Question about masks at Aulani

DLgal

DIS Veteran
So, are the mask rules at Aulani a Hawaii rule, or a Disney rule?

We have spring break next year booked at Aulani, but really don't want to go if we have to wear masks at all while at Aulani. We are a fully vaccinated family and have no issues wearing masks in day to day life here where required, but don't want to be dealing with that on vacation.

If it's a Hawaii rule, I understand it and it seems a lot of these rules are set to go through November, but then might be relaxed? If it's a Disney rule, I guess it could continue well into next year. Just trying to figure out who to be following as far as this goes.

Hawaii rule, and I am doubtful they lift it in November.

https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel/while-in-hawaii/
Masks are required indoors and recommended any time you’re near others and have a hard time maintaining physical distance. Masks must be worn in compliance with county orders.

This also applies in restaurants:

Restaurants, bars, gyms and social establishments may have an indoor capacity of 50%. Masks must be worn at all times indoors except when you are eating and/or drinking.

They are looking at easing capacity restrictions in some venues, but I would expect the mask mandate to be the last thing lifted. They're much more likely to allow more capacity WITH masks.

Agree with the PP, that's what it is right now. While Hawaii is improving on its Covid stats, things may change by November, but I would't count on it.

Agree with the PP, that's what it is right now. While Hawaii is improving on its Covid stats, things may change by November, but I would't count on it.

I also suspect that if they ease on capacity constraints for Christmas, it will be conservatively - not 100%, not mask-optional.

Well, we aren't set to go until April. I just heard that the vaccine requirements in Hawaii are set to go through November, but may not be extended. Was wondering about masks and good to know it's a Hawaii rule, specifically.

This will likely be a one and done for us, so we'd really like to go once things are back to normal, or as close as possible to that.

Hawaii rule, and I am doubtful they lift it in November.

https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel/while-in-hawaii/

This also applies in restaurants:

They are looking at easing capacity restrictions in some venues, but I would expect the mask mandate to be the last thing lifted. They're much more likely to allow more capacity WITH masks.

Not so much concerned about restaurants. I just don't want to have to put a mask on every time we leave our room or walk back into the lobby from outside, or when using a restroom poolside. That's the kind of annoyance we don't want to deal with.

We stayed at the Grand Californian in July right when all masks and distancing rules went away, before Delta variant brought it all back, and it was GREAT. That's the kind of relaxed vacation vibe we want for Aulani.

Well, we aren't set to go until April. I just heard that the vaccine requirements in Hawaii are set to go through November, but may not be extended. Was wondering about masks and good to know it's a Hawaii rule, specifically.

This will likely be a one and done for us, so we'd really like to go once things are back to normal, or as close as possible to that.
Ige has been taking a very cautious path. I would expect the vaccine requirements to persist for some time, and I would expect the mask requirements to be among the last restrictions to be removed. The most likely next steps are expanding public gatherings and restaurant capacities, and based on approach to date I'd expect expansion to continue to carry masking requirements. Won't be increasing capacity AND loosening masking requirements.

If there is a relaxing of the vaccine requirements, it may be accepting some of the non-US vaccine administrations, to allow APAC visitors in. One of the AU airlines is scheduled to resume direct flights in December.

We were also at DL in early July, hard to imagine we got so lucky with our timing!

If things are refundable I'd just keep an eye on it as long as possible, I don't see the mask mandate disappearing until other things come back like dropping vaccination requirements and opening more things up.

Ige has been taking a very cautious path. I would expect the vaccine requirements to persist for some time, and I would expect the mask requirements to be among the last restrictions to be removed. The most likely next steps are expanding public gatherings and restaurant capacities, and based on approach to date I'd expect expansion to continue to carry masking requirements. Won't be increasing capacity AND loosening masking requirements.

If there is a relaxing of the vaccine requirements, it may be accepting some of the non-US vaccine administrations, to allow APAC visitors in. One of the AU airlines is scheduled to resume direct flights in December.

I don't have any problems with vaccine requirements. We are all set there and have no problem showing our cards when needed. We are getting close to that point here at home as well. It's becoming a requirement in nearby cities and it's probably just a matter of time before it becomes widespread. The thing here, though, is that where vaccines are required for entry, masks are NOT. That's kind of the whole reason for requiring the vaccines.

We were also at DL in early July, hard to imagine we got so lucky with our timing!

If things are refundable I'd just keep an eye on it as long as possible, I don't see the mask mandate disappearing until other things come back like dropping vaccination requirements and opening more things up.

Yeah, we just booked a room only direct through Disney using the 25% discount offer and can cancel up to 5 days prior. We haven't bought airfare or even told our kids yet because we want to wait and see what happens with Covid.

I don't have any problems with vaccine requirements. We are all set there and have no problem showing our cards when needed. We are getting close to that point here at home as well. It's becoming a requirement in nearby cities and it's probably just a matter of time before it becomes widespread. The thing here, though, is that where vaccines are required for entry, masks are NOT. That's kind of the whole reason for requiring the vaccines.

Which jives until the vaccinated started passing Delta... then back came the masks.

Honestly, I’d count on masks still being required indoors and plan accordingly. This isn’t going away soon, and Hawaii is being very cautious. I’m going to Ko Olina in a couple days, and have no issues wearing them leaving our villa and indoors (we’re at the Marriott). It is what it is, and we planned this long ago. We’re fully vaccinated, so can eat out with showing our card (I’m actually 3X with compromised immune system; my doctor made sure I got 3rd shot before trip). If it‘s a dealbreaker for you, you might want to do something else and wait on Hawaii.

I was there in Sept. We only had to wear masks while indoors. It really was no big deal

It's only a big deal for us in the actual hotel. We are the type to spend a lot of time at the hotel, hang out in the lobby and other public spaces. My husband and kids have to wear masks at school and work and they just don't want to spend their vacation in masks so often. That's all. We can wait and go later if masks are still required next spring.

It's only a big deal for us in the actual hotel. We are the type to spend a lot of time at the hotel, hang out in the lobby and other public spaces. My husband and kids have to wear masks at school and work and they just don't want to spend their vacation in masks so often. That's all. We can wait and go later if masks are still required next spring.
Sorry, can’t remember if you said you’d done Aulani before or not. I generally like hanging around the Disney resort lobby areas also, but spent very little time doing that at Aulani. While the lobby is beautiful, it’s more centralized—not as many little nooks and crannies to hang out in, like at WL or the Poly. We did pretty much all of our hanging out outside. So yeah, sounds like you’ll need a mask to shop, stroll around to look at the art, and find a few menehune, but mostly I think you’ll be outside. 👍

Sorry, can’t remember if you said you’d done Aulani before or not. I generally like hanging around the Disney resort lobby areas also, but spent very little time doing that at Aulani. While the lobby is beautiful, it’s more centralized—not as many little nooks and crannies to hang out in, like at WL or the Poly. We did pretty much all of our hanging out outside. So yeah, sounds like you’ll need a mask to shop, stroll around to look at the art, and find a few menehune, but mostly I think you’ll be outside. 👍

Never been to Aulani.

No, we won't mostly be outside. Our sons are autistic and we will spend an hour at the pool or beach per day max, and that's it. One son has sensory issues that prevent being outdoors (particularly at a beach) for long periods of time. We will spend a majority of time in our villa, but my husband and I wil spend time in the bar and gym and spa all the other indoor hotel spaces while our kids relax in the room.

We don't want to have to wear masks anywhere in the hotel, period. We will wait to go until that is the case.

Never been to Aulani.

No, we won't mostly be outside. Our sons are autistic and we will spend an hour at the pool or beach per day max, and that's it. One son has sensory issues that prevent being outdoors (particularly at a beach) for long periods of time. We will spend a majority of time in our villa, but my husband and I wil spend time in the bar and gym and spa all the other indoor hotel spaces while our kids relax in the room.

We don't want to have to wear masks anywhere in the hotel, period. We will wait to go until that is the case.
Ah, I understand. I misunderstood what you meant about indoor spaces—thought you meant like lounging areas. The big deck off the lobby is a great outdoor lounge spot and overlook, and we found it pretty quiet and uncrowded, just FYI. And lots of windy paths to just wander outside away from crowds, too. But yeah, I understand not wanting to mask in those other places, for sure. Definitely keep planning and reading all the great info here in trip reports. It’s a beautiful resort and you’ll love it once you’re finally able to get there!!

and I wil spend time in the bar and gym and spa all the other indoor hotel spaces while our kids relax in the room.

and a reminder that the gym is currently closed (!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter