Question about masks at Aulani

Never been to Aulani.

No, we won't mostly be outside. Our sons are autistic and we will spend an hour at the pool or beach per day max, and that's it. One son has sensory issues that prevent being outdoors (particularly at a beach) for long periods of time. We will spend a majority of time in our villa, but my husband and I wil spend time in the bar and gym and spa all the other indoor hotel spaces while our kids relax in the room.

We don't want to have to wear masks anywhere in the hotel, period. We will wait to go until that is the case.
My son and I are both autistic - I am sensory avoidant and he is sensory seeking - makes for fun times at home! :)

I would never dream of hanging out in any hotel lobby precisely because there is always so much going on. Aulani is no different - it’s pretty and then…too much. If your boys are sensory seeking it may be more to their liking.

Aulani is very different than any Disney hotel I have stayed at (we have three DVC contracts so we’ve been to most) in that many of the public areas are outdoors or incorporate a lot of outdoor space. And it’s not muggy like Florida/Disneyworld so you’re not desperate to get inside and breathe cool air.

My son and I are both autistic - I am sensory avoidant and he is sensory seeking - makes for fun times at home! :)

I would never dream of hanging out in any hotel lobby precisely because there is always so much going on. Aulani is no different - it’s pretty and then…too much. If your boys are sensory seeking it may be more to their liking.

Aulani is very different than any Disney hotel I have stayed at (we have three DVC contracts so we’ve been to most) in that many of the public areas are outdoors or incorporate a lot of outdoor space. And it’s not muggy like Florida/Disneyworld so you’re not desperate to get inside and breathe cool air.

The hanging out in the lobby is more a me and DH thing. If we aren't at the pool, the kids will be holed up in the room. One of the kids isn't really an outdoorsy type. He dislikes breezes, sun, bugs, etc.

Honestly it's just an annoyance thing that we don't want to deal with on vacation. I don't even want to have to wear masks on the plane for 5 hours, so until that's lifted, we won't be taking any long flights either.

The hanging out in the lobby is more a me and DH thing. If we aren't at the pool, the kids will be holed up in the room. One of the kids isn't really an outdoorsy type. He dislikes breezes, sun, bugs, etc.

Honestly it's just an annoyance thing that we don't want to deal with on vacation. I don't even want to have to wear masks on the plane for 5 hours, so until that's lifted, we won't be taking any long flights either.
Oh yeah - I’ve had to fly a couple of times with masks and when you factor in the airport time and flying time it’s many many hours in a mask. We’re flying to Hawaii from Toronto so planning on 12+ hours with short breaks for eating. After that, throwing on a mask to walk through the lobby is a piece of cake in comparison! 🤣

I cancelled our trip. I think I got a bit too gung ho when that offer was released. We will book ONLY after the resort had returned to full operation with no restrictions.

Extremely sad but the right call I think. Hard to justify going to AUL right now when there are many resorts across the world operating without restrictions.

I cancelled our trip. I think I got a bit too gung ho when that offer was released. We will book ONLY after the resort had returned to full operation with no restrictions.
I'm in a similar situation as you but made the opposite call because I think I'm more pessimistic about how things will shake out the next year or two. Our trip is in February, and my youngest turns 2 in March. I fully expect that the airline mask mandate will continue to be extended for the foreseeable future, so I want to make sure I take that flight while he's still exempt.

I don't even want to have to wear masks on the plane for 5 hours, so until that's lifted, we won't be taking any long flights either.
Regulations require you to wear a mask from the time you enter the terminal at your origin to the time you exit the terminal at your destination. So its more than just the flight time. But people do it all the time.

Regulations require you to wear a mask from the time you enter the terminal at your origin to the time you exit the terminal at your destination. So its more than just the flight time. But people do it all the time.

I am aware. I don't want to do it precisely for that reason. We'd be talking 9-10 hours of mask wearing. Not what we want on vacation. I don't care that people do it all the time. I am choosing NOT to do it by NOT booking this trip until I don't have to do it.

While it is a Hawaii rule, that doesn’t mean if Hawaii lifts that restriction that Aulani will. They are a private entity and can choose to continue to enforce masks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!