PSA - Why you should BACK IN to your driveway

Yet kids have been run over and killed in front. Ditto for looking behind your vehicle. At least most cars have backup cameras now. Most do not have front facing cameras.
How many of those kids were sitting down though? Most NEWER cars have backup cameras. Guessing (absolutely nothing to back it up) that most cars on the road DON'T. Newer cars are also coming out with front sensors. I'm not sure front cameras are a good idea. I'd have to see how they really work out (does a driver take their eyes off the road to see the camera?).

And that would have been a better example... showing a child walking/running in front of the SUV. It's the "sitting" that bothered me. To me, it's not a realistic example.
It's a demonstration of blind spot; it's not intended to be an example of a real situation. The intent is to show how much of a blind spot is directly in front of an SUV vs a sedan. And sitting on the ground shows approx. height of a toddler/preschooler, vs the (usually) pre-teens who help with such a demonstration. People think "well yeah I might not see if a child runs right in front of the vehicle, but this demonstration shows it is actually several yards out before the driver can see. The vehicle never moves, it's all a stationary demonstration.

I'm surprised you haven't seen it -- it's a pretty common demonstration, usually hits the TV news at least once a year.

It's a demonstration of blind spot; it's not intended to be an example of a real situation. The intent is to show how much of a blind spot is directly in front of an SUV vs a sedan. And sitting on the ground shows approx. height of a toddler/preschooler, vs the (usually) pre-teens who help with such a demonstration. People think "well yeah I might not see if a child runs right in front of the vehicle, but this demonstration shows it is actually several yards out before the driver can see. The vehicle never moves, it's all a stationary demonstration.

I'm surprised you haven't seen it -- it's a pretty common demonstration, usually hits the TV news at least once a year.
Could have been done with cones or many other items. Sitting kids just doesn't ring "true" to me.

Could have been done with cones or many other items. Sitting kids just doesn't ring "true" to me.
I supposed it could have been done with simply a measuring tape or any other item lined up, or even with the kids standing. Though the point of the sitting children is to indicate toddler height which wouldn't come through with cones or a measuring tape or tweens standing up. The point is to make a memorable impact that someone remembers as "wow 10 kids lined up before I can see any!" vs "oh 10 cones lined up."

I'm not really sure why this is a point of contention. If you don't like the demonstration you don't have to watch it, or better yet feel free to set up your own demonstration.

And FWIW, I prefer to back-in -- parking lots and my own driveway included.

I don't back into parking places and never will. I have backup cameras and I had paid extra for backup sensors installed on my car. I use the camera to slowly back up and if someone crosses my path while backing up, like in a store parking lot, the sensor will beep.

The accident the OP posted was terrible and tragic, but it was an accident. I feel sorry for the young woman who ran over the toddler and the family of the child. Toddlers and small children can come out of no where. Even while you're watching. Even if you are backing into a parking place. Backing into the place may have saved this child, but another child may have been killed by someone backing into a driveway while their focus was on the process.

Actually it was 7508 deaths in 2022. There were 7485 deaths in 2021.
https://www.ghsa.org/resources/Pedestrians23

According to the report in 2021, 35% of pedestrian fatalities were involving a car. 24% SUV and 15% pickups.
View attachment 775682

Which you would think makes sense, there's more cars on the road, right? BUT, trucks and SUV sales/leases have been outpacing car sales/leases for over a decade...
View attachment 775683
I can't find the stats but I wonder how many pedestrian accidents are there by vehicle type that do NOT result in a fatality?

If the experts are right, then there would be a higher percentage of SUV and truck accidents resulting in a fatality compared to passenger cars.

This was a timely thread as I had just listened to a podcast titled:

Why Is the U.S. So Good at Killing Pedestrians?
https://freakonomics.com/podcast/why-is-the-u-s-so-good-at-killing-pedestrians/

Seems to me the parents should have been paying attention to their 2 year old. We have always made sure any kids playing outside are clear of the driveway when anybody, including ourselves, are backing out. Our granddaughters are 8, 10, and 12 and to this day when I’m backing out of their driveway they stand off to the side where I can see them as I’m backing out
My grandma’s house always had a gaggle of kids around all times and we got in the habit of doing this very early on in our lives. Parents gather and line up all kids so that they can clearly be seen by the driver backing out or pulling forward.
How many of those kids were sitting down though? Most NEWER cars have backup cameras. Guessing (absolutely nothing to back it up) that most cars on the road DON'T. Newer cars are also coming out with front sensors. I'm not sure front cameras are a good idea. I'd have to see how they really work out (does a driver take their eyes off the road to see the camera?).
My Palisade has front camera/sensors. I have to physically press a button to turn the camera on. It shuts off over five miles an hour I think. It’s not meant for driving but for being able to see around the vehicle while parking/pulling out. I use it in parking lots the most.

When I was a teen I had a friend who nearly killed her little brother running him over in the driveway. It’s something I’ve been terrified of since I began driving. When my DH had a new stereo put in my Tahoe I asked for a backup camera because we had tiny little girls on our street that ran around unsupervised and thought nothing of running behind vehicles. I just bought a front/rear wide angle system for it that can also be adjusted for blind spots for my kids. The Palisade has 360 cameras and sensors with every warning you can think of. I’ve turned a lot of stuff off on it but front and rear people warnings and braking I’ve left on. You can be the most careful person on the planet but kids are fast and have no sense of judgment when it comes to car speed. Leaving that stuff on makes me more aware and is safer. I still triple check my mirrors though.

With the 360 system I am now an awesome parker, lol. Still I pull through whenever I can. DH and older DD always back in. Sometimes I do sometimes I don’t.

Last edited:
You're supposed to physically turn around and look out the back window when backing up. People don't do this anymore because they are lazy from having cameras and sensors.

One benefit to still driving a 2007 car is I have none of that. My 18 year old learned how to drive in that car and knows to physically look behind him while backing up. There is no substitute for your own eyes.

Even when I drive a car with cameras and sensors, I physically turn my head and look all around before and while I back up.

If you can't see over the hood of your own car, or at a height of 3 feet behind it, you shouldn't be driving that car or your seat is too low and needs to be raised.

I will never back into my garage and I will hardly ever back into a parking space. Most lots are far too narrow to do this efficiently and people are impatient. There is a far greater chance of a collision when backing into a parking spot than just pulling straight in. The only time it is efficient to back into a spot is when the spaces are at a diagonal and are all running in the same direction such that backing in simply means pulling forward slightly ahead of the space and backing in quickly.

Years ago we lived in a house that had a driveway the length of one car and separated from the street by a sidewalk and a strip of grass. With cars parked on both sides of the driveway it would have been tricky to back in. Our house now has a long, narrow, curving, uphill driveway. It's just not realistic to back in. People should just be aware of their surroundings before moving the car. If there are kids nearby make sure their parents are properly supervising them. Streets are not playgrounds, even in cul de sacs. Parents should start teaching their kids road and car safety as soon as they can begin to understand. We've been doing that with our toddler grandson.

You're supposed to physically turn around and look out the back window when backing up. People don't do this anymore because they are lazy from having cameras and sensors.

One benefit to still driving a 2007 car is I have none of that. My 18 year old learned how to drive in that car and knows to physically look behind him while backing up. There is no substitute for your own eyes.

Even when I drive a car with cameras and sensors, I physically turn my head and look all around before and while I back up.

If you can't see over the hood of your own car, or at a height of 3 feet behind it, you shouldn't be driving that car or your seat is too low and needs to be raised.

I will never back into my garage and I will hardly ever back into a parking space. Most lots are far too narrow to do this efficiently and people are impatient. There is a far greater chance of a collision when backing into a parking spot than just pulling straight in. The only time it is efficient to back into a spot is when the spaces are at a diagonal and are all running in the same direction such that backing in simply means pulling forward slightly ahead of the space and backing in quickly.
A lot of people that back in are from a military background (themselves, spouse, parents). My husband was air force and was taught to back in to be able to leave quickly should an emergency come up. That thinking rubbed off on me and we are teaching the kids the same. It just makes sense, more work up front for a safer and more efficient exit. Most people do turn around to look out the back window when backing up, I still do it even in my 2023 Lexus GX that has all the safety features. My safety features haven't made me lazy, just a better driver.

If people are impatient for the couple seconds it takes to back in to a spot, that is their problem.

The toddler could have just as easily been killed backing in as backing out. If the toddler gets loose and gets behind the car in a blind spot, it really doesn't matter why someone is backing. Whether backing in, or backing out, the toddler is going to get hit. Furthermore, many accidents occur with the struck person or object right in front of the driver's nose in plain view with the driver going forward. The driver simply wasn't paying attention or had poor depth perception.

Yes, the problem is someone is behind the car. PERIOD. I can't tell you how many times I was trying to back into a space and someone on their phone, or digging into their purse, or wresting with their grocery bags was walking as I was backing into a spot.

You and the people around you are far more attentive when you arrive, much less so when you depart.

This is such a massive assumption, and unfounded. See above, where people just aren't paying attention and NOT looking at the driving lane, but just straight ahead, or not even looking around at the parking lot.

Also, around here in NY & NJ, backing into a space causes problems as most people don't back in. Once you've gone PAST the space, the car BEHIND you wants that empty spot and starts to turn and pull into it. If you start backing up and don't see that they are there, you end up T-boning them as they pull in.

The main thing that concerns me whether people are backing in or out, is that so many people seem to rely on their cameras instead of turning their heads to get a full look of the surroundings. That's the real problem.

Yes, the problem is someone is behind the car. PERIOD. I can't tell you how many times I was trying to back into a space and someone on their phone, or digging into their purse, or wresting with their grocery bags was walking as I was backing into a spot.

This is such a massive assumption, and unfounded. See above, where people just aren't paying attention and NOT looking at the driving lane, but just straight ahead, or not even looking around at the parking lot.

Also, around here in NY & NJ, backing into a space causes problems as most people don't back in. Once you've gone PAST the space, the car BEHIND you wants that empty spot and starts to turn and pull into it. If you start backing up and don't see that they are there, you end up T-boning them as they pull in.

Your second point is so true. Parking lots here are BUSY. You pull past a space, you just lost it.

OK, so I drive a somewhat high ground-clearance car: an Outback. (And yes, it's still classed as a car, not an SUV. Technically, they call it a "raised station wagon.") It has cameras front and back, but the back camera is mounted underneath the hatch handle, while the front cameras are mounted at the top center of the windshield. What this means is that in real terms, I can see the ground behind the car (to within 6 inches of the bumper) clearly while backing, while the length of the hood means that the area of ground in front of the car that I cannot see is more like 6 feet from the bumper while moving forward. Also, the front sensors turn off at a speed of less than 5 mph, while the rear ones stay active at any speed. In my car I *can* see that unattended toddler if he is right behind my car, while I cannot see him if he is in front of it.

It's not actually possible for me to back my car in at home unless my husband's car is not home, because our garage opens onto an alley, and there isn't room to back from the open space into the constrained one unless the garage is empty at the time. Kids play in the alley constantly, and it is literally impossible to see directly out to the sides of the garage until the driver clears the door. When I come through the walking gate I check for kids/parents, and if I see any I tell them to be careful because I'm leaving, and I also count heads.

I can think of a whole raft of practical reasons why it makes more sense to park nose-out than nose-in wherever possible, but I'm not sure that better odds of avoiding hitting a child or animal is really one of them, at least not while driving a camera-equipped car. I think the chances of an unattended child managing to get close enough to a moving vehicle to get hit by it really don't change all that much based on what end of the car he's closest to; what matters most is whether the child approaches the car from the side (or worst of all, the inside.)

FWIW, I am personally acquainted with a person who accidentally ran over and killed their own child. It happened because the child managed to unlatch her car seat and open the door enough to slip out as the car was pulled (forward) out of their driveway. The child fell underneath the car and was run over by the rear wheel. It happened a long time ago, before the advent of rear-door child safety locks, but I personally don't think any driver should trust that those will be on unless they personally check the locks each and every time they put a child in the back seat.

When dealing with the safety of children near cars, there is just no substitute for counting heads, but even that doesn't always work.

PS: If I had to guess why more pedestrians get hit by cars than by SUVs or light trucks, I would go with the likely age of the driver. The majority of situations where drivers hit pedestrians are situations of driver inattention or impairment: very young drivers are more likely to be inattentive, and elderly drivers are more likely to have visual impairments and/or slower reflexes. Both groups are probably a bit more likely to drive cars; the young because they are cheaper, and the old because of that and because they have lower ground clearance to climb in and out.

Last edited:
I backed into my driveway today, because of this thread.

in a parking lot, I prefer to "pull through" where there are two spots back to back, even if it means walking farther to the store/restaurant/whatever. (It's good exercise anyway,)

OK, so I drive a somewhat high ground-clearance car: an Outback. (And yes, it's still classed as a car, not an SUV. Technically, they call it a "raised station wagon.") It has cameras front and back, but the back camera is mounted underneath the hatch handle, while the front cameras are mounted at the top center of the windshield. What this means is that in real terms, I can see the ground behind the car (to within 6 inches of the bumper) clearly while backing, while the length of the hood means that the area of ground in front of the car that I cannot see is more like 6 feet from the bumper while moving forward. Also, the front sensors turn off at a speed of less than 5 mph, while the rear ones stay active at any speed. In my car I *can* see that unattended toddler if he is right behind my car, while I cannot see him if he is in front of it.

It's not actually possible for me to back my car in at home unless my husband's car is not home, because our garage opens onto an alley, and there isn't room to back from the open space into the constrained one unless the garage is empty at the time. Kids play in the alley constantly, and it is literally impossible to see directly out to the sides of the garage until the driver clears the door. When I come through the walking gate I check for kids/parents, and if I see any I tell them to be careful because I'm leaving, and I also count heads.

I can think of a whole raft of practical reasons why it makes more sense to park nose-out than nose-in wherever possible, but I'm not sure that better odds of avoiding hitting a child or animal is really one of them, at least not while driving a camera-equipped car. I think the chances of an unattended child managing to get close enough to a moving vehicle to get hit by it really don't change all that much based on what end of the car he's closest to; what matters most is whether the child approaches the car from the side (or worst of all, the inside.)

FWIW, I am personally acquainted with a person who accidentally ran over and killed their own child. It happened because the child managed to unlatch her car seat and open the door enough to slip out as the car was pulled (forward) out of their driveway. The child fell underneath the car and was run over by the rear wheel. It happened a long time ago, before the advent of rear-door child safety locks, but I personally don't think any driver should trust that those will be on unless they personally check the locks each and every time they put a child in the back seat.

When dealing with the safety of children near cars, there is just no substitute for counting heads, but even that doesn't always work.

PS: If I had to guess why more pedestrians get hit by cars than by SUVs or light trucks, I would go with the likely age of the driver. The majority of situations where drivers hit pedestrians are situations of driver inattention or impairment: very young drivers are more likely to be inattentive, and elderly drivers are more likely to have visual impairments and/or slower reflexes. Both groups are probably a bit more likely to drive cars; the young because they are cheaper, and the old because of that and because they have lower ground clearance to climb in and out.
I think it is more common than we think because it doesn't make the news. The people from Welcome to Plathville I think the mother ran over her son in a similar manner. Steven Curtis Chapman's adopted daughter was hit and killed by a car driven by their son. So horrible and such life-altering events many struggle to overcome. Some years ago, a little girl was hit in the McDonald's parking lot a town over when the car backed up.

The main thing that concerns me whether people are backing in or out, is that so many people seem to rely on their cameras instead of turning their heads to get a full look of the surroundings. That's the real problem.
You should be using a combo of both but I tell you what I see a LOT more on that 360 camera system than I can looking over my shoulder out the back window. They’ve made me *more* aware not less.

I'm not sure that better odds of avoiding hitting a child or animal is really one of them
I think pulling forward out of a parking space has two big advantages...
1) Better visibility. Yes, I have a rear camera on my car, put one in on my old car (that DS currently drives), but its still easier to see (not just directly in front, but to the sides) than a camera. Doesnt have to be a person or animal,, but other vehicles also_Others may disagree.
2) Manueverability. Since the front wheels are what steers the car, its MUCH easier to pull out.

The downside of backing in is cars behind you have to wait. As far as one of them taking the spot when you go past it, it should be treated like a parallel parking spot... put on your turn signal and they SHOULD respect that. Of course, some won't.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter