Quarantine and chill and kindness chatty clubhouse: Jump in and join the conversation! All is welcome!

Good morning and happy Saturday:grouphug:

Dad and I have gotten out our Nativity set. He's currently affixing a little sheep onto a small piece of cardboard to better support it. I will share a picture when we have it all up later. Always fills my heart withe extra thanks, joy, and wonder to just unpack everything. Still trying to find a much smaller second Nativity to place in here (living room) beside our eventual small potted Christmas tree and table lamp. Thank you all so much for all of your suggestions and help with this. I will post a picture of what we end up deciding on.

Wishing everyone a great day ahead. I will check back later.

It sounds like everyone is getting ready to decorate for the holidays. Have fun.

I had a good time at the Museum of Science with Kenny and the grandkids. Ethan has a sensitivity to noise so he did not want to see the electricity show with the Faraday cage at the museum. He and I looked at some trains while Kenny and Owen went to the show. It is one of my favorite shows there but I wanted to be sure Ethan was taken care of. I was proud of myself for not crying. Chris and I went to the museum while dating, prekids, with the kids, and as empty nesters. The Nasa space capsule was his favorite. He loved anything to do with the early space program through Apollo. I took pictures of Kenny and the kids in it. I felt like Chris was with us while there. We had a nice lunch at the museum and then went to a nearby playground which was only about a 5 minute walk from the museum. By the time Kenny dropped me off it was mid afternoon. It was nice to be with family and have some fun. I did cry when I got back to the condo as I always do after being with family and then I am alone again. Not sure how much of it is the condo and how much is being alone. It is probably a bit of both.

I will probably watch some Hallmark movies tonight. I tried to watch the one, Royal Corgi Christmas or something like that. I figured how could you go wrong with a corgi. The corgi was adorable but one of the main characters, the prince, was so atrocious acting that I could not get past that. I am not sure if the actor was supposed to act like a conceited moron or if it was the actor making it that way. Someone else may watch it and think it is good so not saying to not watch it. I could be too critical. I prefer lighter, more good hearted movies. There is a new one tonight that may be more fun and good spirited.

Have a good evening.

@Snowysmom Whether or not you believe it, you are getting stronger all the time. You are able to do things you used to do with Chris, and not fall totally apart. We are proud of you!

I passed on the Royal Corgi one,,didn't look like something I was interested in

I started decorating, but decided to shake myself up and start with the master bedroom instead of the bathrooms. I put up the burgendy curtains, put the red blanket on the bed, topped by my Christmas quilt, and folded up a red and green plaid fleece blanket at the bottom, for those really cold nights. I dusted, washed the windows, and then vacuumed. One room done, 6 to go, but at least I got it started

Making homemade pizza's on naan garlic bread with a salad. I don't want to get turkeyed out too soon, lol

Have a nice evening

Hi all.

Decided I'm turkeyed out; so froze the rest of the meat. (already used the bones yesterday to make stock, and it's already in the freezer). Ordered Panera for dinner; I got the Mediterranean sandwich, on pepper focaccia, with extra cucumbers, red onion, tomatoes; DH got their chicken sandwich, added pickled red onion; and DS got the grilled cheese and chocolate chip muffies. I have salad stuff, so we'll just make it here, instead of ordering one.
Noticed there are a lot of the Hallmark type Christmas movies on Peacock, Paramount plus, Hulu and Netflix, if anyone is looking for a streaming service with them. (Saw them listed and thought of y'all).
Nothing else new, lol. Have a good night

Amen to what Lynn said, Snowysmom!:grouphug: I could not agree more. From across the country, I sincerely feel your courageously kind spirit growing stronger each day. You are such a lovely lady, my friend. So glad that all of you had a good time at the museum. I would have stayed with Ethan, too. Loud noise especially constant just does not work well with TMJ. I tend to skip all the royal Hallmark movies, just not interested. Glad the corgi was cute. I am smiling to remember reading about Trixie the Pekingese (I thought he was a corgi until I just Googled) in the James Herriot books years ago. I should reread them all sometime, such love-filled animal tales.

Enjoy your 🍕dear Lynn:hug:I would love to see a picture of your Christmas quilt, sounds very pretty and festive, too. As always your energy to household cleaning and chores amazes me! still say that you and B&B ought to team up and go into business together!

B&B:hug:Chocolate chip muffins sound very tasty! I'm not much into cupcakes anymore, too heavy. A simpler muffin version definitely would be something I would enjoy trying.

Dad and I did set up our Nativity this morning. Here it is. I wanted Mary and Joseph together this time as in real life I know they were very much beside each other at their Son's birth. As I shared earlier just unpacking everything and getting it out truly means a lot to me because He is Everything to me.

Have a good rest of the day, my friends.

Attachments

• Nativity 2022.jpg
    Nativity 2022.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Good evening everyone, I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday.
I've been mostly chilling out, haven't felt 110% and so didn't do much yesterday or today. Got my turkey cooked down yesterday, and the stock in the freezer, with some reserved for dinner (turkey & dumplings) tomorrow night. Got my Christmas decorations, or most of them, down and did a bit of decorating today, will finish tomorrow. I'm keeping it low - or lower - key this year and not putting everything out. Sometimes less is more and I'm in the mood this year. Put some simple white lights on the front of the porch. We'll put the giant wreath up on the house in the next week or so when we get around to it.
Our Thanksgiving was good, I used cheesecloth on the turkey for the first time and it made a real difference. We brine as well, usually for a day & a half give or take, I think that helps a lot as well. I need to do something with the remainder of the ham still, I'll probably freeze it for future use. I will probably make ham & potato casserole with lots of cheese & onions, I usually make it once or twice a year, it's kinda heavy but real comfort dish, too.
I'm out of town Tuesday -Thursday in NC for work, we've got some projects starting down there that will last years so I think it will become a regular 2 or so times per month trip for me.
Welp, I want to get a few things done around here before I call it a night! Have a great evening everyone.

I had to go right into work after Thanksgiving, so been busy with that. Had some nice patients, but very sick. Couldn’t help feeling a little sad after just counting my blessings for Thanksgiving. (Prayers are always needed for the sick.) Two were about as far contrasted to eachother as you could get in life circumstances, which really makes you think (essentially that health crises can happen whether you’re wealthy or indigent, it all boils down to the same thing, ie humanity). Also worked with some new people who were really nice. A lot of us have dogs so that was a big topic of conversation while we ate. I am very impressed with the knowledge that new nurses have coming out of college today (and even better when they work in the field before they graduate). Just sharing that in case anyone questions whether they’re prepared if they’re young. (DD has actually had patients ask her if she knows what she’s doing! She enjoys showing them she does.)

DH got the outside decorated today, saying he enjoyed it. Tomorrow we’ll put out a few things in the house, but we’re going to keep our decorating simple this year.

I forgot to mention the other night, DS decided recently he wanted to get back into baseball. He played through college, but his senior season (and school year) ended abruptly in March of 2020. He was in contact with some of his old coaches this fall, not sure if that’s what they impetus was, but he decided to apply to an adult league. He got calls from three coaches in one day, including from the top team who scheduled a try out for that night. He was excited to go and spent two hours in horrible traffic getting to the place. But he was back in form and wound up striking out all the batters he faced. :lmao: Coach said right away he made the team, lol. But I think he’s going to keep looking because the ride was too long. It was good to see him happy about it again, though, and it will be fun to go to games again if he finds a team he likes. I never thought that would happen. It’s nice that they have adult leagues for those who want to keep playing. I remember having a patient once who still played well into his 60s. Tonight I resent an ancient pic to DS from the 1930s that I came across today that is of a baseball team (ironically from the same city team for which he tried out the other night) that had my father, my two uncles and my grandfather in it to remind him of where his baseball roots came from. 🥰

@Snowysmom Whether or not you believe it, you are getting stronger all the time. You are able to do things you used to do with Chris, and not fall totally apart. We are proud of you!
Very well said, Lynn, and I agree!
I am smiling to remember reading about Trixie the Pekingese (I thought he was a corgi until I just Googled) in the James Herriot books years ago. I should reread them all sometime, such love-filled animal tales.
Tricky Woo! That was my favorite book series growing up, and we’ve been enjoying the new All Creatures Great and Small on PBS for the past few seasons. Such a good show. If you can get it, you and your Dad might really enjoy it.

Enjoy the rest of the evening, everyone! 🐥

:hug:Easys and low key is a good thing especially with all the traveling you do. Please be safe out there always my friend. Glad you had a good Thanksgiving.

:hug:Pea, always and forever, my sincere gratitude to you for all the faithful, compassionate, and, of course, very skilled care you provide so very many. Please thank your DD from me, as well. Prayers for all of your patients indeed. Good for you son! When I lived in small town Northern, CA both for college and later as a preschool/school-age director and teacher, I wish I had taken the time to go to an adult league baseball game. I did from the small parking lot see some games over the years briefly. I've never been good at baseball or any sports but when I was much younger did enjoy trying to play anyway. An elderly friend from church Shirley has shared that years ago the church had a softball team. Would be fun to participate in some way on a church team in the future. Tricki Woo was a great character! Thank you for the recommendation, too :)

Sweet Dreams with love to all, always.

Good evening everyone, I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday.
I've been mostly chilling out, haven't felt 110% and so didn't do much yesterday or today. Got my turkey cooked down yesterday, and the stock in the freezer, with some reserved for dinner (turkey & dumplings) tomorrow night. Got my Christmas decorations, or most of them, down and did a bit of decorating today, will finish tomorrow. I'm keeping it low - or lower - key this year and not putting everything out. Sometimes less is more and I'm in the mood this year. Put some simple white lights on the front of the porch. We'll put the giant wreath up on the house in the next week or so when we get around to it.
Our Thanksgiving was good, I used cheesecloth on the turkey for the first time and it made a real difference. We brine as well, usually for a day & a half give or take, I think that helps a lot as well. I need to do something with the remainder of the ham still, I'll probably freeze it for future use. I will probably make ham & potato casserole with lots of cheese & onions, I usually make it once or twice a year, it's kinda heavy but real comfort dish, too.
I'm out of town Tuesday -Thursday in NC for work, we've got some projects starting down there that will last years so I think it will become a regular 2 or so times per month trip for me.
Welp, I want to get a few things done around here before I call it a night! Have a great evening everyone.

Ham - thanks for the reminder! I picked up a hambone at the honeybaked ham store and I want to make the pea soup today. Mine will be doctored up with some potatoes added in. I have to run out and get the split peas. Need to go now before everybody in town wakes up.

Given up on catching up!

Spent yesterday mostly with DD and the 2 grands. She was supposed to spend the afternoon with her brother and family but canceled after the plane ride just in case, because of baby at brother's house. I will hold off a visit til next week, essentially for the same reason, close proximity to a lot of people.

Meanwhile yesterday morning I thought I had a cold. Woke up with many sneezes and a running nose. Used up half a box of kleenex over the course of an hour or more. Finally got my shower and headed out, and once in the car, sneezing stopped and nose stopped running. So, I'm thinking I was suffering from an allergic reaction to something. Don't know what but sudden onset and sudden cessation indicate allergy and I do have multiple triggers.

I figure the filtered air in the car plus shower and clothing change helped abate the problem. At the moment I was in fear of something covid related as I haven't had it at all, despite doing a bit of traveling. I'm still careful to mask in close quarters (most of the time) but didn't at TG dinner. Anyway, I seem right as rain this morning to add in another cliche phrase.

Hope all have a great Sunday!

@flyingdumbo127 The Nativity looks really nice.

@easyas123 Safe travels.

@PollyannaMom Nothing like the scratchy sound of vinyl records.

@footballmouse How is Mia doing?

@Pea-n-Me Thank you for caring for so many sick patients and giving them such compassionate care. It is good to know the younger nurses are well educated. I love the Pekingese on your post. They are such little dust mops when they walk.

Lynn, Your bedroom decorations sound lovely especially the quilt.

@dazedx3. How is the baby doing? When is your DD getting married? I know you are busy right now with wedding prep.

Thank you for your kind words about getting stronger. Truly, I do not feel it at all. I cry alot and miss Chris like crazy. This holiday season is tougher than last because I was so busy last year and living with Kenny and family. Now I am alone and not as busy. It hits home this year. I always loved to find a special gift for Chris and would start in the early Fall to scout around for something that would surprise him that he would truly like. I also loved putting together a stocking for him with treats he liked and little gifts. I miss that. I also miss opening the gifts he would get me. We would do a scouting trip to Target to look at books. He would write down the titles of books I wanted and then he would pick out a couple on his own. I so miss all this. I am not decorating the condo this year. I have a few holiday items out but that is it. I bought a small artificial tree just in case I changed my mind but I doubt I will. I will enjoy the decorations at the kids' houses. Next year if I am settled some place else I will think about decorating.

Have a good Sunday.

Hi! Thanksgiving fun is behind, and I’m prepping for colonoscopy tomorrow, at 11:45 no less. :(

I am still tired, Tom and I came home from Dollywood with colds, not Covid, and we are almost better. We had 12 for Thanksgiving, including 4 female Coast Guard recruits. These ranged in age from 18 to 31, and were the most wonderful guests we have ever hosted. We connected. They wanted to help, and I had to smile and repeat the rule…
  • Please do not assign chores to recruits, aside from cleaning up their own plate (e.g., no peeling potatoes, vacuuming, or raking leaves); this is their day off.
They would laugh, and try to help, but we just smiled.

They were aged 18-31, and three are married. Two had children, and both of those were married to Coasties. One said her hubby prepared her well for the physical challenges of basic training, and the other was completely unaware of what would be required. Another one has spent 8 weeks recovering from a hip injury, and was just put back in a group to complete the training. She was the 19 year old, and because she has been in the program so long, she seemed to be the leader in helping the others talk through the verbal information they need to learn and would be tested on yesterday. The fourth, the 18 year old, is from Puerto Rico where she spoke Spanish almost exclusively. She had spent two months in a school in TX, on an Army base where all the Armed Forces send recruits who need English as a second language training.

We have had female recruits before, and once we had two that were on crutches also because of hip injuries. They had been injured during an exercise program, but this year’s recruit was carrying something heavy when her injury happened.

I can’t post names or pictures of the recruits. I can tell you that we almost completely did The Bear House puzzle that has been a family tradition we have had in our family since the 1980’s when my sons were small. After the girls and I went on to do something else, my Houston family went to finish the puzzle. It’s not a Christmas puzzle, more a fanciful idea of how bears hibernate! We all enjoy working on it, and imagining what’s going on!
1669556626277.jpeg

At 7:30, we had to say goodbye, and Tom drove them around town to see the Christmas lights. Some of us had misty eyes saying goodnight. We received this text from one parent.

Good evening. Our daughter SR … shared your number with me. I wanted to take a moment and say how appreciative we are of you opening your home to her and the other coast guard recruits. She shared how kind you were and that you reminded her of her grandma and papa. Words can never say how amazing you made her day. We will always be grateful of your kindness. God Bless.
….

My reply

It was absolutely our pleasure to meet and host …. and the other recruits. There were tears in some eyes as we said goodnight on Thanksgiving. You can be so proud of your daughter. We would be for sure.
God bless you, too, and your whole family.
Bobbi and Tom Wozniak

Our Houston son and his wife have been here two or three times when we have hosted recruits. Greg came to me afterwards and said that he and his wife talked about it and Mimi would love to continue to do this if they ever decided to retire to Cape May. (This would be a long way off, but it touched me to just think of the tradition carrying on.)

Another thing I will share is that in Dayton, I was a volunteer in Miami Valley Literacy Council where I tutored Vladimir from Moldavia who needed training in English as a second language. He’s a grandfather now, and he called me to see how we were doing and to share his holiday experiences with me. I was so happy to hear from him.

Last edited:
Good rainy Sunday morning. Still mild, will be 60, but wet all day. @PollyannaMom wow did that picture bring back memories. I don't know anyone who even has a cassette player anymore, never mind an old Christmas tape from so long ago. That's really cool!

I too have decided to go simpler with decorating this year. I usually do my kitchen from top to bottom, but with the new floor going down this week, I've decided to just put a lot less in there.

@easyas123 and @Judique --hope you are both feeling better.
@Pea-n-Me Thank you for your continued dedicated care to your patients. You are making a difference in their lives~~

My Sister in law texted me last night (the one who lost her husband in June), all excited. She thinks she's found the vehicle she wants,,right now she's driving an old handicapped van that was her mother in laws. They were in Morgantown, and saw a Hyundai dealer, and found a truck they want. 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe. She's just hoping that it's not a special order for someone, since so many dealers around here have very little stock on their lots. I hope she gets it, with all the driving back and forth to the hospital and Dr appts they go to

Summer is still miserable. She says those stents feel like a UTI, only 10 x worse. I don't know about that, because I have never had one.

Off to clean the bathrooms and just put up the Christmas towels, and rugs, and a few window decorations.

Have a nice morning all

OIP.jpg

Just a quick pop in.
Sale prices on tv channels

HBO max $1.99 a month for 3 months.
Peacock .99 a month for a year
Hulu $1.99 a month for a year
Starz $5 a month for 3 months
Showtime $3.99 a month for 6 months.
Discovery+ .99 a month for 3 months
Paramount+ $24.99 for essential plan, $49.99 for premium ad free for a year (50%)
Amazon Prime Video channels (including A&E, AMC+, Epix, LIfetime, and more) $1.99 a month per channel for 2 months

Hi! Thanksgiving fun is behind, and I’m prepping for colonoscopy tomorrow, at 11:45 no less. :(

I am still tired, Tom and I came home from Dollywood with colds, not Covid, and we are almost better. We had 12 for Thanksgiving, including 4 female Coast Guard recruits. These ranged in age from 18 to 31, and were the most wonderful guests we have ever hosted. We connected. They wanted to help, and I had to smile and repeat the rule…
  • Please do not assign chores to recruits, aside from cleaning up their own plate (e.g., no peeling potatoes, vacuuming, or raking leaves); this is their day off.
They would laugh, and try to help, but we just smiled.

They were aged 18-31, and three are married. Two had children, and both of those were married to Coasties. One said her hubby prepared her well for the physical challenges of basic training, and the other was completely unaware of what would be required. Another one has spent 8 weeks recovering from a hip injury, and was just put back in a group to complete the training. She was the 19 year old, and because she has been in the program so long, she seemed to be the leader in helping the others talk through the verbal information they need to learn and would be tested on yesterday. The fourth, the 18 year old, is from Puerto Rico where she spoke Spanish almost exclusively. She had spent two months in a school in TX, on an Army base where all the Armed Forces send recruits who need English as a second language training.

We have had female recruits before, and once we had two that were on crutches also because of hip injuries. They had been injured during an exercise program, but this year’s recruit was carrying something heavy when her injury happened.

I can’t post names or pictures of the recruits. I can tell you that we almost completely did The Bear House puzzle that has been a family tradition we have had in our family since the 1980’s when my sons were small. After the girls and I went on to do something else, my Houston family went to finish the puzzle. It’s not a Christmas puzzle, more a fanciful idea of how bears hibernate! We all enjoy working on it, and imagining what’s going on!
View attachment 721582

At 7:30, we had to say goodbye, and Tom drove them around town to see the Christmas lights. Some of us had misty eyes saying goodnight. We received this text from one parent.

Good evening. Our daughter SR … shared your number with me. I wanted to take a moment and say how appreciative we are of you opening your home to her and the other coast guard recruits. She shared how kind you were and that you reminded her of her grandma and papa. Words can never say how amazing you made her day. We will always be grateful of your kindness. God Bless.
….

My reply

It was absolutely our pleasure to meet and host …. and the other recruits. There were tears in some eyes as we said goodnight on Thanksgiving. You can be so proud of your daughter. We would be for sure.
God bless you, too, and your whole family.
Bobbi and Tom Wozniak

Our Houston son and his wife have been here two or three times when we have hosted recruits. Greg came to me afterwards and said that he and his wife talked about it and Mimi would love to continue to do this if they ever decided to retire to Cape May. (This would be a long way off, but it touched me to just think of the tradition carrying on.)

Another thing I will share is that in Dayton, I was a volunteer in Miami Valley Literacy Council where I tutored Vladimir from Moldavia who needed training in English as a second language. He’s a grandfather now, and he called me to see how we were doing and to share his holiday experiences with me. I was so happy to hear from him.
I am so glad you posted this! I was going to ask! Sounds like a really beautiful day for all. So nice of you! :goodvibes

@bobbiwoz Thank you for sharing your some of your Thanksgiving Day memories with us. That is so kind of you to do, and sounds like it was appreciated by all. What a lovely text that Mother sent you.
I love that puzzle, it's very unique!
Glad you and Tom are feeling well. Good luck with the colonoscopy tomorrow. The prep is the worst part of it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter