***Post your questions and experiences with Coronavirus-related canceling/rescheduling of resort reservations here***

We have a RO for may 13 - 21 that will be easy to cancel. Does anyone know about canceling after hours tickets? We bought our 8 day park hoppers ticket through undercover tourist. The 90 days for refund has passed. Has anyone heard if the are making refund exceptions on tickets.

I'm booked at the Dolphin and I can modify my tickets. I can't modify the resort, but I can get a refund on the resort through Costco. If I do have to change it I'll just cancel my room through Costco, modify my tickets to the new date and book a room through Disney or directly through Dolphin.
Gotcha. Sorry; I was confused when you wrote "modify my resort tickets."

What you suggested is what I mentioned in my original post. The problem with canceling the Costco package and re-booking directly with the Swan is that the direct room rate is much more expensive than the Costco room rate, so I'm trying to find out if it's possible to just modify the dates of my existing package through Costco so that I don't have to pay $1500-$2K extra to move my dates.

Gotcha. Sorry; I was confused when you wrote "modify my resort tickets."

What you suggested is what I mentioned in my original post. The problem with canceling the Costco package and re-booking directly with the Swan is that the direct room rate is much more expensive than the Costco room rate, so I'm trying to find out if it's possible to just modify the dates of my existing package through Costco so that I don't have to pay $1500-$2K extra to move my dates.
Gotcha. I'll rebook for June if it comes to that. I haven't even looked at Swan and Dolphin rates down the road yet. I'll either book at the Swalphin or whatever WDW resorts fit in my budget. If I can get a great rate at a Deluxe in the Fall maybe I'll hold off for that. At times like these, I figure I can adapt and overcome. In the meantime, I'm counting on being there on April 29th

We have a RO for may 13 - 21 that will be easy to cancel. Does anyone know about canceling after hours tickets? We bought our 8 day park hoppers ticket through undercover tourist. The 90 days for refund has passed. Has anyone heard if the are making refund exceptions on tickets.
I had my after-hours tickets automatically cancelled by Undercover Tourist. Haven't checked my card statement yet, but I assume they were refunded directly.

So sorry if this question has been answered elsewhere already. We rented points for late April from the DVC Rental Store. Recognizing they are likely swamped I tried to cancel my trip and they want to charge me $4.00 a point, this is with my Protection Plan. Any folks from March encounter this situation? Were these “fees” waived when Disney announced its closure? If I wait until next week it goes up to $8.00 a point! I’m not sure what to do... I can’t afford either scenario but the latter is obviously worse! All the stress of the world and this is putting me over the edge. Any helpful advice would be appreciated, thank you and sorry to everyone who has to cancel/postpone their magical trips.

So sorry if this question has been answered elsewhere already. We rented points for late April from the DVC Rental Store. Recognizing they are likely swamped I tried to cancel my trip and they want to charge me $4.00 a point, this is with my Protection Plan. Any folks from March encounter this situation? Were these “fees” waived when Disney announced its closure? If I wait until next week it goes up to $8.00 a point! I’m not sure what to do... I can’t afford either scenario but the latter is obviously worse! All the stress of the world and this is putting me over the edge. Any helpful advice would be appreciated, thank you and sorry to everyone who has to cancel/postpone their magical trips.
You are very fortunate that you purchased the Protection Plan. People in your situation who did not are in a very uncertain position; they might be able to get a rescheduled trip for a later date, they might get nothing at all, or they might get some kind of partial refund if they are lucky; it all depends upon the status of the points returned to the owner and the goodwill of the owner and willingness to work with you. It is entirely possible that the points owner refuses to refund a penny.
One question is, would you go on your trip in the (somewhat unlikely) possibility of the resorts being reopened by the day of your trip? If so, AND if you paid for the trip by credit card, one option is to wait until late April, and if the resort you paid for is closed, ask for a full refund, which will probably not be forthcoming, in which case you should be able to dispute (chargeback) the charge with your credit card company, as you have the right to do anytime you pay for a product that ends up not being supplied. If you know that you will definitely not want to go, I would be inclined to invoke the Protection Plan while the penalty is still only $4 per point. If you do this, make SURE that you have a written record (or at the very least, a recorded phone call) of you invoking the cancellation option that the Protection Plan provides.

You are very fortunate that you purchased the Protection Plan. People in your situation who did not are in a very uncertain position; they might be able to get a rescheduled trip for a later date, they might get nothing at all, or they might get some kind of partial refund if they are lucky; it all depends upon the status of the points returned to the owner and the goodwill of the owner and willingness to work with you. It is entirely possible that the points owner refuses to refund a penny.
One question is, would you go on your trip in the (somewhat unlikely) possibility of the resorts being reopened by the day of your trip? If so, AND if you paid for the trip by credit card, one option is to wait until late April, and if the resort you paid for is closed, ask for a full refund, which will probably not be forthcoming, in which case you should be able to dispute (chargeback) the charge with your credit card company, as you have the right to do anytime you pay for a product that ends up not being supplied. If you know that you will definitely not want to go, I would be inclined to invoke the Protection Plan while the penalty is still only $4 per point. If you do this, make SURE that you have a written record (or at the very least, a recorded phone call) of you invoking the cancellation option that the Protection Plan provides.

EXCEPT the contract that the poster signed says something about this being a non-refundable transaction. If I were the prior poster, I would invoke the $4/point protection plan. Then you'd get $15/point back (ish)

Current After Hour tickets for during the closure are being automatically refunded. I think you'll have to wait until the closure is extended to get the automatic refund.

People know going into renting DVC points it is non-refundable, no matter the circumstances. I think it is crummy to tell people to dispute the charge when they signed the contract fully aware of the restrictions and limitations.

People know going into renting DVC points it is non-refundable, no matter the circumstances. I think it is crummy to tell people to dispute the charge when they signed the contract fully aware of the restrictions and limitations.
There are many circumstances when something that is labeled as “non-refundable” is refunded. If I bought a concert ticket that had “no refunds” in the terms and conditions, and the concert was cancelled, I would still expect a refund, and if one was not offered I would dispute the charge. Also if I ordered a shirt online that was advertised as “final sale, no refunds”, and an empty box arrived, I would do the same thing. The credit card protection law applies whenever someone uses a credit card to pay for something and the goods or services that were paid for were never supplied. Which is why it’s a great idea to pay for things by credit card.

There are many circumstances when something that is labeled as “non-refundable” is refunded. If I bought a concert ticket that had “no refunds” in the terms and conditions, and the concert was cancelled, I would still expect a refund, and if one was not offered I would dispute the charge. Also if I ordered a shirt online that was advertised as “final sale, no refunds”, and an empty box arrived, I would do the same thing. The credit card protection law applies whenever someone uses a credit card to pay for something and the goods or services that were paid for were never supplied. Which is why it’s a great idea to pay for things by credit card.
Ok. :) I sure hope people will think twice before they rent DVC, and they understand the contract they are signing.

I also rented with DVC Rental Store for June and bought the PPP. I have until April 16th and will only pay $2.00 per point, then it goes to $4.00, then $8.00, then no refund. I hope to make a decision by early April, so I only lose the $200 - which is a good bit, so hopefully I can decide sooner than later. I am so glad I bought the PPP. There was a thread I was reading on FB with folks commenting, but I could not find it yesterday. I'm in a wait-and-see situation also (with everyone else). Good luck on your outcome!!

Ok. :) I sure hope people will think twice before they rent DVC, and they understand the contract they are signing.
EXCEPT the contract that the poster signed says something about this being a non-refundable transaction. If I were the prior poster, I would invoke the $4/point protection plan. Then you'd get $15/point back (ish)
I do understand that, but if the resort is closed and my trip is cancelled not by me does this still apply?

This is what I’m feeling. If the resort is closed what type of transaction is happening? Me just turning over money?

I do understand that, but if the resort is closed and my trip is cancelled not by me does this still apply?
I think what complicates the DVC point rental is that renters are not contracting directly with the provider of the ultimate product/service. The contract is between 2 people - or 1 person and an agency on behalf of the other person. Neither the rental agency nor the DVC owner has control over the situation. They didn't deny anyone access to the points, nor did they directly deny access to the expected product/service. I'm sure there's some legal issue in there somewhere, but it isn't as cut-and-dried as "you didn't provide what I paid you for, therefore you must refund me." The DVC owner becomes the loser. We may find fewer owners willing to rent in the future. I think this is a big lesson in being aware of contract terms and potential circumstances (even unexpected, or unthinkable circumstances).

Agree with lanejudy. If the renter has held the reservation for some time and cancels at the last moment then the DVC owner loses the points if they are near their expiry date. This may deter owners to rent in future. The only one that does not suffer financial loss is the rental agency

I think what complicates the DVC point rental is that renters are not contracting directly with the provider of the ultimate product/service. The contract is between 2 people - or 1 person and an agency on behalf of the other person. Neither the rental agency nor the DVC owner has control over the situation. They didn't deny anyone access to the points, nor did they directly deny access to the expected product/service. I'm sure there's some legal issue in there somewhere, but it isn't as cut-and-dried as "you didn't provide what I paid you for, therefore you must refund me." The DVC owner becomes the loser. We may find fewer owners willing to rent in the future. I think this is a big lesson in being aware of contract terms and potential circumstances (even unexpected, or unthinkable circumstances).
I do agree with you. I will be the first to admit I do not completely understand the in and outs of DVC... for some reason I have a severe mental block. I would be entirely open and willing to rent from the same member at a different time even this year. Does this seem like a fair deal to try to make for the member? Or is there other issues I need to be considering? This is my first time ever renting DVC points.

I do agree with you. I will be the first to admit I do not completely understand the in and outs of DVC... for some reason I have a severe mental block. I would be entirely open and willing to rent from the same member at a different time even this year. Does this seem like a fair deal to try to make for the member? Or is there other issues I need to be considering? This is my first time ever renting DVC points.

It depends on when their points expire. If they expire between now and when you want to go they likely won't go for it.

When I called to move my March 27th-April 4th trip I had a 49 minute phone call and the call was wonderful. The woman was nice and helpful, and I moved the trip with no fees at all obviously. I moved to October 31st-November 6th.

On the DVC boards are various threads discussing this issue. Most people posting are renting through another agency, but the issues are the same.

The biggest issue is related to the fact that DVC points have an expiration date, which is the end of the UY (Use Year). UY is sort of the fiscal year for points and varies by contract. Some owners who rented out points for March have an April UY, meaning their points from the previous year 2019 expire on March 31. So if a rental that was supposed to occur during these last two weeks of March when the resorts are closed was booked using 2019 April UY points, those points are gone as of March 31. That means the owner can’t use them for anything - the owner can’t book a new stay for the renter because the points are no good anymore. The renter loses the stay because the resort was closed, but the owner loses the value of the points. What’s to be done in that case? It’s a real conundrum!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter