Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

Our October flights from New Orleans were changed...both arriving and departing...I was able to go online and move them to different flights (they moved us from non stop to a one stop flight) back to non stop flights just at slightly different times. Has anyone had their changed flight changed again? Should I be checking multiple times?

They should send you an email saying that the flight is changed. That said, I always periodically check these days. If I see it before the email arrives I have a better selection of flights if I don't like the one they put me on or the change that was made.

How long do I have to cancel one of 2 flights before they cancel for me? FWIW they are 12 hours apart with same strip city but different departure cities (family was gonna travel together but now some might meet us there instead)

Depends on your fare class with Southwest. If it is a wanna get away, you will not get a refund but a travel credit. Can only be used by the ticketed passenger. Good for 1 years from the time of booking - not the flight itself.

"If you do not wish to travel, you must cancel your booking at least 24 hours prior to scheduled departure of the flight to be eligible for a refund. Refund will be made to you subject to applicable cancellation charges. Please note that cancellation policy is subject to change without notice."

And they just changed my dh and ds flights to Phoenix on 11/4. They moved the only non stop of the day (that they were on) up by 35 minutes. And instead of leaving them on that flight they put them on a connecting flight doubling their travel time.

They can call and asked to be switched to the non-stop flight. If there are seats they will put them on it at no charge. I am surprised they completely moved them. If they were on it before, they should have just received notice the flight time was changed. I would for sure call them. Or have them go out to the airport. I had to do that on a recent flight out of Phx on SWA. Going to the airport and talking directly with them at the ticket counter was the best thing I did.

Before I actually go through with this, I just wanted to make sure I had the scenario correct in my head. I am cancelling flights for my family of 4 that I purchased with 4 separate gift cards. Each flight was $99 and the gift cards were $100 each.

1) Is there anyway to get the gift cards refunded rather than a travel credit issued?

2) My kids do not have Rapid Rewards accounts. How will the travel credits go back to their name/retrieved later?

3) If I rebook with those funds, can I purchase a $79 flight and add on EBCI all with those funds?

I have only ever booked using points, so I appreciate any help!

First - depends on what the classification of the fare. If it was a wanna get away fare (assuming it was at the fare), they only issue refunds in terms of travel credits. You will need to keep the reservation number and you will use that in applying those funds to a future flight. If you used 4 gift cards - the total of the 4 will be on that reservation confirmation number. They will not be issued separately. The ticketed passenger is the only passenger that will be able to use those travel credits. The Credit will be good for 1 years FROM booking. This is important. It is not one day from the travel date on the ticket.

Flying home from MCO, there was a gigantic Southwest line. There was a lot of confusion as to where the line began. There was 1 person with a sign and another walking around staring at the line, but not actually doing anything 🙄. It actually went quickly. When you get up to the marked off lines with the kiosks we stayed to the left and got our tags etc. For some reason no one was going to the left. Got through quickly.
Thank you!

They can call and asked to be switched to the non-stop flight. If there are seats they will put them on it at no charge. I am surprised they completely moved them. If they were on it before, they should have just received notice the flight time was changed. I would for sure call them. Or have them go out to the airport. I had to do that on a recent flight out of Phx on SWA. Going to the airport and talking directly with them at the ticket counter was the best thing I did.
Oh yeah I have already done that. I did it online for them.

How long do I have to cancel one of 2 flights before they cancel for me? FWIW they are 12 hours apart with same strip city but different departure cities (family was gonna travel together but now some might meet us there instead)
It should happen overnight as soon as the second reservation is made. In reality, 12 hours apart might be far enough that SW IT doesn't catch it, especially if were a shorter flight.
First - depends on what the classification of the fare. If it was a wanna get away fare (assuming it was at the fare), they only issue refunds in terms of travel credits.

The Credit will be good for 1 years FROM booking. This is important. It is not one day from the travel date on the ticket.
No, it doesn't. All Gift Card transactions are only given back as TF.

More importantly, travel must be completed by the expiration date, not just booked.

Our November flight got changed late last night, from nonstop leaving around 7 am to Noon with a layover and plane change. I was able to change to a different non-stop flight (leaving at 12:30, arriving at 3:50) but super confused by what I'm seeing now: four or five separate flights, leaving from ALB at the same time (5:45 am) to MCO with different layovers and stuff. Seems really weird.

It should happen overnight as soon as the second reservation is made. In reality, 12 hours apart might be far enough that SW IT doesn't catch it, especially if were a shorter flight.

No, it doesn't. All Gift Card transactions are only given back as TF.

More importantly, travel must be completed by the expiration date, not just booked.

On all my flights the expiration date is 1 year from the date booked. May be different for gift cards but that is how it is on LUV vouchers too. Just had to spend almost $2000 in TF over the last 18 months due to cancelled flights because of the pandemic. Was a little crazy.

Our November flight got changed late last night, from nonstop leaving around 7 am to Noon with a layover and plane change. I was able to change to a different non-stop flight (leaving at 12:30, arriving at 3:50) but super confused by what I'm seeing now: four or five separate flights, leaving from ALB at the same time (5:45 am) to MCO with different layovers and stuff. Seems really weird.

I see that lot from ALB. I think a lot of flights terminate in Albany, then tge next morning they start out routes all over, very early.

Just to double check since it's been a couple of years since I've flown SW. We only need to check in the confirmation number once even if there's more than one person on the reservation right?

I'm sorry your trip has had to be rescheduled so many times. This uncertain time is such a bummer and takes away the excitement a little bit. We are planning a January trip too. I have my fingers crossed the border restrictions will loosen and we won't have to quarantine at home. I don't mind if we have to do the COVID test but adding an extra 10 days is a lot. I'm waiting for Southwest to open up too in September. I don't know if I can wait that long, I might have to bite the bullet and go with JetBlue or Delta.
I understand that. We'll be staying with SW as we have enough points to travel that way and it makes it easy to cancel if we need to again and we also received our taxes back too. Can't beat service like that!!

Sounded like a lot of lip service to me. No explanation for why they are changing flights well into October now. No explanation for cutting flights from so many cities even now. No explanation for moving flights by 15 minutes then changing flight numbers & moving passengers because of it.

Yeah, funny that our flight that was cancelled was the latest one out of MCO, and those are the flights the article claims they are having to add. Bunch of bull puckey.

I've been following this thread for a while now. After seeing what everyone else is going thru, now I am nervous about flights we booked for December. I keep hoping things will settled down, but I guess I just don't really understand why this is happening. Makes me extra nervous because we have 11 flying into MCO on the same flight. I'm picturing trying to snag new flights with so many tickets.

<<I'll just wait over here, with my head in the sand, hoping it settles down>>

I've been following this thread for a while now. After seeing what everyone else is going thru, now I am nervous about flights we booked for December. I keep hoping things will settled down, but I guess I just don't really understand why this is happening. Makes me extra nervous because we have 11 flying into MCO on the same flight. I'm picturing trying to snag new flights with so many tickets.

Unless you have several lap children flying with you, there is more than one confirmation number for the group. You might want to contact Southwest to see if they can notate each confirmation number to associate with the other(s), so if there is a change, they move everyone together. Hopefully, there won’t be any changes.

Unless you have several lap children flying with you, there is more than one confirmation number for the group. You might want to contact Southwest to see if they can notate each confirmation number to associate with the other(s), so if there is a change, they move everyone together. Hopefully, there won’t be any changes.

Nope, only 2 kids (ages 3 & 6). Good thought, I'll try to contact them soon. I'm hearing people post about November dates already.

I really believe this is due to shortage in staff. I hope December all is good. With Sept 6th coming soon, maybe they cancelled some October flights because they wanted to make sure enough people were back and trained.

I would agree that you should get all of the reservation numbers associated with each other ASAP. We had a group of 8 people flying together on a non-stop flight in April, and there were many, many changes from the time of booking until the day that we flew. The first few times it was a fire drill getting us all rebooked onto the same flight again. Once we had the reservation numbers associated as traveling together, we did not have any further issues.

I asked this in another thread, but thought I’d ask here as well.

For those who’ve flown out of MCO recently, do they have skycaps checking luggage at the curb?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!