Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

Not sure if I should put this in transportation or families category, but does Southwest have an age limit for the stroller not counting as a carry on? And can we check a single Bob stroller at the gate or does it have to be done at the ticket counter? Kids are age 4 and 6. So if 4 of us are traveling can we bring the following items to the gate: 4 carryons, 3 personal items, an umbrella stroller, a single Bob jogging stroller, and 2 FAA approved car seats for the kids to use on board?
I'm going to be honest here as a longtime traveler with kids, I've never seen a logical way for kids that age sit in a carseat on the airplane- it's a lapbelt only for air travel, different from the car. I can't think of a way that you can buckle them into seats that large,with kids that size and still have them fit their legs in the seat space. IMHO you could check the 2 seats as luggage (in a large bag each) and save yourself a LOT of hassle in the airport,since it sounds like you've already got a lot to pack thru,plus the kids themselves.
In fact, when we last traveled with a 2 year old, it was *tight* with him in the regular toddler carseat,and there was nowhere for his feet and legs to go except into the seat right in front of him (no yelling, we had Dad sit in that seat and take it)
Then you can ask for a gatecheck tag for each stroller at the gate, and you basically fold it before boarding and they take it for you.
But, be aware this means you then have to carry ALL of those bags onto the plane...and plane aisles are narrow,seats are fairly snug. I'm thinking travel logistics here with kids, not even tackling the need for seats wherever you'll be afterward.

Wow, I guess there aren't a ton of summer travelers on this thread. It's usually busy as all get out from 6am EST until fares drop. Everyone too busy freaking out about Christmas shopping? (Or are we back to missing posts?)

Our next flights to book are 8/17, so I've got the February 9th on my calendar.
I sadly don't have any summer plans with SW planned!!

We're going to Wisc in July and will be using either Delta or AA but after that trip - my vacation schedule is NONEXISTENT!!

which I'm totally bummed about....

DH and I are celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary next October and will be going somewhere but that hasn't been decided yet...

Wow, I guess there aren't a ton of summer travelers on this thread. It's usually busy as all get out from 6am EST until fares drop. Everyone too busy freaking out about Christmas shopping? (Or are we back to missing posts?)

Our next flights to book are 8/17, so I've got the February 9th on my calendar.
Our summer plans are Europe and SWA doesn't fly there :( those have long been booked with Air France and British Airways.

We did just make a late January trip just planned to Puerto Rico to use the Companion Pass but fares were already out with that time period a while back.

(Missing posts issue should be fixed though!)

I have kids in year round school and because of the track they are on, are in school all summer (mean mom planned that :D ). It means we can travel at less busy times.

For the next release:
On February 09, 2023, our schedule will open for sale through October 04, 2023. (Date is subject to change).

Prices were HIGH at opening!
I would normally be one of the ones stalking fares at opening for the summer on SW but this time around I snagged great non stop flights for august on Jet Blue on their Black Friday sale. I paid $78 each way from JFK! Excited about this. Seems like I came out way ahead even paying for bags by the look of these SW prices today smh.

Prices were HIGH at opening!
Mine weren't too bad when I checked around 9:00 AM. 18,000ish points RT for non-stop from CVG. Much to my surprise our departing flight has already gone down over 2,000 points so I got a nice little refund.

I am boarding on a SW flight at Orlando now. They are enforcing 2 adults only with kids in the family boarding, on our flight The flight next to us they announced due to the number of families there would be no family boarding and to use your boarding group/number.

Just mentioning it so people can plan.

I am boarding on a SW flight at Orlando now. They are enforcing 2 adults only with kids in the family boarding, on our flight The flight next to us they announced due to the number of families there would be no family boarding and to use your boarding group/number.

Yeah Orlando is one of the main destinations where you'll see family boarding revoked or following the policy to a T.

When you look at it it makes sense because it means most of the plane will have boarded with that so why wouldn't you just have people board in their boarding positions. It'll mean some who had C will yes board with that instead of with Family Boarding but from a boarding perspective it's what makes things faster.

Thanks for giving your experience in real time.

That is so random that it can happen on your flight but not the next one, since as you can see, you are finding 2 very different situations back to back. I don't think people can plan a thing. Which is more frustrating

That is so random that it can happen on your flight but not the next one, since as you can see, you are finding 2 very different situations back to back. I don't think people can plan a thing. Which is more frustrating
It's always been something you couldn't plan for. I've had it be announced both of what the PP mentioned albeit rarely (no Family Boarding has happened maybe once or twice) but it has happened. I've I more have had the strict adherence to what qualifies for Family Boarding where they'll be like "no not your uncle or aunt or cousin just 2 adults..."

You never should plan for Family Boarding as 100% guaranteed. Family Boarding should be your fall back not your main plan. It would be just someone's luck to not check in in a timely manner and get C then expect to do Family Boarding, it would be someone's luck to roll the dice without EBCI with kids thinking oh they'll just do Family Boarding, etc.

It should mainly depend on these two main factors for when they choose to not do Family Boarding:

1) which 737 they are flying because that determines the number of seats on the plane

2) how many kids are listed on the exact flight that would qualify for Family Boarding

For years it's been mentioned (quite a lot on this thread over time) that Orlando is one of the main destinations where Family Boarding can get suspended though it does happen to other airports.

My flight only had 3 families in family boarding. The flight next to us had at least 20, I was trying to count but we were group A so I couldn’t see the whole line at the gate next to us because I was already in line.

A new direct evening flight for early February was added on my departure date, this past Thursday. I was surprised. There must be demand, because prices were high with only two non stop options. Today the new flight was booking at $119 down from $173 on Thursday. Our original flight left at 7:00 and I paid $195/pp. Now we leave at 8:00 and I saved $76/pp by switching.

This is extremely helpful. Thank you for sharing your experience!!

While we no longer use family boarding, this would greatly have affected my dd and me. Since it was just the 2 of us and I knew we could board with families, I did not rush at the 24 hour mark to get out BG, instead leaving them for people who could actually benefit from a lower BG number.

A situation where they did not offer family boarding would have meant my desire to help someone else could have negatively affected us.

I appreciate you sharing what you saw! Thank you!!

Is anyone having trouble calling Southwest? I tried 6 times and can’t get past their recorded announcements. There was a discussion about using chat with SWA. Can someone tell me how to do this?

Is anyone having trouble calling Southwest? I tried 6 times and can’t get past their recorded announcements. There was a discussion about using chat with SWA. Can someone tell me how to do this?
I believe most people use FB Messenger. In the past, I have had luck using Twitter.

Thinking of renting a car. Less hassle than trying to take public bus (planning on doing Disney and Seaworld). I thought about just getting a backless booster for the oldest to use in FL, but both kids use harness car seats at home. Thought the seats might have less chance of damage if I pile them on the jogging stroller for trip thru airport, use seats on the plane, and gate check stroller. Now if the jogging stroller is too big and has to be counter checked, that completely changes things.

Good to know about 1 car seat per row. I didn't realize that.
You can gate check the strollers for sure, but I'd try to think how you can streamline this so you have less in your hands when you're boarding the plane. I've taken 2 seats on the plane before (narrow, lightweight inexpensive carseats that we've used specifically for air travel over the years) but it was stressful getting onto the plane once the stroller had to be folded and we were suddenly holding both seats, plus the carry ons, and personal items and trying to drag it all to the plane. My youngest is 4 now and we noticed this last trip that she doesn't really even need the stroller in the airport; it's really only needed in the park. We do have a good, padded stroller bag so I think next time we travel we're going to check the stroller at ticketing and just carry the carseat with us. (I know there are varied opinions on carseats for flying, but the FAA and AAP recommend them and we've always done them until my kids got to booster height. Never any issues.) We've also drastically cut down on carry on's and personal items which has helped (my kids never carried their own; maybe yours will do better!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter