Progreso Shore Excursions Recommendations

amazond

Earning My Ears
We (two parents and two college age kids) will be cruising on the Disney Wonder out of Galveston Dec. 21-27 on a Very Merrytime cruise. We have one stop in Cozumel and one in Progreso and are considering shore excursions. In Cozumel we're pretty sure we're going to do the Fury Catamaran Sail Snorkel and Beach Party excursion, but we're less sure about what we're going to do in Progreso. The two that look interesting to us right now are the Mayapan Ruins, Lazy River Tubing and Cave Swim and the Outback Safari Bus Kayak and Beach Break.

Has anyone that's done either of these two shore excursions give some more insight? Or give any recommendations or experience with Progreso excursions in general?

We (two parents and two college age kids) will be cruising on the Disney Wonder out of Galveston Dec. 21-27 on a Very Merrytime cruise. We have one stop in Cozumel and one in Progreso and are considering shore excursions. In Cozumel we're pretty sure we're going to do the Fury Catamaran Sail Snorkel and Beach Party excursion, but we're less sure about what we're going to do in Progreso. The two that look interesting to us right now are the Mayapan Ruins, Lazy River Tubing and Cave Swim and the Outback Safari Bus Kayak and Beach Break.

Has anyone that's done either of these two shore excursions give some more insight? Or give any recommendations or experience with Progreso excursions in general?

I do not think DCL has been to Progresso with guests yet. The Wonder was supposed to visit in early 2021, but did not due to the pandemic. She was there for some maintenance earlier this year, but not with guests.

Some DCL cruisers may have been there with other lines and have advice for you. You might ask over on Cruise Critic, they have port specific boards.

I do not think DCL has been to Progresso with guests yet. The Wonder was supposed to visit in early 2021, but did not due to the pandemic. She was there for some maintenance earlier this year, but not with guests.

Some DCL cruisers may have been there with other lines and have advice for you. You might ask over on Cruise Critic, they have port specific boards.
Interesting. So are you saying this is the first time DCL will be going to Progreso? Because my itinerary does say we'll be going to Progreso.

Interesting. So are you saying this is the first time DCL will be going to Progreso? Because my itinerary does say we'll be going to Progreso.

If I remember correctly, the Wonder had Progresso as a port on one cruise that was supposed to sail in 2021. That cruise did not happen. So, I think the Dec 21 cruise from Galveston will be the inaugural visit to Progresso with guests aboard. Fun for you!

You can do Chichen Itza from Progreso. More color here:
Unfortunately we've already visited Chichen Itza in the past on a trip to Mexico, so we're trying to do something different. Thanks though!
If I remember correctly, the Wonder had Progresso as a port on one cruise that was supposed to sail in 2021. That cruise did not happen. So, I think the Dec 21 cruise from Galveston will be the inaugural visit to Progresso with guests aboard. Fun for you!
Huh, that's interesting. I didn't know that.

Hey, we're on the same cruise! In fact, we had reserved the Mayapan Ruins/Lazy River Tubing/Cave Swim excursion, but ended up switching to the Chichen Itza with Cenote Swim one once it became available. We haven't been to Progresso before, so I can't offer a lot of help.

As someone else mentioned, though, I found the Cruise Critic port excursion reviews to at least offer a little insight as to what to expect from different excursions, even if they're not exactly the same. We were kind of in the "do something in the port that's hard to do elsewhere" mode, and it seemed that the Mayan history and Cenotes (I imagine the lazy river/cave swim is similar) is one of the kind-of-unique things about that port, which is why we were looking at the ones we did.

As someone else mentioned, though, I found the Cruise Critic port excursion reviews to at least offer a little insight as to what to expect from different excursions, even if they're not exactly the same. We were kind of in the "do something in the port that's hard to do elsewhere" mode, and it seemed that the Mayan history and Cenotes (I imagine the lazy river/cave swim is similar) is one of the kind-of-unique things about that port, which is why we were looking at the ones we did.
Yeah I'm looking at Cruise Critic right now but I'm having a hard time navigating it because like you said none of the excursions are the exact same as the ones Disney offers. I also looked at the Carnival website which does have reviews for the Mayapan Ruins/Lazy River Tubing/Cave Swim excursion, but not for the Safari Bus/Kayak/Beach Break excursion.

We're on that same cruise too and had originally booked the Mayapan Ruins, Lazy River, and Cave Swim because it incorporated two things we really wanted to experience in Mexico: Mayan ruins and swim in a cenote. We were really tempted to switch to the Chichen Itza with Cenote when it became available, but elected not too purely from a crowd perspective-- I think the more laid-back Mayapan ruins will be a much more enjoyable experience for us.

We ultimately cancelled the Mayapan Ruins excursion through DCL, though, because we found what appears to be pretty much the same excursion through a third-party company that offers a private experience. It's more money since it's private, of course, but it fits our needs better. We've been super impressed by every aspect of our interaction with this company: https://www.yucatancenote.com (it's the 'Above & Below' tour; hopefully I'm able to post that link here).

Last edited:
We're on that same cruise too and had originally booked the Mayapan Ruins, Lazy River, and Cave Swim because it incorporated two things we really wanted to experience in Mexico: Mayan ruins and swim in a cenote. We were really tempted to switch to the Chichen Itza with Cenote when it became available, but elected not too purely from a crowd perspective-- I think the more laid-back Mayapan ruins will be a much more enjoyable experience for us.
Interesting, the rope swing they offer on that excursion looks pretty cool. I might take a look at it.

Has anyone done the Safari Bus and Kayak excursion? Or anything similar to it?

Hey, we're on the same cruise! In fact, we had reserved the Mayapan Ruins/Lazy River Tubing/Cave Swim excursion, but ended up switching to the Chichen Itza with Cenote Swim one once it became available. We haven't been to Progresso before, so I can't offer a lot of help.

Hi ! We are on the same cruise as well :) Also booked the Mayapan Ruins but keep searching...what made you switch, exactly? I guess I need to look over at Cruise Critic as well. I wish there was an excursion similar with a little less travel time.

Hi ! We are on the same cruise as well :) Also booked the Mayapan Ruins but keep searching...what made you switch, exactly? I guess I need to look over at Cruise Critic as well. I wish there was an excursion similar with a little less travel time.
We picked that just since I've wanted to see Chichen Itza! My family actually went back and forth several times between the two, (the Mayapan one sounded maybe more "fun"), but figured that if this is our one chance to see Chichen Itza, we should do it.

I know this is from last year, but hoping people would review the excursions from Progreso.

Last edited:

We ultimately cancelled the Mayapan Ruins excursion through DCL, though, because we found what appears to be pretty much the same excursion through a third-party company that offers a private experience. It's more money since it's private, of course, but it fits our needs better. We've been super impressed by every aspect of our interaction with this company: https://www.yucatancenote.com (it's the 'Above & Below' tour; hopefully I'm able to post that link here).
How was your excursion? We’re booked on the DCL excursion to Uxmal in January but had a hard time deciding between Uxmal and Mayapan.

How was your excursion? We’re booked on the DCL excursion to Uxmal in January but had a hard time deciding between Uxmal and Mayapan.
Blast from the past!

My family agrees that this is without question the best excursion we've ever done. I'd recommend that company we booked with in a heartbeat.

Blast from the past!

My family agrees that this is without question the best excursion we've ever done. I'd recommend that company we booked with in a heartbeat.
How was the tour of Mayapan? We’re not really interested in swimming in cenotes or cliff jumping, etc., just in seeing Mayan ruins.

We have Mayapan + Cenote booked for January. When's your cruise? I can report back.
We’re on the January 21 cruise out of Galveston. But I’ll still be interested in your report, because we’ll probably keep the DCL excursion to Uxmal we’ve already booked, and I’d like to hear more about Mayapan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!