question about 2 home resorts and using points

tarheellovesdisney

Earning My Ears
I apologize if this is a silly question. I am still learning the ins & outs of DVC. I want to be well informed before making any decisions.

For example, if someone has 25 pts at BWV and 100 pts at SSR, with the same UY, in the system Disney would consider that 125 pts? So the person could use all those points at BWV to book at 11 mo? Does that make sense? I like the idea of having 2 home resorts but would want to make sure I had enough points between them to book what we wanted.

Nope, you can only use the points you own at a particular resort at 11 months. At 7 months you can borrow from other resorts that are in the same use year to make a reservation.

Thanks sounded too good to be true. So we would want enough points at each resort to get us the nights we want?
Yes. If you think about it, everyone would try to do what you originally asked about (have a small contract at the resort they want and a bunch of points elsewhere). This would lead to a significant imbalance and cause all the popular resorts to book up at 11 months.

Yes. We have points at three places (RR, BCV, Poly) and we bank and borrow. So we can stay one year at Poly with 3 years of points, then the next year at RR with three years of points and finally the third year at BCV with three years of points. We repeat the cycle, and it works out great because we can book at the 11-month window and 97% of the time we get exactly what we want. The key is to have the same UY to make things easier to navigate.

Yes. We have points at three places (RR, BCV, Poly) and we bank and borrow. So we can stay one year at Poly with 3 years of points, then the next year at RR with three years of points and finally the third year at BCV with three years of points. We repeat the cycle, and it works out great because we can book at the 11-month window and 97% of the time we get exactly what we want. The key is to have the same UY to make things easier to navigate.
Can you explain to me how this works? I know you can bank unused points before the 8 mo mark and borrow from the following year. All the numbers make my head spin sometimes so it helps to hear specific details. Thanks!

So we have 100 points at Poly, in 2023 we banked our points in 2024 we stay at Poly using 100 points from 2023 + 100 points from 2024+ 100 points borrowed from 2025, giving us 300 points for the stay in 2024. In 2024 we bank our RR points.
In 2025 we stay at RR with 300 points. We get those points form the banked 100 from 2024, 100 points from 2025 and we borrow 100 points from 2026. Also, in 2025 we bank our BCV points.
Finally, in 2026 we stay at BCV with 300 points, and we bank our Poly points.
The cycle continues until 2042 when the BCV pints will expire. We are blessed that we were able to buy points years ago and put money aside every month for the annual dues and annual passes. Hope this helps.

So we have 100 points at Poly, in 2023 we banked our points in 2024 we stay at Poly using 100 points from 2023 + 100 points from 2024+ 100 points borrowed from 2025, giving us 300 points for the stay in 2024. In 2024 we bank our RR points.
In 2025 we stay at RR with 300 points. We get those points form the banked 100 from 2024, 100 points from 2025 and we borrow 100 points from 2026. Also, in 2025 we bank our BCV points.
Finally, in 2026 we stay at BCV with 300 points, and we bank our Poly points.
The cycle continues until 2042 when the BCV pints will expire. We are blessed that we were able to buy points years ago and put money aside every month for the annual dues and annual passes. Hope this helps.

Except, what did you do with the 100 points at RR from 2023 and the 100 points at BCV in 2023? Rent them out? Use them for additional time during the 7-month window to combine with the poly?

2023 BCV points would have been used in 2023 along with banked 2022 and borrowed 2024 points
2023 RIV points would have been borrowed into 2022 for that stay

I was using this as an example for how we maximize our points. Back when we started using DVC in the mid 90s, we realized the need to set up the cycle and did, adding on points as we saved up the money. I think we just used up the points in that year, and once on the cycle it is easy. We only rented points out once, while it was easy using a service and it offset the annual maintenance fee, but we found it a little nerve racking hoping that nothing would go wrong with the renters. If the time comes when we fall off the cycle or we can't use the points in a year we have family members a some select co-workers that we will give the points to so they can enjoy a Disney vacation.

facebook twitter