's the one must-do in Maui, imo. I'd hate doing it in a tour group because I'm not the group activity type. We drove ourselves in our rental car & it was fine. Don't be rushed- set aside a full day for it to avoid stress.

I can't imagine not doing the Road to Hana at least once - especially if you didn't actually get off and do any exploring. There so much off along the hiking trails but you need to know where to look. That's where a book like Maui Revealed helps - it tells you exactly where to stop, down to the mile marker.

I’ve been to Maui 4 times, 3 while we lived on Oahu, and honestly never had the desire to do the drive to Hana. Our friends (older) flew there and back, staying a night or two. I get carsick, and driving that long on vacation is too much work for me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!