QSDP vs. gift cards

the QSDP is not the best value.
Most of the dining plans are not a great savings especially when you have kids who are now disney adults. You are best to buy discount disney gift cards - sams club often have them, target with using the target red card is a great option.

If you need to justify the cost to your husband then just do out the numbers with a sample of where you might eat and what you might order paying with the discount GC. Compare to the cost of the dining plan. You do get the mugs with the dining plan but unless you are planning on a lot of time at the resort you won't get much value out of them.

Has anyone ever taken gift cards and loaded them onto your spending account
You don't load them on your "account", you can just use the GC which is super easy or you can charge to the room and then just go to the desk each night to pay your balance. I rather just use the GC at the restaurants because i don't want to waste the time at the end of the night to pay at the desk.

We have actually found the dining plan to be more restrictive at times. You walk up to get a snack but a certain item you want is not a disney dining snack - so you have to choose something else. That usually doesn't happen too often because they do have a lot on the plan.

It is generally a convenience aspect vs a savings. WDW banks on people paying for the plan and not using all their credits.

When we were leaving to head home during our Nov trip there was a woman in the Jambo gift shop loading up on all these candies and snacks because her family was on the dining plan, but many in the party were hit with a stomach bug so she had around 40 credits to use up because they were leaving. You paid for the plan in this situation so you feel you have to use all your credits.

I personally prefer the dining plan. We come out "ahead" on the total cost of the food, but probably not on the total cost of what we would order if we didn't have the dining plan. I think that's probably true of the majority of people. Personally, it's a mental thing for me. I wouldn't ever treat myself to the treats, drinks, and meals I do when we use the dining plan. I would cringe at the cost each time my kids wanted something. The dining plan takes that out of the vacation equation for me. I pay for our plan using discounted Disney gift cards (Target, Sams, etc.) well before we go. It's just part of the "budgeted cost" for me like flights, hotel, car, etc. Then when we go, I have gift cards or rewards for the estimated tips.

We have a trip coming up over spring break and we're staying at Wyndham Bonnet Creek. (We're owners.) We have two TS meals planned, and I'm already dreading the bill. When we use the dining plan, I've figured the dining in as part of the cost of the trip and so it's more of a package price in my head. :) Does that make logical sense? Nope. Does it work for me? Yes.

Either way, I hope you enjoy your trip!

I have to be honest, I'm really looking forward to having the DP this trip. I never go out to eat at home and I make up for it on vacation. Not having to think about the cost OOP this trip is going to be so much fun. I'm going through all the menus and snack lists like a kid in a candy shop.

I personally prefer the dining plan. We come out "ahead" on the total cost of the food, but probably not on the total cost of what we would order if we didn't have the dining plan. I think that's probably true of the majority of people. Personally, it's a mental thing for me. I wouldn't ever treat myself to the treats, drinks, and meals I do when we use the dining plan. I would cringe at the cost each time my kids wanted something. The dining plan takes that out of the vacation equation for me. I pay for our plan using discounted Disney gift cards (Target, Sams, etc.) well before we go. It's just part of the "budgeted cost" for me like flights, hotel, car, etc. Then when we go, I have gift cards or rewards for the estimated tips.

We have a trip coming up over spring break and we're staying at Wyndham Bonnet Creek. (We're owners.) We have two TS meals planned, and I'm already dreading the bill. When we use the dining plan, I've figured the dining in as part of the cost of the trip and so it's more of a package price in my head. :) Does that make logical sense? Nope. Does it work for me? Yes.

I look at the total cost as a package as well. For my family the "losers" would probably be park tickets. We buy tix for the entire stay, and will often add hoppers, however none of us wants to spend all day in the parks. We are in and out daily, but never more than a ew hours at a time, so those commando tourers would probably cringe at how we waste money dawdling at the resort or dining. Once I know how much each componant of the trip costs at full cost, I use those figures to determine the best discount, and after that I never look at individual costs again. It is "the trip."

I also do not share the individual costs with my husband. He gets the total bill, and I then divide it "per person per day" because this is how we measure vacation costs. He likes to keep a vacation to $200 per person per day, including lodging and food. If I can find awesome lodging, tickets or entertainment and dining at that cost we are golden!

This is the way I think, too haha! Okay, questions.... What is the discounted Disney gift cards all about? I don't currently have a Target red card, nor do we belong to Sam's Club. I do have a Costco membership. Can I get them at Costco? Anywhere else? How does it work/what do you mean by discount gift card?

My DH and I are taking a trip to WDW soon and are not doing the DDP this time since we only have 2 days in the parks out of our 6-night stay on property. I was starting to wonder about getting Disney gift cards each time I went to the grocery store (ie. $25 each time) to make it seem less painful to pay for meals while we're there...lol. BUT that would be lots of gift cards with small amounts on each and I haven't figured out how that will actually work while we're there. I'm also wanting to save up for our NEXT trip the following year (we have never gone two years in a row...yikes!) to celebrate our daughter's grad school graduation. We will be doing a DDP for that trip but since it'll be such an expensive trip, I would love to start squirreling away money/gift cards to help pay for the DDP. Is it possible to put Disney gift cards (probably lots of them w/ small amounts on each) towards the total cost of a package w/ DDP?

Basically, any tips in this whole gift card topic will help. Thank you!

Last edited:
This is the way I think, too haha! Okay, questions.... What is the discounted Disney gift cards all about? I don't currently have a Target red card, nor do we belong to Sam's Club. I do have a Costco membership. Can I get them at Costco? Anywhere else? How does it work/what do you mean by discount gift card?

My DH and I are taking a trip to WDW soon and are not doing the DDP this time since we only have 2 days in the parks out of our 6-night stay on property. I was starting to wonder about getting Disney gift cards each time I went to the grocery store (ie. $25 each time) to make it seem less painful to pay for meals while we're there...lol. BUT that would be lots of gift cards with small amounts on each and I haven't figured out how that will actually work while we're there. I'm also wanting to save up for our NEXT trip the following year (we have never gone two years in a row...yikes!) to celebrate our daughter's grad school graduation. We will be doing a DDP for that trip but since it'll be such an expensive trip, I would love to start squirreling away money/gift cards to help pay for the DDP. Is it possible to put Disney gift cards (probably lots of them w/ small amounts on each) towards the total cost of a package w/ DDP?

There is a great thread on the budget board about the gift cards. Basically if you buy your gift cards with a target red card you can save 5% and Sams club does discounted gift cards in store and online. Costco does not do discounted gift cards. I bought enough cards at Sams last year to pay for our trip and our spending money and saved quite a bit of money. I plan on doing the same for this year. You can use them online to pay your trip.

I’ve usually used my Target red card to buy my Disney Gift cards online (straight 5% savings), but this year I’m experimenting with a Dosh and credit card cash back. There is a great thread on gift cards on the Budget Board here on the Dis. I use The My Disney Gift Card website to put all of my gift cards into one (max $1000 at a time per gift card). Then it’s easier to read off if I’m paying over the phone. Otherwise, I pay online on disney’s Website. (Sorry-I’m on my phone, and the capitalization is being wonky...)

I always figure 5% is my minimum savings. This summer we have a trip that will be $3000 that I need to pay Disney. It’s worth $150 in savings to me to spend an hour or so utilizing gift cards to save.

You don’t have to do the dining plan to save this way. I accidentally threw away my Dis Visa redemption card at the Magic Kingdom and had to call to have it deactivated and a new card sent to me. I’m pretty notorious for misplacing my cards and wallet. I don’t want to carry a gift card with a large amount of money on it around with me at the park. To each his own though!

Quick tip for everyone. Target has had e-gift Disney cards in the past. If I need more money on my trip, I quickly place a target order and send myself the gift card. It’s fast and easy. I save $5 each time. Every little but helps!

Great tips! Thanks! I didn't even know there was a budget board, but I'll check into it! From what I just read, it sounds like there is a way to combine several gift cards onto one... then, that one can be used to pay the big bill.? Thanks!

I was starting to wonder about getting Disney gift cards each time I went to the grocery store (ie. $25 each time) to make it seem less painful to pay for meals while we're there...lol. BUT that would be lots of gift cards with small amounts on each and I haven't figured out how that will actually work while we're there....Is it possible to put Disney gift cards (probably lots of them w/ small amounts on each) towards the total cost of a package w/ DDP?

If you go to disneygiftcard.com you can upload a gift card and combine the full amount onto another card. Each card can hold up to $1000 each. Once it's transferred, you can delete the empty one from the website (and throw the physical one away). The site can hold 5 cards so you can keep track of the amounts, but you can delete them from the site and the physical card will still contain the money.

I like to buy the cute ones from the site first, upload them and label them with a description of the card. Then buy the $25/$50 at the grocery store, target, etc., upload them, transfer them to the cute card, and delete the store bought one.

You can also buy e-gift cards which you will receive almost instantly through email and the balance can also be transferred onto the physical cards.

Note: You must transfer the full amount of the card. No splitting it between two cards. And if you used a card toward your trip (and yes you can use it for the trip w DDP) or something else that may be refunded/changed at some point, keep the physical card. The money will be refunded onto that card only.

~Cari~ pluto:

Last edited:

You sound just like me. I know I would have a heart attack when I got a bill for almost $100 for the 2 of us to eat breakfast at Chef Mickey's, but when I think of it as "included" in our vacation package I don't sweat it.

We don’t necessarily choose the dining plan to save money - it’s more about convenience and not having to worry about money for us. Although a gift card technically “pays” for the meals, you’re still thinking about the cost of each meal, and for us, that takes away a little from our trip. It’s so nice to not have to think about money or carting around cash/ credit cards/ gift cards.

If you go to disneygiftcard.com you can upload a gift card and combine the full amount onto another card. Each card can hold up to $500 each. Once it's transferred, you can delete the empty one from the website (and throw the physical one away). The site can hold 5 cards so you can keep track of the amounts, but you can delete them from the site and the physical card will still contain the money.

I like to buy the cute ones from the site first, upload them and label them with a description of the card. Then buy the $25/$50 at the grocery store, target, etc., upload them, transfer them to the cute card, and delete the store bought one.

You can also buy e-gift cards which you will receive almost instantly through email and the balance can also be transferred onto the physical cards.

Note: You must transfer the full amount of the card. No splitting it between two cards. And if you used a card toward your trip (and yes you can use it for the trip w DDP) or something else that may be refunded/changed at some point, keep the physical card. The money will be refunded onto that card only.

~Cari~ pluto:

Thank you for this post! You explained it beautifully!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter