Price Increases Mid January

'Thank You DVC, I understand and agree.'

'Glad this is happening, it is a solid property management decision'.

'' I actually love this'
'me too'

The latest posts on the subject on the DVC Neighborhood.

I'm losing the will to live.
You’ve got to get out lol! I deleted my Twitter acct for similar reasons. The sheep were pushing me towards clinical depression.

I'm not at all trying to defend Disney here, just trying to make sense of their reasoning. Please feel free to poke as many holes in this thought process as possible. I just can't imagine they want to go from being one of the top timeshare companies out there to one that wants a large portion of their customers to either be saddled with debt or enter foreclosure because the resale value of their contracts moves to essentially nothing right after they buy in. That's possible, but it's quite the about face not just for DVC, but for Disney as a corporation.

This could potentially be a defensive move by Disney, not an aggressive one. They are opening up two new resorts in the coming years, and have to justify selling at higher and higher prices. At the same time, the existing contracts are moving closer to their expiration dates, and eventually prices will start dipping. It is possible that they fear people will be comparing $250 a point at the Reflections resort to $75 per point for BRV resale contracts 7 years from now. Considering that most people own DVC for only 10 years or so, buying close to expiring points and then using them at new resorts would actually be a good plan under today's system. By restricting those resale buyers, Disney can make it easier to justify their high buy-in cost to get into the newest resorts.

I'm not at all trying to defend Disney here, just trying to make sense of their reasoning. Please feel free to poke as many holes in this thought process as possible. I just can't imagine they want to go from being one of the top timeshare companies out there to one that wants a large portion of their customers to either be saddled with debt or enter foreclosure because the resale value of their contracts moves to essentially nothing right after they buy in. That's possible, but it's quite the about face not just for DVC, but for Disney as a corporation.

This could potentially be a defensive move by Disney, not an aggressive one. They are opening up two new resorts in the coming years, and have to justify selling at higher and higher prices. At the same time, the existing contracts are moving closer to their expiration dates, and eventually prices will start dipping. It is possible that they fear people will be comparing $250 a point at the Reflections resort to $75 per point for BRV resale contracts 7 years from now. Considering that most people own DVC for only 10 years or so, buying close to expiring points and then using them at new resorts would actually be a good plan under today's system. By restricting those resale buyers, Disney can make it easier to justify their high buy-in cost to get into the newest resorts.
Personally I did think of this myself. Plus it’s possible as those resorts age they will not be “nice” anymore. So cheap points will flood newer resorts.

Though there perhaps could have been better choices to acheive something similar.

'' I actually love this'
'me too'

How does anyone know for sure that these comments are from actual DVC owners and not just some Disney shills? I don't trust anything on Facebook no matter what it is, unless it is from a person I actually know or have actually met outside of the internet. Lots of hidden and not-so-hidden agendas out there.

I understand this perspective. What I’m really disappointed in is the new resale policy. One of the best aspects/selling features of DVC is being able to trade into other resorts. It adds a high degree of flexibility in one’s traveling plans. If I can’t get into one resort at the time I want to travel, I have the option of trying at other resorts.

I understand this perspective. What I’m really disappointed in is the new resale policy. One of the best aspects/selling features of DVC is being able to trade into other resorts. It adds a high degree of flexibility in one’s traveling plans. If I can’t get into one resort at the time I want to travel, I have the option of trying at other resorts.

Yeah the Riviera resale people only being able to book at Riviera is a huge change. I almost don't believe that that one will come out from DVC as is it is currently being reported. It just goes against everything they have done in the past, and with higher prices than ever before.

Yeah the Riviera resale people only being able to book at Riviera is a huge change. I almost don't believe that that one will come out from DVC as is it is currently being reported. It just goes against everything they have done in the past, and with higher prices than ever before.
I guess the fact that riviera resale can only trade into riviera has yet to be confirmed. Will be interesting to see how DVC presents it at the release of the resort information.

I guess the fact that riviera resale can only trade into riviera has yet to be confirmed. Will be interesting to see how DVC presents it at the release of the resort information.

Correct--it does not explicitly state this in the official announcement--see below:

Update to Disney Vacation Club Resort Access for Contracts Not Purchased Directly from Disney

Effective January 19, 2019, only Members who purchase directly from Disney will be able to use their Vacation Points at the 14 existing Disney Vacation Club Resorts or future Resorts—such as Disney’s Riviera Resort or Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge. Resale contracts purchased for the existing 14 Disney Vacation Club Resorts will only be able to exchange Points into those 14 Resorts.

This change does not apply to contracts purchased prior to January 19, 2019. Contracts gifted to family members will continue to have the same Resort access as before the ownership transfer.

The eligibility rules for Membership Extras and RCI access remain unchanged.

The Buena Vista Trading Company Disclosure Guide has been amended accordingly.

Yeah, the wording there is odd. It seems redundant. They said the same thing twice in the first paragraph. That makes me wonder if they have something up their sleeve for Riviera that they haven't announced yet. Surely they will have to sweeten the pot to make up for the loss of resale value on Riviera contracts right?

Yeah, the wording there is odd. It seems redundant. They said the same thing twice in the first paragraph. That makes me wonder if they have something up their sleeve for Riviera that they haven't announced yet. Surely they will have to sweeten the pot to make up for the loss of resale value on Riviera contracts right?

Free Dining :rotfl2:

Free Dining :rotfl2:

Boo lol. Seriously when we go we eat most of our meals in the room. I know a lot of people don't like to cook on vacation but it really just works better for our family. I mean we eat out more than we do at home of course but we have breakfast in the room, stuff for sandwiches and snacks and such, and if we have the kids with us and rented a 1 bdrm then we cook most of our dinners in the room too.

Free dining wouldn't interest us in the least.

Boo lol. Seriously when we go we eat most of our meals in the room. I know a lot of people don't like to cook on vacation but it really just works better for our family. I mean we eat out more than we do at home of course but we have breakfast in the room, stuff for sandwiches and snacks and such, and if we have the kids with us and rented a 1 bdrm then we cook most of our dinners in the room too.

Free dining wouldn't interest us in the least.

Lol - Exactly why Disney would do it.

I agree though... Making meals in the room is part of what helps with the cost savings associated with DVC and timeshares in general.

Lol - Exactly why Disney would do it.

I agree though... Making meals in the room is part of what helps with the cost savings associated with DVC and timeshares in general.

Heck, I would rather spend more on renting a room with a kitchen than on food anyway. A few years ago we went down for 10 days. We spent the first 3 days in a studio at OKW then my parents joined us and we moved to a 2 bedroom at SSR. Even with breakfast in the room and sandwiches and things by the time we switched to SSR my system nearly cried in relief at the real food we had for dinner that night.

I just don't want to eat QS for more than a day or two and TS is too expensive and takes too long to eat all the time. It really just works better for us to cook in the room which is another reason why DVC has been so appealing to us.

'' I actually love this'
'me too'

They say this till they have a life "issue" and have to sell, and get 25 cents on the dollar for the thousands they have spent.

So I have a question. Based on the wording provided by DVC, if you buy resale after January 19th, are you only allowed to stay in the resort you purchased?!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter