Pre-Nights Alaska?

Just chiming in to say that my DH and I stayed at the Denali Backcountry Lodge cabins (same owner as kenai wilderness) and it was one of the highlights of our trip. Less than 5% of Denali visitors go all the way to the back of the park. It’s incredible back there. Wonder lake in particular is just gorgeous. We bused in and flew out. Highly recommend.

We are staying at kenai wilderness for the first time in late June.

You can book directly: https://www.alaskacollection.com/lodging/denali-backcountry-lodge/

I was just reading more about the Denali Backcountry Lodge! - I would LOVE to do it, but I already know I will get pushback from DH and DS13 about the length of the bus ride. I may have to put this on my bucket list and do it with my sister at some point.

I'm going to reach out to Pursuits to see if we could end our ABD with Kenai Wilderness or Seward Windsong!

Be aware that many of the Denali busses are not running this season -

https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm

We have already had one (relatively) minor change to our itinerary involving the train schedules. I was certainly grateful that I had booked through Pursuits, since they took care of all the changes for me. It was clear when I looked at the scheduled that they were scaled back for this year.

Would you mind sharing your Alaska itinerary with me? I got in touch with Pursuits and they said they aren't doing their packages this year due to major changes with non-Pursuit owned vendors and sites, however they offered to check availability at their lodges (Denali, Kenai, Talkeetna). I think I'm going to see if I can book Seward Windsong Lodge and the fjords tour after the ABD (if there is availability), but the Denali Lodge and the cabins sound VERY interesting! Just curious what you have put together!

That’s odd...when I called back in March, they were offering discounts for booking multi-night stays. I’m not sure if what I have booked is technically a package. From my understanding, everything was booked individually, I just made one initial payment and one final payment to pursuits. They did customize this itinerary for me.

The full itinerary is 17 pages, so I did a screen shot of our confirmation (only 2 pages). This shows everything that Pursuits booked for us. I also booked a float trip in Talkeetna directly with that operator.

As a side note, every one of our excursions, you could book on your own through the tour operator's website. I think the real value with Pursuits is in them coordinating the lodging and transportation.

Attachments

• 739FDFBF-C10C-4059-9D06-73AEB982ADEF.jpeg
    739FDFBF-C10C-4059-9D06-73AEB982ADEF.jpeg
    56.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 6EDB27E5-8966-4A3E-9728-DE10A4FA214A.jpeg
    6EDB27E5-8966-4A3E-9728-DE10A4FA214A.jpeg
    21 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Just chiming in to say that my DH and I stayed at the Denali Backcountry Lodge cabins (same owner as kenai wilderness) and it was one of the highlights of our trip. Less than 5% of Denali visitors go all the way to the back of the park. It’s incredible back there. Wonder lake in particular is just gorgeous. We bused in and flew out. Highly recommend.

We are staying at kenai wilderness for the first time in late June.

You can book directly: https://www.alaskacollection.com/lodging/denali-backcountry-lodge/

So, it's a "call to book". When I called, I got a Pursuits agent who offered to book the whole trip for us, not just the lodging. So, I never really asked for a "package".

Hi! We are considering booking the Alaska ABD in early August and will be traveling from the US east coast. I think we would fly in about 2 or 3 days early just to adapt to the time change and I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations of hotels or resorts to stay in for pre-nights? I looked at the ABD starting point - Marriott in Anchorage - and I would rather go someplace close to Anchorage (maybe no more than an hour away) that might offer us an opportunity to experience something that won't be included in the tour. Or is there enough to do in downtown Anchorage to fill the time? The Marriott doesn't look very scenic, LOL!
We did the ABD in Alaska in 2017 and LOVED the entire trip!!! We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Anchorage as we are members of the IHG group. We used points. The HIE we stayed had airport shuttle service and was very very close to Lake Hood (within walking distance). Our first night we rented a pilot and float plane to see the wild buffalo and mud flats around Anchorage. Our pilot also took us to see some remote dwellings from the air. (Much like some TV shows you see.) We did not book with a specific company but just met someone with his own small company and went with him. He called his wife to delay dinner for a couple hours and took us flying. He said the $200.00 we paid would work for a really nice dinner!! He was a great guy and his wife was so nice. We spent time walking around the lake and just watching the planes. (Remember is does not get dark until about 2 in the morning.) We ate "dinner" (very late dinner) after our flight and walk at a great mom and pop pizza place. Yum - so good. The next morning we got up very early and flew to Prudoe Bay (aka Dead Horse) on our way to Barrow. (This is where the pipeline begins.) We got fogged in for almost two hours and then went on to Barrow. (The fog in was very educational and we met some really interesting folks. Everyone openly carries firearms even in the airport. I use the word airport loosly. The entire waiting area and TSA space is about the size of half a small school gym if that. (Note: When fogged in I asked to get off the plane and explore. The stewardess said "no problem". Well, it was a huge problem. TSA was NOT happy I was allowed off the plane. It was worth the hassle but I would not try it again though. I was put through the wringer about getting off the plane as were a couple other folks that followed my lead!! A young man told us that Dead Horse has ouchy TSA folks. lol. I assure had I not been given permission I would have not taken one step off that plane.) After delay - on to Barrow. Barrow is an experience like no other. No trees, no grass, just mud and utilities running above ground. By luck we spoke to a lady that was born and raised in Barrow although she had spent time on the east coast at Brown. She spent the day with us giving us a tour of all things Barrow. She was so amazing and we will be forever grateful for her "tour" and insight on this part of the USA. We saw where they bring in whales for whaling week in May and September. Went to a grocery to check prices etc. Went to a store that carried hunting gear etc. Spent time a small museum. Went to the Point Barrow (the northern most point in the western hemisphere), went to the schools, went to the fields where they do a lot of scientific study, saw where we have a military presence, went to where they have the underground cellars for the whale meat and met some amazing people. We ate at Top of the World at the Top of the World Hotel. The enjoyed the most amazing breakfast for dinner that one could imagine. Then it was time for the Polar Plunge. The water was 27 degrees and the air was 38. Words can't describe - just amazing. The water was so salty and this is why it does not freeze until it is 22 degrees. No way was I leaving without my "i did the Polar Plunge certificate". Once in a lifetime for sure. The folks at Top of the World allowed me to use the bathroom to dry my hair and return to dry clothes. (I took plastic bags for our swim suits.) The kids at the Top of the World thought it was so funny someone my age would do the Plunge. Some young guys from England laughed the whole time and wanted pics after I did the plunge. It was a quick pic. It was COLD!!! (PS. My 40 year old son would not do the Plunge. Chicken. :worship: ) We flew back to Anchorage the same night. The next morning we got up and took the shuttle back to the airport to meet our ABD group. We traveled from Ohio via Detroit Metro to Seattle then the Anchorage. Such an amazing trip and the fun activities we did prior really added to our vacation. I could go on and on about each aspect of the trip!!! I know you will have a great time. :cool1::cool1::cool1:

That’s odd...when I called back in March, they were offering discounts for booking multi-night stays. I’m not sure if what I have booked is technically a package. From my understanding, everything was booked individually, I just made one initial payment and one final payment to pursuits. They did customize this itinerary for me.

The full itinerary is 17 pages, so I did a screen shot of our confirmation (only 2 pages). This shows everything that Pursuits booked for us. I also booked a float trip in Talkeetna directly with that operator.

As a side note, every one of our excursions, you could book on your own through the tour operator's website. I think the real value with Pursuits is in them coordinating the lodging and transportation.

Wow! Thank you so much for this! Hmm - I did ask for a package, so maybe that is the difference. It looks like they don't have any availability for our pre- or post-dates in Kenai, so I'm going to have to come up with another plan.
We did the ABD in Alaska in 2017 and LOVED the entire trip!!! We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Anchorage as we are members of the IHG group. We used points. The HIE we stayed had airport shuttle service and was very very close to Lake Hood (within walking distance). Our first night we rented a pilot and float plane to see the wild buffalo and mud flats around Anchorage. Our pilot also took us to see some remote dwellings from the air. (Much like some TV shows you see.) We did not book with a specific company but just met someone with his own small company and went with him. He called his wife to delay dinner for a couple hours and took us flying. He said the $200.00 we paid would work for a really nice dinner!! He was a great guy and his wife was so nice. We spent time walking around the lake and just watching the planes. (Remember is does not get dark until about 2 in the morning.) We ate "dinner" (very late dinner) after our flight and walk at a great mom and pop pizza place. Yum - so good. The next morning we got up very early and flew to Prudoe Bay (aka Dead Horse) on our way to Barrow. (This is where the pipeline begins.) We got fogged in for almost two hours and then went on to Barrow. (The fog in was very educational and we met some really interesting folks. Everyone openly carries firearms even in the airport. I use the word airport loosly. The entire waiting area and TSA space is about the size of half a small school gym if that. (Note: When fogged in I asked to get off the plane and explore. The stewardess said "no problem". Well, it was a huge problem. TSA was NOT happy I was allowed off the plane. It was worth the hassle but I would not try it again though. I was put through the wringer about getting off the plane as were a couple other folks that followed my lead!! A young man told us that Dead Horse has ouchy TSA folks. lol. I assure had I not been given permission I would have not taken one step off that plane.) After delay - on to Barrow. Barrow is an experience like no other. No trees, no grass, just mud and utilities running above ground. By luck we spoke to a lady that was born and raised in Barrow although she had spent time on the east coast at Brown. She spent the day with us giving us a tour of all things Barrow. She was so amazing and we will be forever grateful for her "tour" and insight on this part of the USA. We saw where they bring in whales for whaling week in May and September. Went to a grocery to check prices etc. Went to a store that carried hunting gear etc. Spent time a small museum. Went to the Point Barrow (the northern most point in the western hemisphere), went to the schools, went to the fields where they do a lot of scientific study, saw where we have a military presence, went to where they have the underground cellars for the whale meat and met some amazing people. We ate at Top of the World at the Top of the World Hotel. The enjoyed the most amazing breakfast for dinner that one could imagine. Then it was time for the Polar Plunge. The water was 27 degrees and the air was 38. Words can't describe - just amazing. The water was so salty and this is why it does not freeze until it is 22 degrees. No way was I leaving without my "i did the Polar Plunge certificate". Once in a lifetime for sure. The folks at Top of the World allowed me to use the bathroom to dry my hair and return to dry clothes. (I took plastic bags for our swim suits.) The kids at the Top of the World thought it was so funny someone my age would do the Plunge. Some young guys from England laughed the whole time and wanted pics after I did the plunge. It was a quick pic. It was COLD!!! (PS. My 40 year old son would not do the Plunge. Chicken. :worship: ) We flew back to Anchorage the same night. The next morning we got up and took the shuttle back to the airport to meet our ABD group. We traveled from Ohio via Detroit Metro to Seattle then the Anchorage. Such an amazing trip and the fun activities we did prior really added to our vacation. I could go on and on about each aspect of the trip!!! I know you will have a great time. :cool1::cool1::cool1:

WOW! You are BRAVE! That sounds like an amazing experience!

If you are not afraid of small planes, spend a day to see the bears at Katmai NP.

See the Live Bear Cam below, but today it is showing only old highlights:

Brooks Falls - Katmai National Park, Alaska powered by EXPLORE.org - YouTube

-Paul

I AM afraid of small planes, but I just might have to do this. Since it looks like Kenai isn't happening, maybe we will fly into Anchorage early and do this - thank you!

It looks like there is no availability pre- or post-ABD to stay in Seward to do a fjords cruise. I also looked into arriving in Anchorage early to do the small plane flight to see bears, but I can't find any availability for that either!

Here's a question - if I can't round out the ABD either pre- or post-tour, should we still go? Or should we wait until next year and start planning sooner? Ugh - I was a little late in booking everything! I really didn't think we would be traveling this summer but it looks like we can now and I'm having trouble finding places that still have openings.

It looks like there is no availability pre- or post-ABD to stay in Seward to do a fjords cruise. I also looked into arriving in Anchorage early to do the small plane flight to see bears, but I can't find any availability for that either!

Here's a question - if I can't round out the ABD either pre- or post-tour, should we still go? Or should we wait until next year and start planning sooner? Ugh - I was a little late in booking everything! I really didn't think we would be traveling this summer but it looks like we can now and I'm having trouble finding places that still have openings.
It's a big issue this summer. LOTS of people in the same situation as you, so there's definitely a shortage. I'm traveling to the American Southwest in October, and have been having some issues even then.

Have you asked ABD if they can book pre- and/or post-days for you in Anchorage at the hotel ABD stays at?

Sayhello

It's a big issue this summer. LOTS of people in the same situation as you, so there's definitely a shortage. I'm traveling to the American Southwest in October, and have been having some issues even then.

Have you asked ABD if they can book pre- and/or post-days for you in Anchorage at the hotel ABD stays at?

Sayhello

I haven't asked ABD yet. I think I'm going to call Pursuits to see if they have any options for a day trip from Anchorage. They have a few listed on their site, but based on the e-mail I received from them regarding changes with their vendors, I'm not terribly optimistic. If I can find one extra activity, pre- or post-ABD, that would be great! Honestly, because of the issues we are all facing with availability, I will probably book the ABD regardless as, if I don't, I'm afraid we will have nowhere to go! I'm of the feeling, now, that any Alaska will be better than no Alaska this summer!!

I haven't asked ABD yet. I think I'm going to call Pursuits to see if they have any options for a day trip from Anchorage. They have a few listed on their site, but based on the e-mail I received from them regarding changes with their vendors, I'm not terribly optimistic. If I can find one extra activity, pre- or post-ABD, that would be great! Honestly, because of the issues we are all facing with availability, I will probably book the ABD regardless as, if I don't, I'm afraid we will have nowhere to go! I'm of the feeling, now, that any Alaska will be better than no Alaska this summer!!
Have you considered Fairbanks? It’s an hour flight from Anchorage with a few flights each day. You could take the early morning flight up on AbD departure day when they’ll get you to the airport. There are some flight seeing options out of Fairbanks to more northern areas of Alaska. Also some sights to see around that area. Might find some availability there that is not in Anchorage.

You could also go in to Fairbanks the weekend before, there are direct flights through Seattle also.

Also are you looking at a Monday or a Thursday departure for your AbD?

Last edited:
Have you considered Fairbanks? It’s an hour flight from Anchorage with a few flights each day. You could take the early morning flight up on AbD departure day when they’ll get you to the airport. There are some flight seeing options out of Fairbanks to more northern areas of Alaska. Also some sights to see around that area. Might find some availability there that is not in Anchorage.

You could also go in to Fairbanks the weekend before, there are direct flights through Seattle also.

Also are you looking at a Monday or a Thursday departure for your AbD?

I like this idea!! Thank you! I will definitely check Fairbanks out! We are looking at a Monday departure.

I like this idea!! Thank you! I will definitely check Fairbanks out! We are looking at a Monday departure.

Here you go - trips to view Aurora Borealis are a possibility in August -

https://www.explorefairbanks.com/
Also, @sayhello has a nice trip report from the original Alaska itinerary that included Fairbanks, for some hotel and other ideas.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/t...last-frontier-part-1-image-intensive.2294383/
And, if you can get lucky & get a car rental for a day, you could drive out to North Pole or out to see some of the Alaska Pipeline.

Here you go - trips to view Aurora Borealis are a possibility in August -

https://www.explorefairbanks.com/
Also, @sayhello has a nice trip report from the original Alaska itinerary that included Fairbanks, for some hotel and other ideas.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/t...last-frontier-part-1-image-intensive.2294383/
And, if you can get lucky & get a car rental for a day, you could drive out to North Pole or out to see some of the Alaska Pipeline.

Oh wow! I would love to see the Aurora Borealis - thank you so much!

Second or third the railway ride down to Seward and back. Awesome. I know you don't have time, but we self-drove from ANC to Fairbanks, stopping at Denali and other places enroute, and then drove from Fairbanks north to the Arctic Circle and then all the way to the end of the road at Prudhoe Bay at the Arctic Ocean. It was an epic drive. We then drove back to Seward and dropped off the car, and then caught a southbound RCCL cruise to Vancouver.

Second or third the railway ride down to Seward and back. Awesome. I know you don't have time, but we self-drove from ANC to Fairbanks, stopping at Denali and other places enroute, and then drove from Fairbanks north to the Arctic Circle and then all the way to the end of the road at Prudhoe Bay at the Arctic Ocean. It was an epic drive. We then drove back to Seward and dropped off the car, and then caught a southbound RCCL cruise to Vancouver.

WOW!!! That sounds amazing! I would LOVE to do that!

I was just reading more about the Denali Backcountry Lodge! - I would LOVE to do it, but I already know I will get pushback from DH and DS13 about the length of the bus ride. I may have to put this on my bucket list and do it with my sister at some point.

I'm going to reach out to Pursuits to see if we could end our ABD with Kenai Wilderness or Seward Windsong!
I was really worried about the length of the bus ride. It actually felt faster than it is --- there are multiple stops, scenery changes, animal sightings. We did fly out, which I also recommend - totally different view point. You can fly in and out btw - skip the bus entirely but then you really miss seeing most of the park. There were teens on the bus with us and they were engaged when we'd see bears, moose, etc - and then would go back to their headphones. :)

The scenery on the train from Anchorage to Seward was spectacular, and I highly recommend the Gold Star service.

Also, Kenai Fjords Wilderness Lodge on Fox Island is a bucket-list destination. I can’t even express how happy I am that we stayed here. It’s like another world.

The scenery on the train from Anchorage to Seward was spectacular, and I highly recommend the Gold Star service.

Also, Kenai Fjords Wilderness Lodge on Fox Island is a bucket-list destination. I can’t even express how happy I am that we stayed here. It’s like another world.
I am so excited to stay there for the first time in a few weeks! Your post made me even more excited.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter