Purchasing DVC for Disneyland mostly?

Jesteraz

Earning My Ears
Hey All,
We have a small family of three, and maybe one day it will be four, and I have been kicking around the idea of purchasing DVC. We live in AZ and would mostly be travelling to Disneyland, although it's possible we would go to Hawaii or Disneyworld at some point. We are pretty flexible when we would visit, and off season really appeals to us. I'm just wondering if it really makes sense to purchase right now if we would only be travelling to VGC. Does it make sense to try and purchase another property and hope to get availability at 7 months? Purchase direct or resale? I was thinking of somewhere in the range of 100 to 200 points.

Although we have never stayed at a Disney Resort, we like the idea of proximity and having a kitchen. We are probably a Disneyland ever 2 years type of family.

Any help would be appreciated.

VGC is small and sold out with new resale being in the high $200's. You can't even buy it direct. If that is where you will stay watch for a resale with UY being important.

Buying a WDW DVC is not a good idea for your situation unless you plan to visit on a regular basis. Buying where you want to stay is #1 IMO. Good luck!

If I were in your situation, I would wait for the Disneyland Hotel DVC Tower comes online in a couple of years. It's projected to open around 2023. This way, you'll get in with a new property, longer lease (50 years), and will have direct financial incentives when going through Disney. People here debate what they think the opening price will be, but everyone expects it to be lower than VGC.

https://dvcfan.com/2021/07/13/construction-begins-on-disneyland-hotel-dvc-tower/
VGC is sold out and you can't really buy direct from Disney even though they post a rate of $310/pt. Resale is going for very high $200s. VGC's location can't be beat, but for the cost savings, longer contract (VGC has 39 years left I believe), and potential blue card (if you buy enough direct), I'd wait for the new DL Tower.

We are in the same boat, family of 4 exclusively west coast + Hawaii, no plans to go to Florida at this time. We own at AUL and at VGC.

It's pretty much impossible to find any available contract for VGC (well... there is one right this second priced at $320/pt).

I do not recommend buying at another property and attempting to use them at VGC at the 7 month mark. I've been lucky with the waitlist picking up crumbs (another board members' words, not mine), but it's almost impossible to book a planned/consecutive days vacation within the 7 month window at VGC.

I'm trying to find another August UY contract for VGC, but the reality is, I'm probably going to buy at the new DLH tower when it opens for sales.

As for AUL, I own a small 50pt contract that I usually (when it was non-pandemic borrowing rules) bank/borrow into a 4-5 night stay every few years. Because of the price differential between AUL and VGC points, I sometimes use AUL points for random nights in the 7 month window, but will NEVER use my VGC points at AUL.

Goodluck!

Mathematically, the solution is to rent VGC points, but that isn't the easiest thing to do.

When the DL tower comes out, it will be easier to rent into DL. This is what I would do for a DL every two years kind of plan.

I wouldn't buy either.

Buy where you want to stay, or don’t mind staying. While I’ve been successful at the 7 month mark I wouldn’t rely on it for a consistent strategy.

I missed the every 2 years part of the post.... not sure if buying the new DVC/DLH tower is best. If the minimum buy is 150 points, that's a LOT of points to bank and use every other year (especially since the new tower is studio heavy).

I mean, I love DVC, but renting (or just booking directly with the hotel itself) might be a better option, as RoseGold stated above.

VGC is the worst of all DVC resorts for 7 month availability. Buy a VGC resale (but pickings are extremely slim right now) or wait for the new Disneyland Hotel DVC.

Hey All,
We have a small family of three, and maybe one day it will be four, and I have been kicking around the idea of purchasing DVC. We live in AZ and would mostly be travelling to Disneyland, although it's possible we would go to Hawaii or Disneyworld at some point. We are pretty flexible when we would visit, and off season really appeals to us. I'm just wondering if it really makes sense to purchase right now if we would only be travelling to VGC. Does it make sense to try and purchase another property and hope to get availability at 7 months? Purchase direct or resale? I was thinking of somewhere in the range of 100 to 200 points.

Although we have never stayed at a Disney Resort, we like the idea of proximity and having a kitchen. We are probably a Disneyland ever 2 years type of family.

Any help would be appreciated.
Given the sections bolded, are you particularly set on DVC ... or would another timeshare club with locations in the areas you mention, with kitchens, w/in walking distance to Disneyland be on the radar?

We own Worldmark the Club (owners for 21+ years) and have visited over 50 of their "in network" properties as well as various exchanges. While the resorts are not as "highly themed" as DVC locations, the rooms are generally larger, better equipped and less expensive (per night costs after factoring purchase + dues). You might want to consider it?

You don't have to buy a timeshare to stay walking distance to Disneyland or to get a nice condo in Hawaii. There are lots of options to do these things that don't lock you into a timeshare. Having a kitchen is going to rule out a bazillion hotels, but there are still plenty of Airbnbs or other timeshares you can rent or pay cash.

Given the sections bolded, are you particularly set on DVC ... or would another timeshare club with locations in the areas you mention, with kitchens, w/in walking distance to Disneyland be on the radar?

We own Worldmark the Club (owners for 21+ years) and have visited over 50 of their "in network" properties as well as various exchanges. While the resorts are not as "highly themed" as DVC locations, the rooms are generally larger, better equipped and less expensive (per night costs after factoring purchase + dues). You might want to consider it?

I agree with this.

Hey OP: I'm with these last few posters: what exactly are you hoping DVC will do for you other than "allow you to own a 'piece of the magic' TM?"

There are great options offsite but very close to DLR which are much much cheaper than DVC.

Aulani is nice enough but have you visited Maui, the Big Island or seen the Na Pali coast off Kauai? Take your time and make sure DVC is really worth it in your case...

I think when traveling to DLR, staying on-site is far less critical.

I agree. Our BLT DVC has been awesome, but I personally don't really see any value in spending the money it would take to stay DVC in California. Our average WDW trip is 8 nights, while DLR is 3. I think last time it ran us 800 bucks to stay across the street on Harbor.

That being said, I haven't ruled out the idea of buying a very small contract at the new DVC tower at DLR when points come out. Depending on the point chart I could see grabbing a small amount of points to stay 3 or 4 nights a year in a studio. We'll see what things look like when the do the initial offer. Worst case I rent them out for a few extra bucks a year.

Having a kitchen is going to rule out a bazillion hotels, but there are still plenty of Airbnbs or other timeshares you can rent or pay cash.

I agree and would even argue that having a kitchen at DLR isn't so critical -- it was nice booking the 1 bedroom VGC and having space to eat, though. But trip lengths tend to be shorter at DLR vs. WDW & Aulani.

Also, isn't the new DLH tower going to be heavily skewed toward studio units? That's where the demand is (as evidenced by difficulty of booking a studio at VGC vs. 1bd and 2bd units).

I think when traveling to DLR, staying on-site is far less critical.

Yes, but walking east of esplanade after a long day and crossing Harbor is a very different experience vs. walking west through DTD. Is it worth $$$$ a night? Well...that will just depend on where someone is coming from financially.

Someone willing to pay $320/pt for a VGC contract isn't scrounging for a room a Best Western to save money.

Aulani is nice enough but have you visited Maui, the Big Island or seen the Na Pali coast off Kauai? Take your time and make sure DVC is really worth it in your case...

I love love love Maui! This is why I'm way okay with my little 50 point AUL contract, it's just enough to splash in the DVC pool without getting hosed.

That being said, I haven't ruled out the idea of buying a very small contract at the new DVC tower at DLR when points come out. Depending on the point chart I could see grabbing a small amount of points to stay 3 or 4 nights a year in a studio. We'll see what things look like when the do the initial offer. Worst case I rent them out for a few extra bucks a year.

This is my plan as well. Blue card benefits are generally not worth it (especially for west coast based DVC owners), so my purchase will likely be below the minimum point requirement.

I could probably be swayed to buy a 150 point contract, though...darn you, Disney!

wow, awesome, thanks for all the replies. I mean you guys / gals pretty much confirmed what I was thinking anyway, that it isn't an good idea for me. I was just kicking around the idea / dreaming. I'm not a airBnB type of guy, but we do like a kitchen. I'll look into other options the next time I go, and see what's up when the new location when it comes out. What I was really looking for was convenience. We tend to walk back to our room at least once a day, and like to cook our own meals (my wife is gluten-free, egg free, dairy free, sugar free, and you can imagine how hard that is to find food outside of making it yourself). We just came back a few weeks ago and were staying at the howard johnson. While the walk wasn't bad, it was annoying with a 4 year old. Finding food was difficult, although we did manage to get a reservation for Cathay Circle Lounge and that was great (although they had almost no vegetables).

Also, isn't the new DLH tower going to be heavily skewed toward studio units? That's where the demand is (as evidenced by difficulty of booking a studio at VGC vs. 1bd and 2bd units).

Yes, DL Tower will be mostly studio. If it follows the RIV pattern, its 1BR will be stupid expensive on points, which might make them easier to book.

There are plenty of timeshares and condos near WDW and DL that aren't DVC -- and you can rent DVC points without buying into extremely expensive VGC points.

That plan only works if you enjoy disappointment. The higher prices get for VGC the more owners stay there exclusively on those points and the tighter the 7 mo day (because its a 5 minute window, not 7 mos) becomes. Even I broke down and bought in.

My home resort is VGC so I’ll weigh in. I was that person who said staying off property was just fine and I didn’t need to stay on property. Then I stayed at the Disneyland Hotel and it was very difficult to consider hotels off property after that. I like being in the Disney bubble and some of the areas off Harbor Street (where several of the hotels are located) can be sketchy. I dreaded walking back to the hotel at night from the parks. This isn’t to minimize the other hotels. But given the option, I will choose the Grand Californian or the Disneyland Hotel any day. If you’d like to become DVC members, I’d either buy VGC resale or purchase DLT with direct benefits. If you aren’t in a particular rush, I’d probably wait to purchase DLT as a direct member.

As an aside, I am from AZ, too 😊

If you aren’t in a particular rush, I’d probably wait to purchase DLT as a direct member.

As an aside, I am from AZ, too 😊

Nice, I live in Tempe, but from NY originally. We tend to travel to CA as its just so easy, drive or fly.. I've never stayed on property at DL but ill do it once before considering purchasing. No rush, so ill wait to see what DLT is like. Thanks for all the advice / opinions everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter