Put down your phone and be in the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

YukonMommy

DIS Veteran
We just spent an amazing 2 week vacay at Disneyland. But I felt so sad every time I saw people with their faces stuck to their phones instead of looking around, being in the moment or GASP...talking to the people they came with!! Some sad examples was a Dad with his daughter on the teacups and he was on his phone while she looked sad/bored. Another time we watched a boy ahead of us playing on the ropes be told by a cast member to stop, he continued and fell off on his back hitting is head, the Mom didn't even bother to look up from her phone but dug in her bad and handed him a lollipop and told him to hush :sad1:. In lines parents/kids were texting, playing games, etc instead of being with each other.:confused3

I don't get it. I like my phone and its convenient, but I love my family and time/life is short. Yes I brought my phone on vacay and checked it every night for messages..but it stayed at the hotel!

So please put away your phones, if you must check for line times do it quickly and then put it away. Talk to your kids, play games together, hold hands and talk with your partner, be in the moment. Take it in, you can't get it back.:love:

We just spent an amazing 2 week vacay at Disneyland. But I felt so sad every time I saw people with their faces stuck to their phones instead of looking around, being in the moment or GASP...talking to the people they came with!! Some sad examples was a Dad with his daughter on the teacups and he was on his phone while she looked sad/bored. Another time we watched a boy ahead of us playing on the ropes be told by a cast member to stop, he continued and fell off on his back hitting is head, the Mom didn't even bother to look up from her phone but dug in her bad and handed him a lollipop and told him to hush :sad1:. In lines parents/kids were texting, playing games, etc instead of being with each other.:confused3

I don't get it. I like my phone and its convenient, but I love my family and time/life is short. Yes I brought my phone on vacay and checked it every night for messages..but it stayed at the hotel!

So please put away your phones, if you must check for line times do it quickly and then put it away. Talk to your kids, play games together, hold hands and talk with your partner, be in the moment. Take it in, you can't get it back.:love:

:thumbsup2 Sounds like excellent advice.

I couldn't agree more. Parents are always on their phones not paying any attention to their kids and the way they are behaving. On another thread I shared our experience of being at rope drop for RSR and the guy who was on his phone the entire time from drop to the ride and got irritated with people who got in front of him but behind his family because he wasn't paying attention.

That's just sad. I can't understand what could be so important that you give up moments with your family. Why spend all that money, just stay home!

This is one of the reasons I am unhappy with FP+/magic bands. You have no choice but to be on your phone getting the fast passes, ADR, etc.

My phone stayed with me this week in DL, but for the most part was in my pocket; we each kept ours in case we got separated, and to post random pictures on FB (kind of, "haha we're here and you're not...LOOK AT THIS CHICKEN! LOOK AT IT!!! ;) )

But yeah, I saw *so* many people with their faces mashed to their phones. Kids included. Dood, your 5 year old just saw Goofy dance *right by him* and didn't even get to wave because you had one hand grabbing his and half-dragging, and the other clutched to your digital lifeline.

I absolutely agree! The only time I use my phone in the parks is if I'm separated from my family. If I get a call from someone who is not on the trip with us, I hit the ignore button and call them back when I'm in the room. The only exception would be if a family member called over and over again...they'd only do this if there was an emergency.

Life is very short, and I will never sacrifice time with family and friends to bury myself in technology!

This is one of the reasons I am unhappy with FP+/magic bands. You have no choice but to be on your phone getting the fast passes, ADR, etc.

My thoughts exactly!!!!!!

I always find it very sad when I'm ANYWHERE and look around and all I see are faces thisclose to phones. But it's one thing to see everyone on a crowded train on their phones and a whole 'nother to see so many people on phones at Disney parks where everything down to the trash cans are themed! I definitely check my emails and texts while I'm there, but infrequently. It's too magical to just zone out. Why go!!

I agree. I about wanted to vomit when I read a quote from Tom Staggs saying they heard their public saying they wanted to interact more with their technology in the parks. BLEH!

They clearly didn't ask me. ;)

I totally agree!

(I do carry mine on me in case we split up at the parks and to take pictures - otherwise, it's away).

I agree with OP, but I would note that most DLR guests are locals who've been there many, many times. So while I think it's important to make sure you kid doesn't fall on his head (that's really amazing that you saw that, how awful!), I also understand why some people might tune out while they're in line. It's still special for locals to be there. But I think it's a more muted, mellow special, as opposed to the heightened sense of specialness those of us who only get to vacation there every few years feel.

I agree with seizing the moment but keep in mind people, including parents, use their phones for a lot of good reasons. When I'm at Disney I usually take a Facebook free vacation, stay off message boards, and I don't play games online ever. However I still use my phone in the park frequently to check FP times, view my touring plan, text my DH who may be off somewhere else, check a menu, etc. All of this adds to my experience, and there's plenty of time still to soak in the moment and my kids get plenty of attention throughout the week.

I'm sure there are some people who waste all their vacation texting friends at home but it's not everyone. I don't like the implication that every time someone pulls out their phone they are judged as non-immersed visitor or bad parent. You really can't tell that from seeing someone for a few minutes.

Why Do I have my phone out? I'm checking my email because I've left 4 children and a husband at home. I need to check on homework, make sure things are going ok and attend to duties that come up from church I'm in charge of. Usually they can be handled in few minutes when I have down time such as standing in line. I'm busy in the morning reading

I sent that on accident

...but I'm busy in the morning reading to my kids, getting them dressed, doing their hair, feeding them breakfast. I've looked up each detail but I can't be carefree on vacation without checking in with my other kids and making sure everyone's needs are met. I am a wife first a mom second and on vacation when I know everyone is ok.

add me to the list of why on earth would I be on the phone and guess what you can do with your magic band? :rolleyes:

that last thing I want to do there is plug in. that is what time out of the parks is for.
I am not referring to those who have to check on someone. I am talking about the narcissist obnoxious all about them folks who never get off the thing.
for a good laugh, watch the uber self absorbed get their phone wrecked/dropped/drowned/lost in that place. they will be the ones who will share everything, and nobody want to hear it.

now THAT is entertainment.

;)

I only pulled out the phone to take pics (if not using my camera, so I could send Grandparents a quick pic) or to check time.

I did take laptop last time too so I could upload pics and all that stuff at night.

Not this trip..laptop stays home. Evenings in hotel will be for relaxing only. Pictures can wait.

Phone, yes I'll take it again. But it'll come out for the same reasons as last time.

Yeah... I'm one of those people who use their phones. And honestly, I don't care that you judge me. I'm an AP, I go alone on day trips most of the time, and I have to check email and social media regularly for my job (part of being in the social media field). There's only so much you can look at while waiting for the Nemo subs for 30 minutes, so I might as well get some work done. Doesn't mean I'm not soaking in the magic or taking in the theming.

Just because people appreciate Disneyland differently doesn't mean that they appreciate it less - even if it appears to you that they're disrespecting the park by instagramming and snap chatting all the cool things they see.

My family and I only use our phones to take pictires in the park. Vacations are family time and so there's no reason to be on our phones. However I have to say that I really appreciate everyone who is on their phone in the parks contributing to the mousewait app. I live so far away so while I'm at home I often look to see what pictures people have posted, or how long the line is for dole whips just for fun. Its one way I get my daily disney fix without physically being in the parks. So thankyou to all who contribute!

I have a different experience to add to this. While I can understand using a phone in some lines, or when sitting/standing off to the side(I do it)....why are people texting/browsing while walking?!

While at DL I have had people walk right into me while staring at their phones. After my trip in 2010, where I kept moving out of their way, I stopped moving for them. Now, when they run into ME, I get dirty or surprised looks.

Instead of feeling mad at these people, I just pity them. They honestly don't know what they are missing. And it isn't my job to tell them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter