Purchasing DVC for Solo Travel?

have2getaway

DIS Veteran
Just curious if anyone has bought DVC points with the intent of solo or “Mom’s getaway type trips? DH is not as into Disney as I am. He enjoys it, but just isn’t as obsessed. Anyway, it occurred to me that I can’t be the only person who views Disney almost like a hobby, and would love to be able to make it a getaway, perhaps with other Disney fans, which wouldn’t warrant buying as many points for a stay.

Very common to have parties of one travel as DVC Members. In my opinion, the best reason to become a DVC Member is to save money and have the best accommodations. The flexibility of a points based ownership program allows you to travel based on villa size and only use the number of points needed for that particular reservation. The larger the villa to more points that would be needed for the reservation. Hope this helps.

I would definitely go to DW as a single. We own DVC for many years and both my husband and I have used it by ourselves or with friends. Just factor in your future plans when you buy points. Even alone we never get less than a one bedroom for the kitchen and laundry. And if you wznt to invite friends a one bedroom is a must. I find the studios very confining and way too small. The one bedrooms at AK and BL have two bathrooms which is ideal for bringing friends.

Have owned for many years and frequently go solo. Never gave it a second thought. Love the ability to enjoy staying at wonderful resorts and taking things at my own pace. Do what I want, when I want, where I want lol

Disney and DVC are definitely my happy place ☺️

Sometime I invite friends, but mostly I use my DVC solo, it's not easy to find people as obsesse... ehm interested in Disney as me. :)
It's a great way to enjoy deluxe resorts without paying cash rates "just" for one person.

I just purchased pts (today actually, yeah!) at BLT for that very purpose - solo travelling. I like the idea of being able to walk to Magic Kingdom!!

I bought 3 DVC contracts as a solo - before I met my now DH. I liked going to Disney. For several years I took care of aged parents so Disney was my escape hatch.

Just curious if anyone has bought DVC points with the intent of solo or “Mom’s getaway type trips? DH is not as into Disney as I am. He enjoys it, but just isn’t as obsessed. Anyway, it occurred to me that I can’t be the only person who views Disney almost like a hobby, and would love to be able to make it a getaway, perhaps with other Disney fans, which wouldn’t warrant buying as many points for a stay.

Yes, that's exactly what we did, although our initial purchase was for both of us. However, later I stayed solo at BCV and found it perfect for my solo trips. Just like you, I have a DH who likes Disney, but isn't obsessed with it like I am. So more than half of my trips are solo trips, and I love to stay at BCV. I even have a little separate checking account, and the dues for the BCV points come from that account. They're "my" points.
And although the kids are grown now, when they were younger, it was accepted family knowledge that at least once a year Mom needed a "Mom's getaway trip-Mom's mental health rejuvenation trip." DH takes one too-only he calls it a golf trip!

I have used my DVC Membership on several "Solo" getaways and it is a wonderful way to relax and get away for a few days...or what ever you need : )

I think DVC is a great way to enjoy deluxe accommodation at affordable rates and meet like minded Disneyphiles. No reason to hold back if you can comfortably afford it.

As a solo traveller you'll likely be booking studios, which is the most in demand room category. I recommend studying this thread (thanks @skier_pete and @Bing Showei ) in detail when you are considering which home resort/UY to purchase:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/p...-studios-1-bedrooms-june-2018-update.3689931/

The best UY is usually just before when you're most likely to travel. But in special cases like VGF, if you want studios for early December, a Sep/Oct UY will allow much easier walking (which I've read is what many have to do to secure a studio in that time period. Haven't tried myself). Good luck!

I bought DVC when I was single -- it was fun for friend trips. And maybe one of these days I'll even do a solo trip! Maybe when my DH gets tired of me dragging him down there to WDW! I say go for it.

Just realize you will be in a smallish minority if you are solo, or having a friend trip.

Yes, that's exactly what we did, although our initial purchase was for both of us. However, later I stayed solo at BCV and found it perfect for my solo trips. Just like you, I have a DH who likes Disney, but isn't obsessed with it like I am. So more than half of my trips are solo trips, and I love to stay at BCV. I even have a little separate checking account, and the dues for the BCV points come from that account. They're "my" points.
And although the kids are grown now, when they were younger, it was accepted family knowledge that at least once a year Mom needed a "Mom's getaway trip-Mom's mental health rejuvenation trip." DH takes one too-only he calls it a golf trip!

I’m starting to feel better about this. I honestly didn’t think there would be many people who did solo trips, but it’s comforting to know there are. What’s hard is we have a busy life with 4 boys (16, and 9 year old triplets). We are bringing the younger 3 in January. My husband gets away frequently for hunting trips in the fall. I used to do getaways with my friends from college, but since we have all had kids, finding time that works for all of us is difficult, and my girlfriends aren’t into Disney like I am. My husband has been encouraging me to do something “for me”, because seriously I never do. This would definitely be something for me, and possibly might be something I use with my DH, or my older son for a weekend.

I do a solo trip down to DLR once a year. I have 2 little ones and I need a good reset button every year and this is it (well and I go to Tahoe with my friends for one weekend a year). It’s perfect and yep, I bought enough points to include this annual trip.

My husband is not even remotely interested in going to Disney so I go by myself all the time. I also treat friends from time to time and that's fun too. But I really like going solo. It's selfish of me but I get to go where I want to go and when I want to go there. I can eat at signature or quick service without consulting anyone else. And I've had the opportunity to meet other solo travelers.

My DVC is the one vacation I can go on with no "single supplement". When I travel with friends, I'm usually the single one and package vacations are always priced based on 2. So I'm really happy to have DVC. I'm not always on my own, but when I am, I'm in a great resort, with familiar surroundings.

Yes, I am single and own 3 DVC contracts. I travel alone as well as with friends. I have a demanding and often very stressful job and I find that Disney is a great escape.

Yes, I am single and own 3 DVC contracts. I travel alone as well as with friends. I have a demanding and often very stressful job and I find that Disney is a great escape.
Exact same here. I started going by myself and with friends a couple years ago for some vacations. I decided last December that DVC was a good way to save money at the resorts I prefer to stay at, so I bought points at PVB, BLT, and BWV. I've got trips lined up to go with my extended fam as well as friends. But I would estimate I'll be going 75% of the time by myself which I'm fine with.

I purchased DVC with the intent of going solo as I’m single. I own at SSR because I love the option to walk to DS, which is perfect for a solo traveler. Also, I love being at deluxe resorts with mature theming/pools and I don’t do parks night/day like I used to. However, I feel like family and friends will be tagging along more often than not.

I purchased DVC with the intent of going solo as I’m single. I own at SSR because I love the option to walk to DS, which is perfect for a solo traveler. Also, I love being at deluxe resorts with mature theming/pools and I don’t do parks night/day like I used to. However, I feel like family and friends will be tagging along more often than not.

Love my family... but when they suggest joining me on my solo trips, I remind them of my favorite country western song: how can I miss you if you won't go away :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!