Questions about extending :]

mickeyonasticky

DIS Veteran
I'm in WDW now for the Spring 2011 program. I'm scheduled to go home in mid-May. I've been thinking a lot about extending through the summer..

I just have some questions about extensions in general. When do the applications to extend typically go up? How soon before my scheduled departure date would I find out if I can stay or if I have to leave? And lastly, is there a typical departure date or week for the summer extensions? I'm just trying to see if it would be too late in the summer for my band camp, haha :]

Thanks for any answers to these questions, and any other information you might have about extending! :upsidedow

I'm in WDW now for the Spring 2011 program. I'm scheduled to go home in mid-May. I've been thinking a lot about extending through the summer..

I just have some questions about extensions in general. When do the applications to extend typically go up? How soon before my scheduled departure date would I find out if I can stay or if I have to leave? And lastly, is there a typical departure date or week for the summer extensions? I'm just trying to see if it would be too late in the summer for my band camp, haha :]

Thanks for any answers to these questions, and any other information you might have about extending! :upsidedow

I believe it's about a month or two before the end of the program that you'll receive an e-mail about applying to extend. I believe about 2 weeks later you can check the status of your extension application. I believe the extensions through the summer end early/mid August but I'm not positive. Also, be aware that only some roles are available for extensions. You may apply for one of those roles or to stay in your current role/location. If you want to try something new, definitely apply for it but be aware that typically you have a better chance of being offered an extension if you do apply to stay in your current role/location. Just some things to think about.

To give you some idea of time frames, for the fall program that had an end date in January, the application extensions went up November 6-13th. Most people received an email to extend but a lot didn't including my daughter. But she went to the application on the HUB and filled it out to extend. To be eiligible to extend, they could not have more than one reprimand and/or no more than five attendance notations within the last 6 months.(not including ER or ADO). Then they listed the roles that were available for extension and were asked to pick their top three choices. (if wanting to be a character performer, they must have attended one of the two end-of-season character audtions). You also have the option to extend in your current role.

I believe she found out around November 22nd that she had been granted her extension, and then they signed up for their housing around December 14th and moved to their new apartment around January 8th. I think everyone that extended had the same move date(someone correct me if this is not accurate), which was a few days before the first arrivals of the spring 2011 program.

Every one of her roommates that applied for the extension were granted the extension in the role of their first choice.

If I do apply to extend, I would definitely want to stay in my current role. It's indoors and air-conditioned! haha :]

I didn't know that if you extend you had to move.. If my roommate (the one I actually share a room with) and I both extend, can we do the roommate matching thing again to live together? Is there any way to request roommates or housing complexes? Or is it just totally random?

Thanks again!

If I do apply to extend, I would definitely want to stay in my current role. It's indoors and air-conditioned! haha :]

I didn't know that if you extend you had to move.. If my roommate (the one I actually share a room with) and I both extend, can we do the roommate matching thing again to live together? Is there any way to request roommates or housing complexes? Or is it just totally random?

Thanks again!

As far as I know, everyone has to move (again, if I am wrong someone please correct me). Three of the girls in the original room decided to stay together so when they went to get their housing assignment in December, they went together and were able to get assigned together in their new place (they went from Vista to Chatham). I don't think they had any problems at all doing this. They did not have to do any roommate matching or anything - and my daughter and her roommate from Vista, now share the same room in their new place as well.

I don't know much about how they assign the housing complexes, but they had no trouble getting into Chatham. I am guessing since they were extending and the new spring arrivals were not there yet, they pretty much got what they wanted - they sort of had first crack at locations since spring term did not arrive until January. Just a guess.

How long is the extension for? Ill be doing the Fall 2011, I leave January 6th but if I were to apply for an extension at the time they become available and if I were to be accepted then approximately when would I be done with the program? (I really have no idea if its a few weeks or several months... don't be afraid to over-explain it to me... lol)

How long is the extension for? Ill be doing the Fall 2011, I leave January 6th but if I were to apply for an extension at the time they become available and if I were to be accepted then approximately when would I be done with the program? (I really have no idea if its a few weeks or several months... don't be afraid to over-explain it to me... lol)

My daughter's fall program was September 1-January 14, 2010. Her extension is until May 13, 2011.

Extending is basically doing another season. So I believe it would extend until May of 2012.

I plan on doing the Spring 2012, and if my parents let me extend I will so do it. I want to stay at Disney as much as I can! :laughing:

When it's a extended in the summer, how long is the season. I know I would first have to find out when school starts again in the fall to make sure the DCP ends before. But has anyone done spring and then extended? How long was it?

Hey!

Does anyone know if in order to extend, you still have to be enrolled in a university at that time? I'm wondering because I might be graduating this summer before I get to my Fall 2011 program! I was really hoping to extend though if I'm allowed!

I plan on doing the Spring 2012, and if my parents let me extend I will so do it. I want to stay at Disney as much as I can! :laughing:

When it's a extended in the summer, how long is the season. I know I would first have to find out when school starts again in the fall to make sure the DCP ends before. But has anyone done spring and then extended? How long was it?

If you do just spring, and then extend, you can extend twice. Once would be May-Aug, and then could extend again Aug-Jan (so be on the CP up until 1 year).

Hey!

Does anyone know if in order to extend, you still have to be enrolled in a university at that time? I'm wondering because I might be graduating this summer before I get to my Fall 2011 program! I was really hoping to extend though if I'm allowed!

Nope. I extended my CP after I graduated

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if "Advantage" season CMs can try to extend?
I will be in the Fall Advantage this year and I didn't know if they viewed Advantage as already being sort of extended.

I realize I may be jumping the gun since I haven't even started my first CP yet, but I almost have the philosophy that if I'm taking a semester off of school, why not just take the whole year? Personally, I think coming back to school in the spring would be a hassle because the only way I would find an apartment would be a sublease or something complicated. Everyone just seems generally settled in by spring sem.

Also, if I were to try to extend, could I apply for a completely different role? The role I was accepted for isn't my dream one, so if I stayed, I'd really like to attempt to get my dream role.

TIA!

If you're doing advantage, you can extend, but only once, as that extension will put you at a full calender year in the college program(a year is the limit you can stay there as a cp at a time, but you can return to your school, do another semester, and reapply and then you can be there for another full year again(if your extension is accepted).

Also you can try to be put in another role, but like it was mentioned before, youre chances arent as high. Though in my case, the first time i extended, I didn't get put in my same location, because of some computer problems and them saying they had no record of me applying for an extension. It happened to a lot of people! the second time, i wasnt able to extend because they said there were no openings in the roles i put, including my own current location. I would say if you really dont want to be in your current location though, dont put it down, put other roles down.

Also its possible to stay in your same apartment. i was lucky enough to stay in mine through both programs. You just have to ask them when you go in to housing to sign up again if your apartment is open for it. we still had to get new keys because my original roommate was going home and my friend was going to be my new roommate.

Thanks for the reply.

Does anyone know why it is supposedly so difficult to get into another role for extension? I guess it sort of makes sense since technically you are extending your program, thus your role. But then the flip side of things just makes it seem like since it is a whole new semester/program, you could change things up a bit. New people are coming down for the start of their new program so how much could it possibly hurt to train an extension CM for something else?

This whole process is very interesting to me for some reason popcorn::

I don't know the for sure answer but I can tell you a very very likely one.

Money.

It cost more to re-train you for another role for those few days when you're not producing as much work as you would have been had they kept you on in your old role.

It's cheaper to keep you where you are.

*sigh*
haha if that's the case i'd rather just come back to school and then try for a whole separate CP and role later then.

*sigh*
haha if that's the case i'd rather just come back to school and then try for a whole separate CP and role later then.

Well you could always apply then decline. That's what I did, it's especially hard to transfer from QSFB since no one ever wants that role, I worked quick service and just applied for the heck of it even though I didn't plan on staying. When I got approved again for quick service I declined because
1. I wasn't planning on staying anway
2. My co-workers were mostly all leaving and they were what had made work even bearable
3. Without my co-workers or the promise of a fresh environment work at my location seemed far less appealing.

So apply for the hell of it, you just might get that role change :D

Exactly. I have QSFB assigned to me right now and I definitely don't want it. I'm trying to be a good sport and do it for this program, but I already know I'd never do it twice. I'd be willing to do almost any other role, although my dream that I really had my heart set on was Merchandise. Sounds corny, but every store at WDW feels like home to me and I love literally every piece of WDW merchandise. haha.

Anyway, thanks for the insightful info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter