Pros of owning a dvc property

For you who have been in DVC for a long time, what was the reason they extended some of the OKW contracts? Was it added on to? I wonder if that would be something that might happen to a few of the others with a shorter term....
I agree that no one knows the details from DVC's standpoint. They actually extended all the contracts at OKW they just asked owners to either pay up or sign over the extra 15 years and they threatened them with a special assessment (SA) if they didn't. The RTU is tied to the land use contract which backed them into a corner. They started with OKW and I'm sure they planned to march through the list had it worked out. But it didn't, the response was underwhelming to say the least. We an argue as to why, my view is they over priced it as well as the heavy handed approach turned people off. I believe the real value at the time was around $8 pp rather than $15 and the price was actually $25 discounted to $15. I go back and forth on whether they'll offer other extension, I tend to think they will eventually for all but maybe HH & VB but it'll have to be much different than it was for OKW. My opinion is they could do it as a sales incentive for new resorts but I'm sure there are limitations legally. And the OKW offering ties their hands somewhat on future options else they could both lose face and have to reimburse and/or reoffer OKW owners. I've not heard of an attempted SA and I don't believe they have the right for a SA for this item under the POS or FL law.

I'm reading all of this with great interest as we have been going pretty much once a year for years but have never quite been able to make the numbers work for DVC. I'm looking at this idea again but I have a question:
What are the perks of buying direct that you do not get with resale? I'm reading bits and pieces here and there and really want to wrap my head around it.
Thanks!

......(snip).............What are the perks of buying direct that you do not get with resale? I'm reading bits and pieces here and there and really want to wrap my head around it.
Thanks!
Here you go -

Membership Extras

Most here think the Extras aren't worth the huge price differential to buy direct. Some buy a resale contract and then buy a small add-on (25 points) directly from Disney. At least for now, that would qualify yo for the Extras. IMO, the DVC Annual pass prices could make that direct purchase worthwhile for larger families who go often enough to make an AP the best ticket value.

Does anyone think that with all the members buying resale and being discriminated by not giving them the same benefits as all other members prior to April 2016. Would it be cause for a class action law suite? I understand that it is a benefit and it can be taken away at anytime. But, it should be an equal benefit. Does it seem fair to an individual that purchased April 4th, 2016, than and individual that purchased April 5th. 2016. If you ask me I think a class action suite is in order!

And I know what some people are going to say "Well you knew you weren't going to get the incidentals benefits when you purchased" Yes I know! But it's the matter of principal! Plus we are not supposed to be living in an age of segregation. A membership is a membership no matter what! We all have ownership rights and soon more will be without benefits than those with the benefits. If their are any attorneys out there listening???

Does anyone think that with all the members buying resale and being discriminated by not giving them the same benefits as all other members prior to April 2016. Would it be cause for a class action law suite? I understand that it is a benefit and it can be taken away at anytime. But, it should be an equal benefit. Does it seem fair to an individual that purchased April 4th, 2016, than and individual that purchased April 5th. 2016. If you ask me I think a class action suite is in order!

And I know what some people are going to say "Well you knew you weren't going to get the incidentals benefits when you purchased" Yes I know! But it's the matter of principal! Plus we are not supposed to be living in an age of segregation. A membership is a membership no matter what! We all have ownership rights and soon more will be without benefits than those with the benefits. If their are any attorneys out there listening???
If it's a matter of principle one likely shouldn't play in the sandbox. It's really about understanding what one has entered into contractually.

Lol are you serious? I can't believe people feel so entitled to "equality" they think they can sue for something like this.
No you cannot sue Disney for not inviting you to their party.
If you really want to be equal go pay full price for points.

Lol are you serious? I can't believe people feel so entitled to "equality" they think they can sue for something like this.
No you cannot sue Disney for not inviting you to their party.
If you really want to be equal go pay full price for points.

Not everybody paid full price! Why should I?

If that were the case, then why not take everyone's incidentals away and just leave it for Direct Only!

That would make more sense but it would create an uproar and DVD doesn't want to do that.

If you are going to exclude a minority group then do it, but stop saying it's only for the Direct buyer, because resale buyers pre 4-4-16 were also included.

Not everybody paid full price! Why should I?
Cool then don't. Lol.

But calling it minority groups, discrimination, segregation, etc... is just silly.
If you want to go to the party, pay the price. This is no different than the people that complain the parks are too expensive.

Bless your heart.

Equating not getting into a (luxury) lounge at Epcot at a (luxury) vacation spot to systemic racial discrimination, or even systemic wage discrimination, shows a real lack of perspective.

Being denied Cheez-Its and Cokes ain't no Stop And Frisk. It's not even being turned away at Augusta for the color of your skin.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter