Question about Photo Op's... boarding the ship, at dinner, etc...

mommy2paris

DIS Veteran
I know that there will be plenty of photo op's while on the ship... I am a sucker for wanting to buy them all, but I am trying to stick to a tight budget. Do you know if they will take a few pics of our family with our own camera, when boarding the ship, with characters, at dinner etc??? I don't want to ask if it is "tacky" or rude. Is it okay to ask servers to take a family shot? TIA.

The professional photogs will not take photos with your camera. However, the character attendants, servers, etc. will be happy to do so. You are also welcome to take your own photos. It's also OK to take shots WITH your servers, etc.

You can buy a CD of the professional photos for $399 (OUCH). We take a lot on our own and buy very few.

You can also probably ask the family behind you to take a shot with your camera.

Some of the best pictures you'll take won't be in the places where the professional photographers are. In fact, the embarkation photo is one of the less magical ones, as it's just you and yours obliged to stand in front of a prop while you are chomping at the bit to get ON! The actual gangways just past the pro's embarkation set is way cooler, I think. JMHO. And there are so many other spots where I've never seen photographers (like the big red stack with the DCL logo and the colored sailing flags).

We have never had a problem during character photo sessions asking the character "keeper" (not the pro photographer) to take the very same picture. We buy only the best professional ones after we check our own pictures to see how they came out.

No matter how busy our dining room servers were, they always seemed to have time to take some quick pictures, and the servers at Palo were great at that, too. And it was fun taking pictures WITh them in i!

We also occasionally dragged the tripod up on decks 5 and 10 at night when hardly anyone was around to get some leaning on the rail/smooching/Love Boat style pictures.

To me, some of our very best and most beloved cruise pictures were the candids or totally unplanned...like the night we were waiting to get on the elevator leaving Palo in formal gear and the elevator door opened and in it was...Goofy in a tux! We got a great impromptu photo that's one of our favorites. Keep your camera with you all the time, and watch out for those non-Kodak Picture Spots!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter