Pride month at Disney...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Corporations don’t go all out on theses other months. I can’t remember German American month ever being shoved in my face. I doubt 99% of Americans have heard of most of those.
Actually we do have a German festival every single year. It's just not called that. Ever hear of Oktoberfest? This year it is September 16, through October 3.

Corporations don’t go all out on theses other months. I can’t remember German American month ever being shoved in my face. I doubt 99% of Americans have heard of most of those.
I'm curious... do you have a problem with Disney "shoving" Christmas in your face? I mean, they decorate all the resorts and parks, have special merchandise, if not food, right? If not, why not?

Guessing you won't answer.

There is a gay section on the dis. I would think it would be better discussed there to reach it’s target audience. In fact, it’s surprising the moderators don’t move the thread to that section. That’s normal protocol on most boards, that is to move threads to the appropriate location.

I don’t care if it’s moved or not. I’m just saying it probably should be and normally would be and you could read about it there. If singles groups were discussed on this section that should be moved as well. And probably would be.

What’s a cis person.

It doesn’t bother me.

Then what’s the point of sub sections.

You don't care at all, to the tune of 5 or more posts in a little over a page.

Last edited:

Irish American Heritage for the month of March. Some people refer to it as St Patrick's Day, usually lasting a month, starting late February, ending early April. I'm Irish, and I know it is in my face for weeks, including dying the Chicago River St. Patrick's Green, which is great Corporations do go all out, at least here in Chicago, as does the city itself. However, I don't think the actual state of Florida will go all out for Pride Month.

Huge Chicago Pride Parade here on June 25th. I think that parade is now bigger that our St. Patrick's Day parade, which has been huge like forever.

SMK_PrideParade2022Export-198.jpg
history-of-dyeing-the-chicago-river-green.png

Because there is money to be made out of pride. There is no money to be made out of German American month unless you produce something German-y.

Same goes for minorities. It's a business model. You have to look at the company whether or not they just join for the money or if they actually mean it.

There is a gay section on the dis. I would think it would be better discussed there to reach its target audience. In fact, it’s surprising the moderators don’t move the thread to that section. That’s normal protocol on most boards, that is to move threads to the appropriate location.
I’m a bisexual woman, a mom to a Hispanic child, married to a man, traveling to Disney in June.

Where exactly should I go to to talk about my pride month visit to not make people uncomfortable with my very existence?

Wait. Shoot. I forgot for a minute that’s not my job. But I’m sure an overzealous gatekeeper will show up soon.

What makes it too much is that parents are spending LOTS of money to have a family vacation at Disney which used to cater to the family. The Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique is another high-priced added expense to the total cost of a Disney vacation if one chooses to participate. This (I guess you would call it) attraction is geared for children so why do we have to dress a man as a woman? If the person didn't have a mustache, it wouldn't have been so noticeable ergo maybe no questions. Why should parents/grandparents be put in the position of having to answer questions about sexuality while on a family vacation? I wonder what Walt would think. I do believe it was Walt's hope/dream to develop a family friendly park where he would want to take his girls and to give other families the same opportunity.

To the person who asked about different hair styles for different types of hair, I'm pretty sure they only have a very limited selections of hairstyles (2-3 maybe). They all include tons of glitter and hair spray. Be prepared to wash your child's hair multiple times to get it all out.

As far as women wearing slack versus dress, that is not same thing at all.

Old news to you maybe but not to me or those guests who encounter the new inclusive policy. I guess I'm not as up to date on all things Disney as you seem to be, nor are a lot of other folks who wanted to enjoy a nice day at the park.
Disney can and will do what they want but at some point, if they continue to stay the course they currently seem to be on, they will eventually push just a little too far. When that happens, they will either have to walk it back or face a decline in visitors aka revenue which is all it's about these days.

Bottom line for me, they can paint all the rainbows they want and make all the pretty drinks and deserts with rainbow colors. I happen to love rainbows although maybe not for the same reasons as others. I just think that the BBB was just a little too far for me. If you're ok with it, that's great. Different strokes for different folks. Peace brothers and sisters, enjoy the rest of your day. May your world be filled with rainbows. Happy times. pixiedust:

Some families have no concern and some families do. I think you know that. I'm guessing the later is the majortiy.

I'm not sure why we need to take a month celebrate someones sexual choices. There are so many more worthy things to celebrate.
I find it sad that for some people, love is about sex only. I'm guessing that's the case for you? There's no romance, weddings, partnership, Disney adventures, shared meals, beach vacations, shared TV shows, etc? Seems kind of awful to view life through that lens

What does cis stand for exactly (what does each letter mean) and who / when was this name assigned to the straight community?

It seems to me that several years back Sept was when gay pride was celebrated at WDW. Am I remembering this wrong?
The prefix 'cis' comes from the Latin for 'on this side,' and is generally used by the trans community to refer to a person who is not trans. I should have stated that instead of just saying, 'straight.' That was incorrect. It's a more polite way of saying 'not trans.' Hope that helps you.

Where exactly should I go to to talk about my pride month visit to not make people uncomfortable with my very existence?
You can certainly come here, CBM. I've seen trip reports on the CB here over the years. Any topic is fine here, just be friendly. I think almost all people here would be just fine, comfortable. A very few uncomfortable maybe, but that's their issues.

Because there is money to be made out of pride. There is no money to be made out of German American month unless you produce something German-y.

Same goes for minorities. It's a business model. You have to look at the company whether or not they just join for the money or if they actually mean it.

Octoberfest is a big thing in the US with beer companies, cities promoting festivals, etc. There's money made every year.

Helen, Georgia is built in the style of German architecture. People flock there every year all year. There are several other towns in the US like that.

https://www.housebeautiful.com/lifestyle/g4384/american-towns-that-look-like-europe/

The prefix 'cis' comes from the Latin for 'on this side,' and is generally used by the trans community to refer to a person who is not trans. I should have stated that instead of just saying, 'straight.' That was incorrect. It's a more polite way of saying 'not trans.' Hope that helps you.

Thanks for that information. I looked up the Latin word for "on this side" which led me to look up the word cisgender. It appears that this word was first used in 1994 and first appeared in the dictionary in 2015. So, in 1994 I was very busy with my family and full-time job and had no interest or reason to know about this new term being used to refer to a heterosexual person. Since this is a relatively new term it's no wonder I and probably many others are not familiar with it. I was perfectly happy with heterosexual; I don't need or want a new term to label my sexuality.

cis·gen·der
[sisˈjendər]

ADJECTIVE
  1. denoting or relating to a person whose gender identity corresponds with the sex registered for them at birth; not transgender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter