Put down your phone and be in the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fortunately my husband did not hear the remark. I shudder to think what would have happened.

Seriously. Regardless of what other people do at the parks, if it doesn't have a direct negative impact on your own experience, it's none of anyone else's business. Worry about yourselves and move along. Good lord.
This is a great point, and actually REALLY hard. :) Take the phones on dark rides scenario--I sometimes catch myself steaming over someone recording the ride, because if I move a certain way, I can see their dumb phone screen. But in order to see it, I have to move that way. If they are no kidding in my or my kids' line of sight, it's absolutely appropriate to ask them to move their technology. But otherwise, it's just me being an idiot and wasting energy being annoyed with someone who's enjoying their vacation in their own way and shouldn't impact me at all.
So, I find the "feeling sorry" for people who get caught up in technology a waste of energy. Some people may well be missing out on experiences by doing that....but so are (genera) you by judging them. And I suppose, so am I for judging you for judging them. ;)

Having read the original post again, I can see how some may see it as being judgmental in itself.
Sorry if I offended anyone.

I see and hear a lot of stuff that I think is wrong, but in my old age I've learned when to keep my mouth shut.
Case in point:
The last time we were at DL, my daughter was 6 months pregnant with twins and very big. We rented a wheelchair for her.
While trying to get out one night after the fireworks, a CM walked in front of her and helped us get through the crowd. A teenager walked around us and said, "Who comes to Disneyland that pregnant?" I had to bite my tongue to keep from saying, "Who comes to Disneyland that ugly?" That would have been mean, I know, but she really hurt my daughter's feelings.

I wish all of us lovely times at Disneyland.

I don't understand how that question hurt her feelings. It's a question many wonder after a certain point in pregnancy. Some even ask it of themselves. I hated going almost anywhere at a certain point. I was weirdly big (I'm short and DS was about 2 feet long when he arrived, plus he turned out to be posterior so I never had the beachball belly but rather the all around the sides belly) and I hated going out. When I see really pregnant women out anywhere that I would have felt was unnecessary I both think it looks really uncomfortable AND think its nice that they still have the energy to get out (I was passing out by 8pm just 1.5 weeks post-conception and I never really woke up until DS was 4months old). I doubt I would say it, but teens aren't known for their tact and ARE known for questioning the whole world. It's what they do.

I just don't comprehend letting a teen into your head enough to have it hurt feelings or to have the rather ugly and NOT equivalent response you had in your head. I truly don't get it.

The cellphone thing doesn't bug me. I've had enough *one moment in my family's life* moments that I try to just assume that other families are having the same sort of moment. I might have a tantrum for a minute. I don't have tantrums the whole trip. I might take a brain break and look at my phone. It doesn't mean I'm on the phone and missing everything all day every day. It's better for my life to assume that it's the same for everyone.

Would just like to show another aspect to the 'tech V in-the-moment' discussion.

When we visit, we are doing so from the other side of the world. Our family and friends are only awake in the 'in park' time and when we are waiting in line, this is a great time to touch base with loved ones to just set our minds at ease that all is well back home. For instance, my son and his GF are currently in the parks on their first trip OS, and because they do not have internet while in another country on their cell, they are still awake at 2am on the hotel wifi to share the joy of their trip. How much better would it be if they could just do so on their phone in the 'down times'.

When my ( young adult) DD and I are in the parks in two weeks time, because we have arranged cell access this time, we will unashamedly be using the 'down time' in lines and having meals to check wait times, check in with family back home and all the little things that can add so much more to our vacation. Rest assured, we are 'in the moment' from the second we go through the turnstiles.

Another view as well, when my nephew who has autism is in crowded places, the tech distractions have proven to be KEY to his whole family enjoying their time and because he doesn't look 'disabled' he could easily be judged by others unaware of their situation.

The same could be said for avid photographers ( of which I am definitely one) who tend to see the parks through a lens as much as with the naked eye. This recording of my trip is a key component of a 'great vacation' and makes it magic for me.

I hope we all continue to enjoy the parks in the way that makes it magic for each of us, without the need to be seen to be doing it the 'right' way.

Admittedly I'm not the best person to speak about this, since I use my phone quite liberally. But I don't make any excuses - I'm a fiddler. I click pens during lectures, or crack my knuckles, or tap on desks and chairs. So if I have a few moments down time while at a bus stop or waiting for coffee to be made, I'll see what's new on Twitter or Reddit, and see if I have any emails. It's that or stare at my cuticles, so I'll take the slightly more mentally stimulating option. Sometimes I just flick through my home screens to give my hands something to do.

But this entire thread does seem like a "get off my lawn" exercise. There are times when phone usage is unacceptable - Metallica threw a $5 show in Vancouver so they could film extra footage for their most recent DVD. The whole point was to have people in the crowd for the camera folks to capture, and the group in front of me watched the whole thing through their low-end Blackberries.

Or sometimes you hear text message tones on dark rides, which breaks the suspension of disbelief, or the people talking on the phone while being served, or those that take up an entire walkway to throw their elbows out while typing. But that's clearly because these people lack empathy and social skills, not because they own a phone.

And if I am in the park, chances are I'm going to be around my girlfriend for up to or over a week straight, with little communication with other people; so we run out of things to talk about while stuck in line for RSR or Space Mountain. So I'll find a picture of a kitten to 'aww' at or spark a conversation. Or talk to a family member to let them know I'm doing well. Being stuck in line is the only time one can catch up on what's going on in life when you're busy from 7am to midnight running around in the heat.

The most annoying experiences I've had in the park have had nothing to do with phones - camera flashes, poorly parked strollers, the guy who kept yelling 'boo' randomly on Pirates, people who randomly stop dead while walking. If you see someone being inconsiderate, phone or no, call them out on it, or contact a cast member if you can't resolve it yourself. And otherwise let people live their lives as they see fit - if you pass judgment over how someone chooses to spend their time, don't be surprised if they pass judgment on how you spend yours, or how you look, or how you're getting involved in someone else's affairs.

When I went to Disneyland last summer, on my first morning in the park, I texted my mom and sister to let them know I was in line for Peter Pan. The rest of the 3 days I was there they'd occasionally text me to see what ride I was in line for. But I wasn't "attached" to my phone the way OP was describing.

Personally, I kind of wish that these phones had been around when I was a kid. My dad making the occasional call and checking his email regularly while in the park with us would have beat him having to spend half a day finding somewhere he could receive and send faxes and make phone calls to deal with something that came up at work.

Sometimes these people are on their phones in the park so they can spend some time with family. Some jobs don't just go on hold while people are on vacation.

The most annoying experiences I've had in the park have had nothing to do with phones - camera flashes, poorly parked strollers, the guy who kept yelling 'boo' randomly on Pirates, people who randomly stop dead while walking. If you see someone being inconsiderate, phone or no, call them out on it, or contact a cast member if you can't resolve it yourself. And otherwise let people live their lives as they see fit - if you pass judgment over how someone chooses to spend their time, don't be surprised if they pass judgment on how you spend yours, or how you look, or how you're getting involved in someone else's affairs.
Agree with this 1000000%. The people stopping dead in their tracks is what bugs me the most. I see it everywhere too. DL is so crowded that everyone walks close together. So when someone just stops, people behind them may not always be able to stop right away. If you need to stop, walk to the edge of the walk way and look around first.

Personally, I kind of wish that these phones had been around when I was a kid. My dad making the occasional call and checking his email regularly while in the park with us would have beat him having to spend half a day finding somewhere he could receive and send faxes and make phone calls to deal with something that came up at work.

Sometimes these people are on their phones in the park so they can spend some time with family. Some jobs don't just go on hold while people are on vacation.
This is very true. Smart phones have given people more time to spend with their families. Sure sometimes its distracted time, but at least they are their with them. I have a friend who HATES disney or any other theme park sort of place. He is also very anti social, much rather sit in his house all day everyday than go anywhere. However his wife and kids love it, so they occasionally go to DW. Having his phone has given him something to do while waiting in lines he hates surrounded around a bunch of random strangers that he hates.

I don't understand how that question hurt her feelings. .....

I just don't comprehend letting a teen into your head enough to have it hurt feelings or to have the rather ugly and NOT equivalent response you had in your head. I truly don't get it.

Christmas morning, I'm 30 and single (having a tough breakup a few months previous), after opening presents my 6 year old niece said to me:
"Why don't you have a girlfriend? Doesn't anybody love you?"

Sigh. Perfectly good question that a 6 year old would ask, but a very hurtful/tactless question someone older would ask.

It hurt, yes, but it was also 'funny/adorable' at the same time. It's one of those life questions, should you scold the 6 year old for asking a hurtful question, or understand that their mind functions differently, and ignore what they actually said and understand what they meant to say? Was the question meant to hurt, or was the question just curious? In this case, I understood the question was just to be curious (a 6 year old thinks at a certain age everyone gets married, and this situation I was in confused her).

Nothing a cell phone user can do is worse than those who use flash photography on POTC!!

I am guilty of doing this :guilty:. However I truly had no idea I wasn't supposed to until after I took a couple pictures, DH whispered that there was apparently a sign before we got on that said it. I completly missed that. Opps :confused3. I didn't take anymore after that.

I am guilty of doing this :guilty:. However I truly had no idea I wasn't supposed to until after I took a couple pictures, DH whispered that there was apparently a sign before we got on that said it. I completly missed that. Opps :confused3. I didn't take anymore after that.

Usually the person at the launch will also say "No flash photography." Sometimes not though.

It's the people that know not to do it and do it anyway that gets me mad.

Agree with this 1000000%. The people stopping dead in their tracks is what bugs me the most. I see it everywhere too. DL is so crowded that everyone walks close together. So when someone just stops, people behind them may not always be able to stop right away. If you need to stop, walk to the edge of the walk way and look around first.

Since others are on the topic, to this I will add...

1. Groups of people that feel they have to stop and meet in front of the door to a restroom, ride or restaurant - blocking the way and forcing you to say "excuse me" to make your way through. Puuulease, move your group to the side before you stop and conference.

2. Angle walkers - these are people that you are trying to pass and as you do so they change direction but are still going forward. Eventually you decide to slow down and pass them on the opposite side while still behind them. At which point they decide they need to adjust their angle to the opposite direction and move in front of you again. Puuulease, walk in a straight line an not in randomly changing directions in a crowd.

3. FP holders who decide to wait for their return window to open right in front of the FP return line entrance and block the way.

:wizard:

Since others are on the topic, to this I will add... 1. Groups of people that feel they have to stop and meet in front of the door to a restroom, ride or restaurant - blocking the way and forcing you to say "excuse me" to make your way through. Puuulease, move your group to the side before you stop and conference. 2. Angle walkers - these are people that you are trying to pass and as you do so they change direction but are still going forward. Eventually you decide to slow down and pass them on the opposite side while still behind them. At which point they decide they need to adjust their angle to the opposite direction and move in front of you again. Puuulease, walk in a straight line an not in randomly changing directions in a crowd. 3. FP holders who decide to wait for their return window to open right in front of the FP return line entrance and block the way. :wizard:

Yes, on all accounts.

Having small children, we travel with a stroller; often times a double. I try very hard to leave enough space so that I don't bump the heels of the people in front of me. But the zigzaggers make it so hard. I think I can get by on one side, only to have them zigzag right in front of me/into me. I can't stop on a dime! I always love when they're oblivious anybody was next to them and look up (usually from reading a map) in total shock that I'm there. Same thing goes for the people who stop mid-walkway. It's hard to get around them with the stroller, so then I end up blocking the walkway until I can find a safe opening or they start moving again!

OK I'll jump in...
I wish that folks that wear backpacks would remember that they are in a crowd and try not to whack people with their backpacks.
And some of the packs are huge! I have to wonder what in the world they are carrying.

OK I'll jump in...
I wish that folks that wear backpacks would remember that they are in a crowd and try not to whack people with their backpacks.
And some of the packs are huge! I have to wonder what in the world they are carrying.

Yes!!! And the giant purses. They turn around and dont take the size of their bag into account and hit people. Even outside of DL I get hit with these all the time. I see people come to work with carry on size luggage. I wonder if they bring that much to work, how much do they bring on a weekend vacation :confused:.

I disagree. It's a park, not a one way street. People are going in all kinds of directions. Am I really supposed to move to the side (What side?) to stop and do whatever I was stopping to do? I guess this could depend on when/where you were walking....but really?

Gunka - yes, if you are walking down the middle of Main Street and feel the need to look at a map to figure out where you're going, move over the curb/sidewalk. Don't stop in the middle to figure it out. Anywhere that there is a flow of traffic (and yes DL often does have traffic flow similar to a freeway), you should move out of the flow if you need to stop for some reason.

DisneyJamieCA said:
Gunka - yes, if you are walking down the middle of Main Street and feel the need to look at a map to figure out where you're going, move over the curb/sidewalk. Don't stop in the middle to figure it out. Anywhere that there is a flow of traffic (and yes DL often does have traffic flow similar to a freeway), you should move out of the flow if you need to stop for some reason.

Yes yes yes!!! It's infuriating to be walking at a decent pace down Main St and have someone just stop in front of you. It's similar to just stopping your car in morning traffic. It's obviously going to cause problems for those behind you, but it what does that matter if you can get your water bottle out or look at your map?

Yes yes yes!!! It's infuriating to be walking at a decent pace down Main St and have someone just stop in front of you. It's similar to just stopping your car in morning traffic. It's obviously going to cause problems for those behind you, but it what does that matter if you can get your water bottle out or look at your map?

Infuriating? Wow! Can I remind you of some of your own comments on this thread:

"I've never taken my precious Disneyland time to sit around a judge the choices others make for their family. I don't care what you eat, how you entertain yourself in line, or how you get to or around the parks"

"If expressing the feelings can have positive change then that's great, but usually, its people complaining that the actions of others are affecting their good time, and that's on them. As long as folks are loud and rude directly to you (nit a particular you, just a person in general), why do you care how they pass their time?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter