Princess 1/2 walkers?

Thanks, I needed that. And I needed this morning's walk - did a 5k, stayed in form, made good time, with only a couple of twinges in the knee.

LotusLady and E - I hope you are doing well and sticking with your training :)

I have been so busy with work. 12+ hour days and then spent 5 days out of town at a sales meeting (those are about 15 hour days). Needless to say I didn't train for over a week. I'm behind by exactly one week on the Galloway Princess 1/2 program, but I am up to 7miles. I am trying to focus on these new strengths and milestones. I am also SERIOUSLY considering getting the flu shot for the first time in my life. Every February I am laid out for at least a week with a virus.

Has anyone taken the flu shot?

I've been walking the best I could while fighting a sinus/bronchial thing. Finally getting over it and planning a 6 mile walk tomorrow. I haven't done the flu shot in years, but it can help. Glad to see you posting -

Thanks for the kind thoughts! I'm back on track, thank goodness!

I teach college, so I get the flu shot every year. The communal living and poor (or fun, depending on how you look at it) lifestyle choices of the undergraduates means campuses are little petri dishes of ick.

It makes me a little ill the night I get it, so I try to get it at the end of the day. Then I'm to bed early and my symptoms are gone the next day. It's cut way down on my winter illnesses.

Can't hardly wait!

Whoo Hoo! Walked 10 miles today. Kept pretty good form and made fairly good time (especially on the first 6) - those last few got a bit more challenging. :)

GOOD for you, Lotuslady!

You know what? Since we started posting on this thread, I've lost 51lbs and I don't know how many sizes. Before all this, I was already pretty healthy according to my doctor. Now she's stunned at how fit I am -- and that it's largely due to walking.

And, in no small part, to the support and expertise I recieve here.

So Happy New Year's, all! pixiedust:

All RIGHT!!!! LL and E. Way to go for both of you. :cool1::cool1: I am so happy to read about your accomplishments.

Happy New Year :cheer2:

GOOD for you, Lotuslady!

You know what? Since we started posting on this thread, I've lost 51lbs and I don't know how many sizes. Before all this, I was already pretty healthy according to my doctor. Now she's stunned at how fit I am -- and that it's largely due to walking.

And, in no small part, to the support and expertise I recieve here.

So Happy New Year's, all! pixiedust:

Congratulations! Very impressive!

Hi Everyone..

I'm so pleased that I have stumbled over this thread and training tips. Just before Christmas RunDisney announced a new race to be held at WDW on the 29 October. Can’t believe the timing as I had already planned a trip to the world to experience “Halloween”. I’m from Australia and Halloween is pretty much non-existent over here. Let me just say that I’m NOT a sporty person by any stretch of the imagination… But a desire to be healthier (not to mention my backside needs to fit in the airplane seat :rotfl2:) is a major motivation to getting up from the couch and doing something and once I pay the race entrance fee, there is no backing out. So thank you for starting a walking thread.

Lotuslady.. I also have the thought of “omg, what have I committed to?” but in my version there are some other words added and mention of my mental state :rotfl:. After all, the race is in 10 months.

So CWGeorge, thank you for your advice about base conditioning… I’m working on that part first before I even consider speed. For me, my biggest issue is shin splints.

Erinna… A big congrats on the weight loss:thumbsup2

So the first race that I am aiming for is the Tower of Terror 10 miler on the 29 October since we were going to be there on holidays. It’s not a ½ marathon but I’m not a fit (at the moment) person. Coming back in September 2013 for the ½ marathon in DL with my brother who is training for the goofy. He is the complete opposite to me… He’s a sport nut.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas and New Year… Looking forward to what this year brings

Wow I am very inspired by all of you. I am a walker too. My husband is a runner. He is organizing a 5K for our local school district fundraiser in April. He wants me to participate. I could probably finish the 5K with a walk/run mix in between 40-45 minutes. I am not sure I could ever be a "runner" because I have about 40lbs to lose. My dream would be to do one of the Disney races but I'm too embarassed that I would finish last.. :rotfl: Reading all of your stories has made me believe I can do this if I want!!

Wow I am very inspired by all of you. I am a walker too. My husband is a runner. He is organizing a 5K for our local school district fundraiser in April. He wants me to participate. I could probably finish the 5K with a walk/run mix in between 40-45 minutes. I am not sure I could ever be a "runner" because I have about 40lbs to lose. My dream would be to do one of the Disney races but I'm too embarassed that I would finish last.. :rotfl: Reading all of your stories has made me believe I can do this if I want!!

I still have at least 75 lbs to lose, and I know that I may still be too slow and get swept up by the sweepers.

BUT I AM GOING FOR IT ANYWAY!! My speed has improved and I believe that the adrenalin will be going strong that day which will make me even faster.

I am making a commitment to myself. This is for me and even if I get swept up I will have won with myself because I will have done what I could, no matter where I am physically.

I still have at least 75 lbs to lose, and I know that I may still be too slow and get swept up by the sweepers.

BUT I AM GOING FOR IT ANYWAY!! My speed has improved and I believe that the adrenalin will be going strong that day which will make me even faster.

I am making a commitment to myself. This is for me and even if I get swept up I will have won with myself because I will have done what I could, no matter where I am physically.

:thumbsup2 I love it.. I figure there would HAVE to be someone like me doing it too...

Way to go Lotus Lady - I too maybe swept but I am like you I am training for it and even if I do get swept no one can take that training away from me. Keep going and we will make it!! If not this year then maybe in 2013.

So glad I came across this thread. I'm so happy to see there are so many walkers. I ran the Princess last year by myself. It was a huge accomplishment for me and I'm so glad I did it. This year, my friends want to do the race with me but they are not runners and want to walk it.
They are a little nervous about finishing in time but we'll be fine. I plan to have lots of fun and enjoy it this time.

Thanks for posting the link @ sweeping info. I know I can make 13.1mi, I just don't know if I can do it in 3:30. The comments by coach charles are especially reassuring...:hug:

I know I can do 13.1 miles too. I know I can do 3:30 too. What I'm worried about, is can I do 13.1 IN 3:30?

I haven't read the link yet, but I will. I've been training hard and reading all the posts. Thanks for all the great inspiration fellow walking Princesses!

ChimneySweepGeorge, I am very grateful for all the great information you have shared. You have pointed me in the right direction several times!

When I first committed to the race, I was so afraid I would be the only walker. I'm so glad to know there are lots of us. I am on schedule for race day. I am able to sustain a comfortable 16m/m and pushing the distance every day! My daughter and I are walking together. A friend of ours is doing the race but registered at a much faster time so will likely be in a different corral.

I truly hope that I get to say hello and high 5 each and every one of you here on the board. In your own way, you have kept me going - even though I've been very quiet here.

Keep at it friends!

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Hello Princess Half Walkers! I love that you have a solo thread here! I'm a walker, fresh off the Chip N Dale race yesterday, now ready to focus on the princess. CAN NOT WAIT for this race! I read somewhere that someone said this race was the most fun of all the Disney races she'd done.

How frequently are you all walking each week? One thing I struggled with during the holiday season was making time for my training, and I walked into this weekend way undertrained... would like to step it up a bit for the Princess and perhaps improve on my W&D time (3:32). Just curious what everyone is doing...

Keep it up all!!

After running this past weekend, I will say that the volunteers and race staff do EVERYTHING they can to help you get to that finish line, even if you're off pace. If you go in with a bit of training so your legs are ready for the distance and length of time, you should be fine. I think the race organizers realize that people will want to do things like stop for photo ops with characters on the side of the road, so they allow for a bit of extra time. The Disney races are by far the most beginner friendly and fun distance events I've run. I mean really, who smiles during a half marathon? Just about everyone at a Disney event.

My big advice going into the race is not to worry about it-- don't outdo your own pace in fear of the sag wagon (which you won't see until later in the race, or hopefully never!). And definitely just go out and have the goal to finish and have fun.

Oh- quick tip I'm not sure has been mentioned yet... they measure the pace after the last runner has cleared the finish line, not the first. So you'll have a bit of a buffer built in depending upon where you start.

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Hello Princess Half Walkers! I love that you have a solo thread here! I'm a walker, fresh off the Chip N Dale race yesterday, now ready to focus on the princess. CAN NOT WAIT for this race! I read somewhere that someone said this race was the most fun of all the Disney races she'd done.

How frequently are you all walking each week? One thing I struggled with during the holiday season was making time for my training, and I walked into this weekend way undertrained... would like to step it up a bit for the Princess and perhaps improve on my W&D time (3:32). Just curious what everyone is doing...

Keep it up all!!

Hi Megny! Welcome! I doing daily walks on my elliptical trainer Mon to Friday, and doing an outdoor walk on Saturday. I started training a little late so my initial goal was just to start and finish under my own power.

I am now comfortably walking at at 16min/mile pace so I recently changed my training so that I am "running" Mon to Thurs on the elliptical. I take Friday off and then do a long brisk walk outdoors on Saturday. I'm aiming for a 7 mile walk this weekend coming up (provided the weather holds because I'm in Ontario Canada)

I'd like to finish quicker than my estimated time of 3:30 but I plan to enjoy as much of the event as I can.

After running this past weekend, I will say that the volunteers and race staff do EVERYTHING they can to help you get to that finish line, even if you're off pace. If you go in with a bit of training so your legs are ready for the distance and length of time, you should be fine. I think the race organizers realize that people will want to do things like stop for photo ops with characters on the side of the road, so they allow for a bit of extra time. The Disney races are by far the most beginner friendly and fun distance events I've run. I mean really, who smiles during a half marathon? Just about everyone at a Disney event.

My big advice going into the race is not to worry about it-- don't outdo your own pace in fear of the sag wagon (which you won't see until later in the race, or hopefully never!). And definitely just go out and have the goal to finish and have fun.

Oh- quick tip I'm not sure has been mentioned yet... they measure the pace after the last runner has cleared the finish line, not the first. So you'll have a bit of a buffer built in depending upon where you start.

Thanks PrincessRhi! All the blogs I've read and other material from Run Disney etc, it really seems beginner friendly. I'm relieved to hear that I can just go out, enjoy and finish under my own power to get my medal :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter