Question for those who usually pack lunch - thoughts on dining?

MischaOz

DIS Veteran
SO my family typically has a tried and true formula. I know it's not for everyone but it's what works for us. We go to a park in the morning and I make our lunch (packed in a small soft cooler kept in the stroller). We go back to our off site rental late afternoon, have dinner at "home," then pop back to the parks for a few more hours. This saves money, but we mostly do it just because it suits our family. I've got picky eaters who get crabby when they're hungry, and this saves us from having to decide on a place to eat and wait in line. We are not ADR people as we just don't like to sit still for that long!

SO, the point of this story is that my daughter and I are taking a trip just the two of us for the first time, and it's throwing me off! We're flying (we usually drive) so I won't have my trusty cooler. We're also just going for a long weekend so I'm not even sure it's worth the trouble of going to the grocery store to get groceries with my daughter in tow.

Just wondering if anyone has made the switch from packing lunches to eating in the parks and how did it go for you? Did you like it, or did you wish you would have stuck with packing your meals?

Maybe this is apples and oranges. :P

But we used to pack when we went to other parks. Hershey, Six Flags and such.

But at Disney we have always used counter service or table.

It actually was very freeing. I didn't have to think about what to pack and I didn't have to keep track of the food.

I guess the only down side, other than cost, is that I don't know if I could ever go back.

For a long weekend, I would not bother with groceries and packing a lunch. Just eat at QS if you don't want to bother with ADR's and sit down's. Plenty of options. You could bring some snacks with you from home like granola bars, nuts, cookies, clementines etc. to have for snacks/breakfast.

For a long weekend, I would not bother with groceries and packing a lunch. Just eat at QS if you don't want to bother with ADR's and sit down's. Plenty of options. You could bring some snacks with you from home like granola bars, nuts, cookies, clementines etc. to have for snacks/breakfast.
Good point.

Even though I don't pack a lunch, I do generally pack snacks. Just a couple that will fit in my bag. Most of the time it is pretzels or cookies. Something, since I have to be gluten free, that is difficult to find in the park.

Bring refillable,water bottles and a few snacks that can fit in your purse. Lots of QS can be shared successfully. We pack mostly but sometimes we eat at the parks.

Good point.

Even though I don't pack a lunch, I do generally pack snacks. Just a couple that will fit in my bag. Most of the time it is pretzels or cookies. Something, since I have to be gluten free, that is difficult to find in the park.

Just to let you know, Disney has some new gluten-free options for snacks. They have a couple allergy-friendly brands, WOW and Enjoy Life, that are repackaged as part of the Snacks with Character line.

Just to let you know, Disney has some new gluten-free options for snacks. They have a couple allergy-friendly brands, WOW and Enjoy Life, that are repackaged as part of the Snacks with Character line.
Totally not a fan of Enjoy Life. I'd honestly rather not have anything.

Wow is okay. But they don't do pretzels.

I've been gluten free for over 10 years and we are DVC so we are there often enough to know what they have. Which is why I pack a few items. But thanks for the information. :thumbsup2

SO my family typically has a tried and true formula. I know it's not for everyone but it's what works for us. We go to a park in the morning and I make our lunch (packed in a small soft cooler kept in the stroller). We go back to our off site rental late afternoon, have dinner at "home," then pop back to the parks for a few more hours. This saves money, but we mostly do it just because it suits our family. I've got picky eaters who get crabby when they're hungry, and this saves us from having to decide on a place to eat and wait in line. We are not ADR people as we just don't like to sit still for that long!

SO, the point of this story is that my daughter and I are taking a trip just the two of us for the first time, and it's throwing me off! We're flying (we usually drive) so I won't have my trusty cooler. We're also just going for a long weekend so I'm not even sure it's worth the trouble of going to the grocery store to get groceries with my daughter in tow.

Just wondering if anyone has made the switch from packing lunches to eating in the parks and how did it go for you? Did you like it, or did you wish you would have stuck with packing your meals?

I haven't necessarily made the switch, but I've done both, and even on the same trip. Last year, we carried a cooler several days, rented a locker to store it in while we toured, and had our lunch in it. For supper we had either quick service, or an ADR. Other days, we didn't carry the cooler with us, and just had quick service for lunch. We've never left the park for supper, unless we were simply hopping from MK to the Poly for supper at 'Ohana. I don't mind sitting down for an hour or so to eat, but can't stand the thought of taking several hours out of the day that I paid for to drive back to our room / house for a meal.

Yes when I go alone I pack my lunches and breakfast and dinners I eat breakfast on the way out of the hotel room and eat the other meals in the park,

when I go with my parents I eat all the meals ( sometimes I will eat breakfast in the RV) but the rest of the meals we eat in the parks. I enjoy the change and the fact that Disney food is really good, if you are going during food and wine eat one meal at EPCOT if you are there, about 3 or 4 and you are full. and at the other parks I just do QS ( and if they have the preorder we do this sometimes, they are adding more and more too) this really saves you time in line and you can site down just as long as you like or take your food out side and find a place to site too.

We've never left the park for supper, unless we were simply hopping from MK to the Poly for supper at 'Ohana. I don't mind sitting down for an hour or so to eat, but can't stand the thought of taking several hours out of the day that I paid for to drive back to our room / house for a meal.

Yeah, like I said, it's not for everyone, it's just what works for us! We don't leave specifically for dinner, we just find that we do better with an afternoon break, esp since we have a young daughter (just turned 5). The late afternoon/early evening break gives us time to cool off in the pool, clean up and change clothes, rest a little and have dinner, then we're feeling fresh and rested and can hop to a different park in the evening.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I'm thinking this might be our opportunity to try out some more of the QS locations! No need to pack snacks tho, we usually fill up on Mickey bars and dole whips. :)

Yeah, like I said, it's not for everyone, it's just what works for us! We don't leave specifically for dinner, we just find that we do better with an afternoon break, esp since we have a young daughter (just turned 5). The late afternoon/early evening break gives us time to cool off in the pool, clean up and change clothes, rest a little and have dinner, then we're feeling fresh and rested and can hop to a different park in the evening.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I'm thinking this might be our opportunity to try out some more of the QS locations! No need to pack snacks tho, we usually fill up on Mickey bars and dole whips. :)

We tried the mid-day break approach . . nope lol.

As for QS . . . we have some favorites

MK Pecos Bills . . . love the toppings bar. Columbia Harbor House has fish and chips, shrimp, and my wife really likes the Lighthouse sandwich. Cosmic Rays, because they literally have pretty much everything there. I especially like the roasted chicken meal.

Epcot we like Sunshine Seasons in the Land pavilion, the Yorkshire County fish shop in UK, Lotus Blossom in China, and Katsura grill in Japan.

AK we like the Anandapur Local Markets, and Flametree BBQ

DHS . . good luck lol

Doing things differently is always a good thing. Last year was our first time taking lunch into the parks with us, and it was a pleasant experience. I'm sure you will discover some enjoyable quick service options, and have a great time.

I was just on the MDE app and thinking of bringing lunches for everyone the prices (sp) are double then what they are at home for the same thing
You are paying more because of the location. And unless you want to pack a lunch and carry it or push it around, you have to buy there. Of course you can always leave the park and return.

All food at parks are more expensive than you would normally pay.

Packing is one way to save money.

You are paying more because of the location. And unless you want to pack a lunch and carry it or push it around, you have to buy there. Of course you can always leave the park and return.

All food at parks are more expensive than you would normally pay.

Packing is one way to save money.

Good point dh and I we'll just eat the cost

I was just on the MDE app and thinking of bringing lunches for everyone the prices (sp) are double then what they are at home for the same thing

Disney portions are huge. Last November I would order 3 QS combos and that would easily feed myself, my wife and 3 kids (11, 6, 4). We would also probably throw away half to almost a full meal each time, they are a pretty good deal in this regard. Some places are better than others in this regard though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter